Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #1561
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I used to live in his ward, Davidson’s got my vote for mayor!

He is young, down to earth and actually got back to me. Also I like him too because he revitalized the new arena project.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #1562
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I don't know much about him. If he takes votes from Farkas (unlikely IMHO) that is good. If he takes from Gondek that is not so good.
My fear is that he’ll take more votes from Gondek, opening the path for Farkas.

I really hope I’m wrong.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #1563
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not sure who Davison’s supporters will be. Gondek is going to capture the progressive voters and Farkas will attract the spending / tax cutting supporters.

Gondek is also not a radical left candidate. She understands growth, economics, etc. I don’t think many people who want to vote for her have a reason to jump to Davison. I also don’t think the tax cutting supporters are going to get enough comfort from Davison’s track record of voting to spend.

The voters I know who like Farkas are sticking with Farkas. The voters I know who like Gondek are sticking with Gondek.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #1564
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think the big thing will be is that Davison and Gondek will be very public and open to debates, which I think Farkas has been trying to stay away from.. Also he is going to have a problem with as we get closer to election day there will be less opportunity for his to grandstand as things will slow down at council.

Wouldn't surprise me Davison starts promoting his previous oil and gas experiences.. Grab that crowd.. I also think he will be well funded so you will see lots of promotion for him.
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #1565
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree Bourque's Twin, I don't really see Davison putting his name in the hat actually moving the needle much at all. However, if anything this is good for Farkas, as tvp2003 wrote, because it might draw votes away from Gondek. Farkas voters are Farkas voters, I don't foresee any other candidate siphoning off him.

MegaErtz's entire take on this is... bafflingly off-base to me.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #1566
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Just because it's a three-way race now doesn't mean it'll be that way on election day. A candidate may drop out or bleed support if they don't get favourable pre-election polling.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #1567
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Davidson will win this with ease.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:53 AM   #1568
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I agree Bourque's Twin, I don't really see Davison putting his name in the hat actually moving the needle much at all. However, if anything this is good for Farkas, as tvp2003 wrote, because it might draw votes away from Gondek. Farkas voters are Farkas voters, I don't foresee any other candidate siphoning off him.

MegaErtz's entire take on this is... bafflingly off-base to me.
I do think that with Davison is the forerunner currently, making there be two strong contenders. This does help Farkas in regards of vote splitting between Davison and Gondek, but I don't know if Farkas has enough support to be able to come up the middle to win the election. As time gets closure and closure to voting day, his policies and debate appearances (or lack of if he choses to avoid) will shed more light on him to the general voter.

It's definitely a more interesting race now. Hopefully Farkas doesn't become the mayor that no one really wanted due to the competition eating each other up.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #1569
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

My take is Davison entering the race hurts Farkas more than Gondek. He's yet another conservative guy running on a pro-business platform. I don't always agree with Gondek, but my impression is she generally wants to move Calgary forward in a progressive direction. Davison is just Dave Bronconnier 2.0: a bought and paid for shill clearly in the pockets of developer interests who will try to maintain the status quo for Calgary as it existed in the 1990s. He's likely to be an attractive choice for older and moderately conservative voters who would probably otherwise vote for Farkas over Gondek in a two-way race. I don't see him picking up many Gondek supporters, but maybe I'm reading the situation wrong.

Last edited by MarchHare; 05-13-2021 at 09:16 AM.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #1570
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Gondek and Farkas have more name value. Davison seems to have this vanilla double agent status on Council, I don't get him and I doubt many people do. Only thing I know about him is that he can sound like a greasy salesman for private interests. Oh goody.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #1571
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any indication of UCP-backed candidates running in this election?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #1572
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is there any indication of UCP-backed candidates running in this election?
Maybe not point-blank backed, but there is an undertone to a candidate in my ward that seems like it. They have the same signs as the CBE slate that ran last election (or very close). I saw the sign and it opened up my eyes (sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway...I hate the very idea at the municipal level and if that slate appears more formal, I refuse to vote for them on principle.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #1573
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I saw an article that went over candidates in each Ward as well as the mayoral candidates that did a quick brief. I'll try and find it again.

Here it is:

Meet The Calgarians Running For Mayor And Council

Generally speaking, anyone who is aligned with the "Save Calgary", "Take Back City Hall" crowd and/or aligned with the Manning Centre is likely your go-to candidate. That's my rule of thumb.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #1574
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
My take is Davison entering the race hurts Farkas more than Gondek. He's yet another conservative guy running on a pro-business platform. I don't always agree with Gondek, but my impression is she generally wants to move Calgary forward in a progressive direction. Davison is just Dave Bronconnier 2.0: a bought and paid for shill clearly in the pockets of developer interests who will try to maintain the status quo for Calgary as it existed in the 1990s. He's likely to be an attractive choice for older and moderately conservative voters who would probably otherwise vote for Farkas over Gondek in a two-way race. I don't see him picking up many Gondek supporters, but maybe I'm reading the situation wrong.
Bronconnier was mayor for 10 years. I expect Davison would be happy to wear that comparison. Do you really think Calgary is all that much different than it was from 2001 to 2010?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #1575
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
My take is Davison entering the race hurts Farkas more than Gondek. He's yet another conservative guy running on a pro-business platform. I don't always agree with Gondek, but my impression is she generally wants to move Calgary forward in a progressive direction. Davison is just Dave Bronconnier 2.0: a bought and paid for shill clearly in the pockets of developer interests who will do try to maintain the status quo for Calgary as it existed in the 1990s. He's likely to be an attractive choice for older and moderately conservative voters who would probably otherwise vote for Farkas over Gondek in a two-way race. I don't see him picking up many Gondek supporters, but maybe I'm reading the situation wrong.
This is basically how I see it... except that I don't think there's a big difference between Gondek and Davison, I think the perceived difference is mostly performative.

But yeah, Davison is mostly a naked Corporatist shill who'll run on a pro-business platform and the pool of voters he'll draw from would probably land more in the Farkas camp then the Gondek camp.

Frankly I'd probably rather have Farkas as Mayor then Davison. Farkas isn't suited for the job, he doesn't convince people to vote his way as counselor and I don't see how he would be that much better at doing it as Mayor. Davison... he probably could. They'd both do a bad job but I think Davison could probably be more effective at doing a bad job.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #1576
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I saw an article that went over candidates in each Ward as well as the mayoral candidates that did a quick brief. I'll try and find it again.

Here it is:

Meet The Calgarians Running For Mayor And Council

Generally speaking, anyone who is aligned with the "Save Calgary", "Take Back City Hall" crowd and/or aligned with the Manning Centre is likely your go-to candidate. That's my rule of thumb.
After reading that, thankfully I've moved from Ward 13 because that is a political wasteland. Not that the options for me are much better, but that looks particularly grim at this point!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #1577
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Gondek endorsed any of the Ward 3 replacement candidates? Because I can't seem to get a handle on any of them outside of generalized platitudes and am curious who she sees as best suited as her successor.

Nate Pike might be the most progressive overall, but his website's information is pretty lacking. I guess I might have to listen to his podcast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-13-2021 at 10:11 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #1578
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nate Pike has followed me on Twitter; I’m not in Calgary. He seems like a good candidate from what I can see. There may be lots of turnover on council in Calgary and Edmonton with both mayors stepping down.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #1579
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
This is basically how I see it... except that I don't think there's a big difference between Gondek and Davison, I think the perceived difference is mostly performative.

But yeah, Davison is mostly a naked Corporatist shill who'll run on a pro-business platform and the pool of voters he'll draw from would probably land more in the Farkas camp then the Gondek camp.

Frankly I'd probably rather have Farkas as Mayor then Davison. Farkas isn't suited for the job, he doesn't convince people to vote his way as counselor and I don't see how he would be that much better at doing it as Mayor. Davison... he probably could. They'd both do a bad job but I think Davison could probably be more effective at doing a bad job.
Agree with this except the last part. I would much rather have Davison than Farkas.

I agree with your opinions on Gondek and Davison though. While I would be fine with Davison winning, I don't think he is the right choice and would generally be a status quo style of candidate. I would like to see his "vision" for the city beyond "new arena, new businesses!"

I guess that is why we have campagins - to see what the candidates actually want to accomplish.

My worry, which is somewhat similar to your last comment, is that Davison turns into a Bronco 2.0. Where the focus on downtown is merely attracting business and corporate offices back while failing to offer any more benefits to living in the inner city.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #1580
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Nate Pike has followed me on Twitter; I’m not in Calgary. He seems like a good candidate from what I can see. There may be lots of turnover on council in Calgary and Edmonton with both mayors stepping down.
There are some great candidates running in Edmonton's wards. The mayoral candidates leave a lot to be desired, but it appears Amarjeet Sohi may be announcing his candidacy for the mayor race which would instantly make him the front-runner.

Both cities are going to be fun to watch. I think Calgary's is going to have more nail-biters though.

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat