Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2023, 03:51 PM   #3081
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the other problem Brand will have is he is basically an actual lefty/anarchist at heart, he isnt going to readily rub shoulders with the Proud Boy My Pillow crew, I suspect they will not make easy bedfellows
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #3082
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's also ####ing unbearable and I have on idea how someone could pay money to listen to that muppet talk for 2 hours. Like, who made this guy famous? It's their fault.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:28 PM   #3083
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I think the other problem Brand will have is he is basically an actual lefty/anarchist at heart, he isnt going to readily rub shoulders with the Proud Boy My Pillow crew, I suspect they will not make easy bedfellows
It seems to me he's already gone that way. The alt-right definitely got weird during the pandemic. It attracted a bunch of formerly quite leftists people. You had all sorts of movements that were formerly pretty far left doing an about 180. Alternative medicine, anti-big pharma, anti-corporate, anti-food additive types, etc.. They all united under the "freedom" banner.

He may just be doing it for the views, but Brand is pretty squarely promoting himself to those people. He may actually have lots of views that are left wing, but he's lost that audience with his current platform.

Brand already has lots of content on Rumble. That's likely where he's already making his money. So he likely just leans more into that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 04:29 PM   #3084
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
He's also ####ing unbearable and I have on idea how someone could pay money to listen to that muppet talk for 2 hours. Like, who made this guy famous? It's their fault.
Can't believe he is almost 50.

He looks like a crazy as well.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:30 PM   #3085
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I actually found him pretty hilarious in Get Him to the Greek. Only because he was playing a complete a-hole and was very good at it. Apparently his real life persona isn't that different than Aldous Snow. I can see why he would make a good events host or is entertaining in limited doses.

I don't know why someone would want to spend large amounts of time listening to or being around him though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:43 PM   #3086
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at his IMDB to see what he's done recently (not much, it turns out) and I don't think I ever knew that his character in Get Him to the Greek is the same as the one he plays in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I thought it was just typecasting.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:46 PM   #3087
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It seems to me he's already gone that way. The alt-right definitely got weird during the pandemic. It attracted a bunch of formerly quite leftists people. You had all sorts of movements that were formerly pretty far left doing an about 180. Alternative medicine, anti-big pharma, anti-corporate, anti-food additive types, etc.. They all united under the "freedom" banner.
Yeah, there’s a lot of overlap between the off-the-grid, CBD cures cancer, never trust a cop, hippy left and the alt-right. Green Party supporters were more likely to say they had a lot in common with the Freedom Convoy protestors than Conservative supporters.

https://abacusdata.ca/freedom-convoy...february-2022/

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-18-2023 at 04:49 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 04:50 PM   #3088
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect they will not make easy bedfellows
That's not a problem for Brand.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 06:50 PM   #3089
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, there’s a lot of overlap between the off-the-grid, CBD cures cancer, never trust a cop, hippy left and the alt-right. Green Party supporters were more likely to say they had a lot in common with the Freedom Convoy protestors than Conservative supporters.

https://abacusdata.ca/freedom-convoy...february-2022/
I think someone here said left right is not a spectrum but a circle. If you go too far into the crazy left, you end up with the crazy right.

I know more than a couple people who I thought were the most liberal people I knew (but with essential oils/natural foods/pyramid scheme nutrion product tendencies), who were anti-pharma and mildly anti-vax before, who became off the rails republican supporters post covid.

I think Brand and RFK jr fit that bill, and there are enough of them out there that RFK jr actually has a little better than insignificant poll numbers.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:55 PM   #3090
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Can't believe he is almost 50.

He looks like a crazy as well.
I said it a few posts back, but seriously...put an image of Brand next to an image of Charles Manson.

I'm telling you its uncanny...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:07 PM   #3091
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As an aside, Billy Connelly's standup is very funny.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 07:12 PM   #3092
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
That man is a genuine treasure!

You should watch some of his travel documentaries, they are astounding. I'd go on a vacation with Billy Connelly in a heartbeat.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #3093
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That man is a genuine treasure!

You should watch some of his travel documentaries, they are astounding. I'd go on a vacation with Billy Connelly in a heartbeat.
sadly the Big Yin's health is not great, his traveling days are over
Old 09-18-2023, 08:15 PM   #3094
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Connelly on the horrendous abuse his father meted out to him as a child, he had the grimest upbringing you could imagine but it was all grist for his mill

"Sometimes, when father hit me, I flew over the settee backwards in a sitting position. It was fabulous. Just like real flying, except you didn't get a cup of tea or a safety belt or anything."[
Old 09-18-2023, 08:21 PM   #3095
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sadly the Big Yin's health is not great, his traveling days are over
I could get a motorbike with a sidecar and he could get a fun helmet and everything!

And I'd get him a high-powered pellet rifle so he could shoot rapists as we pass by.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 12:51 AM   #3096
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on the Russell Brand allegations?

Interesting case in that Russell is transparent about the promiscuity of his drug-addled days, and has made concerted efforts to turn his life around in the public eye and serve people positively. Which goes to say there may be truth to these claims because he was once a pretty troubled celeb with problems, but it also appears to be a concerted smear campaign by a couple news outlets after Brand has been poking the bear for some time now with his commentary and perhaps flew too close to the sun, and now someone wants him canceled (or so he claims). He's now been demonetized on YouTube and gone into radio silence on his usually bustling channel.

Personally, I'll let the courts decide. Until then, will reserve judgment.

But its shaping up to be a very curious and controversial case.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:04 AM   #3097
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

Interesting case in that Russell is transparent about the promiscuity of his drug-addled days, and has made concerted efforts to turn his life around in the public eye and serve people positively. Which goes to say there may be truth to these claims because he was once a pretty troubled celeb with problems, but it also appears to be a concerted smear campaign by a couple news outlets after Brand has been poking the bear for some time now with his commentary and perhaps flew too close to the sun, and now someone wants him canceled (or so he claims). He's now been demonetized on YouTube and gone into radio silence on his usually bustling channel.

lot of articles from female comics and actors going back years to what a predator he was, and he was on their informal "list" they shared with one another of who to avoid.

This looks like one of those times when the chickens finally come home to roost.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/russell...an-1235549112/

Russell Brand’s last major television job in the UK ended with him being dropped after he was repeatedly accused of being a “sexual predator” during the recording of the show.

One person familiar with the matter said Brand was “absolutely furious” at being targeted by Ryan. This person said other comedians may have also called out Brand, though this has not been confirmed by those who worked on the show. Two other sources said he demanded that producers protect him from being roasted by his fellow comedians.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:10 AM   #3098
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I always thought Brand was insufferable.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #3099
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Brand obviously tried to get ahead of the story and manipulate people into believing it is some campaign against him because he fights for freedom of speech or some bull####, but he is very obviously a predator.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 07:22 AM   #3100
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is nothing interesting or controversial about a conspiracy theorist claiming they are being persecuted for revealing the "truth" that "they" do not want you to hear.

It's about as interesting and convincing as an athlete busted for steroids claiming his drink was spiked.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: