Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #461
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
You resent him for aging?
I don't resent the man at all. Iginla is one of my favorite players. I loved the game he played back in the day. He was the Calgary version of Mark Messier - tough, skilled, mean, and a guy with a burning fire. Would love to have a team full of Iginlas, circa 2000-2007. Want nothing to do with the player in the years from 2008-present.

What I do resent is the refusal to acknowledge that the player has changed his game, that the player has aged, and that the player is not the same, nor has been the same one people remember, for the better part of a decade. The whole Iginla thing is really no different that the whole Fleury thing when people suggested he be given opportunity to come back. Even though it was extremely obvious that the player could no longer perform there was still a ground swell of support to let him play, even though it would have hurt the hockey team. That is what I resent. Not the player, but the denial of the fans that players fade and are no longer capable of playing.

The last thing I want to see is for Iginla to sign here, not live up to expectations, and then become a whipping boy. For example, imagine how badly it would turn out for Iginla if he came in and posted numbers worse than Troy Brouwer did this past season? And just a reminder, Brouwer was 13G, 25P, and -11 last season. Iginla was 14G, 27P, and -30 last season. The potential for that outcome is pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #462
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not an argument for signing Iggy, because I don't think we should, but I can't imagine anyone would be upset if he came in and put up worse numbers than brouwer did this year, provided he was making much less than brouwer.
I don't think brouwer would have been the whipping boy if he was making 1.5 million less/year.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #463
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What I do resent is the refusal to acknowledge that the player has changed his game, that the player has aged, and that the player is not the same, nor has been the same one people remember, for the better part of a decade. The whole Iginla thing is really no different that the whole Fleury thing when people suggested he be given opportunity to come back. Even though it was extremely obvious that the player could no longer perform there was still a ground swell of support to let him play, even though it would have hurt the hockey team. That is what I resent. Not the player, but the denial of the fans that players fade and are no longer capable of playing.
You can't find a Flames fan alive that "refuses to acknowledge" that he's lost more than a step, and isn't the same player he was 10 years ago. Not one.

Also, this is sports. People are emotional about it. They have their favorites, old and new. It's not going to be a lot of fun for you if you resent (your word) their wistful memories and dreams of having the old star take one last turn on the ice for the local heroes.

Nostalgia, irrational devotion, and happy endings are part of being a fan and a big part of the fun.

If you don't want him to come back (and I'm not a particular fan of the idea either) that's fine, but resentment against those that do and rambling about Ronald Reagan seems a lot more irrational than hoping for a return of the old hero.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #464
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
You can't find a Flames fan alive that "refuses to acknowledge" that he's lost more than a step, and isn't the same player he was 10 years ago. Not one.

Also, this is sports. People are emotional about it. They have their favorites, old and new. It's not going to be a lot of fun for you if you resent (your word) their wistful memories and dreams of having the old star take one last turn on the ice for the local heroes.

Nostalgia, irrational devotion, and happy endings are part of being a fan and a big part of the fun.

If you don't want him to come back (and I'm not a particular fan of the idea either) that's fine, but resentment against those that do and rambling about Ronald Reagan seems a lot more irrational than hoping for a return of the old hero.
No its just like Reagan.

Also reminds me of Amelia Earhart and new Coke.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #465
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Old 07-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #466
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'll bet $10,000
Deal?
I'd I'm wrong, I owe you 1 billion or so
Old 07-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #467
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

####. Those last couple posts made me laugh too hard.

I think Treliving should sign him, if only just to calm everybody's tits when they see that he is just an average player now and it was merely just an okay, but not amazing idea all along. Especially when the fawning and fanboying subsides after that first game or two.

Also hilarious that people think there was so much drama during his tenure, and if he comes back, he is going to end up in a battle to the death knife fight with Giordano because he's incapable of taking a backseat in a depth role.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #468
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What I do resent is the refusal to acknowledge that the player has changed his game, that the player has aged, and that the player is not the same, nor has been the same one people remember, for the better part of a decade.
...where?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #469
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy was a stud and still remains a competitor. If they bring him back, it will be a well defined role that suits him and the team. What's the fuss?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #470
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Iggy was a stud and still remains a competitor. If they bring him back, it will be a well defined role that suits him and the team. What's the fuss?
That is the the question. Is he willing to accept the role the team sees him in. Would he be willing to be the 13th forward on some nights as the team tries to manage his ice time (same applies for Jagr).

The problem with 35+ contracts is they count regardless of where the player is (only 100k cap relief if player demoted to minors). That is why I am hesitant of giving multiple millions to either player. I also don't think either of the older players would be effective without managing games, which means you will need to make sure you have room for another body.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #471
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is a spot for him as our designated tough guy on our 4th line with some PP duty. Probably play about 60 games with a 2M contract for the year.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #472
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Iginla Destination Discussion

Literally no one is sitting back thinking Iggy is bringing the same game he did 10 or even 5 years ago. We acknowledge it, accept it, and still see all the positives that Iggy brings and think that he could benefit the team.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-12-2017 at 01:21 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #473
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely disagree on not giving Fleury another chance the year where he did great in the preseason.. He still had moves.. Signing him wouldn't have been a detriment to the team, the team SUCKED that year. We could either have sucked slightly more or sucked slightly less but it would have been a heck of a lot more fun.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #474
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I definitely disagree on not giving Fleury another chance the year where he did great in the preseason.. He still had moves.. Signing him wouldn't have been a detriment to the team, the team SUCKED that year. We could either have sucked slightly more or sucked slightly less but it would have been a heck of a lot more fun.
Exactly why we should sign Jarome. I want to fix the mistake of 2009
Old 07-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #475
Yappin Tappin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

So I wasn't planning on posting this because I wanted to keep my conversation private, but just to dispel the notion by some here that Iggy would never want to come back here, I will tell my story. Mods feel free to PM to get further detail and facts.

I spoke to a member of Flames management last week and jokingly asked if we were bringing back Iggy. The individual said he's spoken to Iginla and he's training super hard this summer because he feels he has 1 more year left in him. Iggy knew he wasn't going to be a priority guy this summer so he's being patient while trying to still be ready for the season in hopes he will be signed somewhere. Iginla even said to this individual something along the lines of "so you guys need RWers right?", and said he has shown interest in coming back to Calgary. Now the question is whether Flames management think there's a fit. But they will speak to Iginla's agent and consider it an option.

So in conclusion, contrary to some people's opinions, Iginla is willing to come back to Calgary to play if the Flames will have him and the fit makes sense.
The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to Yappin Tappin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #476
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
In hindsight sure, but the team wasn't expected to suck that year were they?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #477
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
In hindsight sure, but the team wasn't expected to suck that year were they?
Who cares, the point is still valid that Fleury had earned his spot by his play in pre-season and was a great marketing opportunity that the Flames organization absolutely blew.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #478
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want to see the Calgary flames play the best hockey possible. That's why I'm a sth - to attend live games with the hope my team comes out with the win. Not to wax over a former player who is maybe starving off retirement by picking up any possible deal he can
Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #479
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Coaches/GMs do love a great marketing opportunity.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #480
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Who cares, the point is still valid that Fleury had earned his spot by his play in pre-season and was a great marketing opportunity that the Flames organization absolutely blew.
I agree 100%, but I don't think the Flames are that high on Fleury. There is a reason his number still isn't retired, or put up in the rafters for the "Forever A Flame" BS. In fact, the NHL doesn't seem too high on him either as he still hasn't been inducted to the HHOF. We all know the reasons why, but I still think his number should be in the rafters and he should also be in the HHOF.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread