Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #2161
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just turn subtitles on.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:12 AM   #2162
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a huge thread that I rarely keep up on, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I had 6 people tell me how great Big Mouth is. I could barely get through the first episode. I watched two more just in case it might have just been a bad episode, but nope, still trash.

I just do not understand why anyone would find that show funny or entertaining. There is so much awful packed into 25 minutes.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #2163
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried an episode of Big Mouth too. I thought it was okay-ish but the urge to watch any more is completely non existent
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #2164
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This is a huge thread that I rarely keep up on, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I had 6 people tell me how great Big Mouth is. I could barely get through the first episode. I watched two more just in case it might have just been a bad episode, but nope, still trash.

I just do not understand why anyone would find that show funny or entertaining. There is so much awful packed into 25 minutes.
On the other side of the coin I finished the season yesterday and might just watch it again. Humour is a tricky business as tastes are all over the place. Obviously Big Mouth operates quite a bit over the line. It's certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #2165
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Bright was not good. Not at all.
You might enjoy this
https://www.flophousepodcast.com/201...de-248-bright/
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #2166
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Re: Bright

I appreciate that they essentially tried to do a contemporary Tolkienesque movie--Law & Order: Middle Earth--but they crammed so much into it, it felt like such a mess. A tighter story would have benefited the film considerably.

However, the little details, the world-building that was thrown in like the Centaur cops in a couple scenes, the dragon flying over the city at one point and the world specific graffiti that was just kind of there - some of that was pretty cool. While I didn't care for the movie, I'd be lying if I said I weren't looking forward to revisiting the world in the sequel.
I found the opposite. The biggest flaw was that the plot was too predictable. I would have liked to see a more complex plot with more crammed in. Most of the critiques of the film focus on it being overly derivative and too simplistic in its handling of social issues.

It might have been a concept that worked better as a mini-series. I am looking forward to a sequel. Maybe it's not something I would see in theatres, but as far as made for Netflix content goes, I thought it was very entertaining.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #2167
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I found the opposite. The biggest flaw was that the plot was too predictable. I would have liked to see a more complex plot with more crammed in. Most of the critiques of the film focus on it being overly derivative and too simplistic in its handling of social issues.

It might have been a concept that worked better as a mini-series. I am looking forward to a sequel. Maybe it's not something I would see in theatres, but as far as made for Netflix content goes, I thought it was very entertaining.
Will Smith has jumped the shark.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #2168
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Will Smith has jumped the shark.
Really? When? He's making the same movies playing a similar character as he always has. Maybe you think he has gotten stale, but that is not the same thing as jumping the shark.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #2169
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really? When? He's making the same movies playing a similar character as he always has. Maybe you think he has gotten stale, but that is not the same thing as jumping the shark.
It’s a matter of context. Instead of a show declining in popularity it’s the actor and he’s right. Smith no longer is a big draw. In fact you can argue that him headlining a movie seals it’s fate as a box office failure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #2170
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not what jumping the shark means...

Quote:
Jumping the Shark is the moment when an established long-running series changes in a significant manner in an attempt to stay fresh. Ironically, that moment makes the viewers realize that the show's finally run out of ideas. It's reached its peak, it'll never be the same again, and from now on it's all downhill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #2171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of like how Smith a long running star has reached his peak and is on a downhill slope. Why are you getting all technical? We all know what the poster was insinuating with his comment. Are you a Smith fan or something?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #2172
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saving the world from the abuse of misusing phrases, one internet post at a time.

At this point anyone watching a Will Smith film should know what they are getting with Will Smith. He's almost the opposite of jumping the shark, because he doesn't change at all.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #2173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just saving the world from the abuse of misusing phrases, one internet post at a time.

At this point anyone watching a Will Smith film should know what they are getting with Will Smith. He's almost the opposite of jumping the shark, because he doesn't change at all.
Dude. I listen to the guy that is responsible for creating Jump the Shark on a weekly basis. I've heard his story on the airwaves several times on it's origins from Happy Days. You probably don't even know who John Hein is for crying out loud. Do us a favor and save this thread by not sidetracking it with nonsense like this. We all know the poster was getting at.

Will Smith has changed. He went from being Will Smith to taking himself seriously trying to win Oscars and it's been all down hill since.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #2174
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never expected to meet someone on the internet that was a shark jumping fanboy, but I guess here we are. But if you think Will Smith is any different in Bright than he was in MIB, you aren't really paying attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #2175
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never expected to meet someone on the internet that was a shark jumping fanboy, but I guess here we are. But if you think Will Smith is any different in Bright than he was in MIB, you aren't really paying attention.
I think you simply aren't paying attention to the argument as we know what the original poster was getting at. He is definitely different. He went from the "I'm Will Smith" wink wink that everyone loved to "I'm a serious actor" and now he's terrible.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-26-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #2176
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished watching Luther and really enjoyed it. Seasons are short - the last one (though I think they are shooting a new one now) is only 2 episodes
It is a different kind of cop drama to be sure. But it is elevated but Elba who is just terrific.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #2177
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
So I took the suggestion of the CP faithful and started watching season 4 of Black Mirror (USS Callister). Exactly what I had been told to expect, and brilliant.

Can't wait to watch the rest of season 4 and dig back to season 3.

Thanks to those that offered that advice!
Maybe leave Black Museum for the last after watching other seasons. It'll be that much more rewarding.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #2178
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm the only person in NA to have watched Dirk Gently season 2.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #2179
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I watched it. I enjoyed season one more but I still liked it

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #2180
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I watched it - started off loving season 2, but it lost my interest as it went along. The alternate, fantasy world did nothing for me, so the more time the show spent in that reality, the less I enjoyed it.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote