Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #3561
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Equality is not about words, it’s about actions. Being told what we can and cannot say, what we should or should not say, or what is or isn’t offensive helps create division and further apathy towards true equality, be it race, religion or sexuality. Words are the low hanging fruit, gay bashing, religious persecution and police selection/ training and policies the issue.

What I would like to hear, and what would go along way in dealing with the ignorance within my own extended family would be something like. “You know what? Call me whatever the **** you want, but treat me equal!!” That would be a better bridge to build then saying “nope can’t use the word thug” or not using ethnicity when describing a suspect, or mandating X% of work force must be visible minority.

There is a massive part of the population who believe the pendulum in society has swung passed equal and gone to special. This creates further problems and ignorance among the already ignorant. Being told to say Black Lives Matter and you can’t say All Lives Matter is just one example.
Special as in having your vote taken away from you, living in a system that makes it all but impossible you can claw your way out of poverty by making sure you get a second class education, unequal access to even decent food, minimal healthcare and the semi regular stop and frisk that white people with a dime bag of weed in their pocket never have to worry about, and for good measure the occasional murder by cop that is life for black America

hope to God I'm never special then.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #3562
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
In retrospect Black Lives Matter Too would've been a better slogan to avoid these comebacks, but I suspect the All Lives Matter crew would've found some other reason to set themselves off.
I dont recall anyone in the 1970's arguing that Sardines matter too when 'Save the Whale' was a popular slogan, nothing wrong with Black lives matter, they are the ones being killed for the most part, cops rarely kill Karen's
Old 06-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #3563
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Equality is not about words, it’s about actions. Being told what we can and cannot say, what we should or should not say, or what is or isn’t offensive helps create division and further apathy towards true equality, be it race, religion or sexuality. Words are the low hanging fruit, gay bashing, religious persecution and police selection/ training and policies the issue.

What I would like to hear, and what would go along way in dealing with the ignorance within my own extended family would be something like. “You know what? Call me whatever the **** you want, but treat me equal!!” That would be a better bridge to build then saying “nope can’t use the word thug” or not using ethnicity when describing a suspect, or mandating X% of work force must be visible minority.

There is a massive part of the population who believe the pendulum in society has swung passed equal and gone to special. This creates further problems and ignorance among the already ignorant. Being told to say Black Lives Matter and you can’t say All Lives Matter is just one example.
Using words is also action. The use of words has consequences, and often results in further actions with more consequences. That should be so obvious that nobody should ever have to even point it out.

And what does it even mean for someone to call a person whatever they want yet treat them equally at the same time? It doesn't seem like something you've actually thought through. It should be so glaringly obvious that using derogatory, demeaning or racist words towards someone is not treating them equally.

Changing the words that people use is not sufficient to take on racism, but it is necessary.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 06-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #3564
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Jesus Christ you just are intentionally not getting it.

The day the white Christian male is being shot by cops at a much higher rate we can deal with it.
It's hilarious that you equate Christian piety with being white and male. You realize that black Americans are considerably more religiously devout than white Americans, and that women are more religiously devout than men, don't you?

My last team at work was pretty casual with swearing and profanity. But we always reined it in when a black American colleague visited from our Houston office, as she was religiously observant, prayed before meals, and was offended by coarse language.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #3565
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Equality is not about words, it’s about actions. Being told what we can and cannot say, what we should or should not say, or what is or isn’t offensive helps create division and further apathy towards true equality, be it race, religion or sexuality.
It’s nobody’s job to make you feel less apathetic about the treatment of people who are Black, or gay, or Indigenous, etc. That’s your job. Do it or don’t, but don’t have a fit about minorities are making it easy for you not to care. That seems like a “you” issue.

To that point, it’s being told what you can and can’t say without consequence, it’s being told what you should or shouldn’t say to avoid negative consequences, it’s not just being told what is or isn’t offensive, it’s people sharing that these things are or aren’t actually offensive to them, it’s sharing a different perspective to your own.

I’m just not sure why this seems like a new and dangerous idea to you. History both current and past is absolutely littered with words that carry consequences. You can’t tell your boss he’s a ####ing loser without risking consequences. You can’t call your wife a dirty skank without risking consequences. You can’t call your kids pathetic bastards and say you don’t love them without risking consequences. And you can’t sit around in a work meeting and say n***** without consequences. So, why are you acting like this is a novel idea? Because you’re mad people can’t say the n-word without consequences? Really?

Like welcome to the same world you were born into. Words carry consequences. Nobody can stop you from saying any word you want whether directed to someone or not, but words have consequences and you need to grow up and figure that out because it’s not new.

If you want to have a discussion around whether the consequences are too harsh for certain words, that’s a really valid discussion to have. But if you whining about words having consequences period, I’m not sure what planet you’re living on.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #3566
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's hilarious that you equate Christian piety with being white and male. You realize that black Americans are considerably more religiously devout than white Americans, and that women are more religiously devout than men, don't you?

My last team at work was pretty casual with swearing and profanity. But we always reined it in when a black American colleague visited from our Houston office, as she was religiously observant, prayed before meals, and was offended by coarse language.
This from the guy who wrongly thought the person who was offended by Mesley’s comment was white, and won’t stop talking about how this all because of white zealots, and who has no problem catering their language out of a respect to a religious person, but rails on the internet about dogmatic pandering when someone uses the n-word.

Come on man. We all see you.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 06-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #3567
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'd wager $100 that the person in the editorial meeting who denounced Mesley is white.

She was quoting someone else's words in an editorial meeting for the purposes of a news story. There's a difference between being sensitive and creating an unprecedented and absolute taboo around a word. This is getting into realm of fundamentalist religious shibboleths here.
This is hilarious.

Have you received your hundred bucks yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #3568
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Jesus Christ you just are intentionally not getting it.

The day the white Christian male is being shot by cops at a much higher rate we can deal with it.

It’s also not even close to the same given the word has not been used as part of history of oppression.
What about just white folk that aren't Christian?
Old 06-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #3569
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was referring to you as the white male complaining about this with a ridiculous whataboutism.

However the day the Prime Minister of Canada and the President of the US aren’t declared christians we can have this conversation..
Old 06-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #3570
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s nobody’s job to make you feel less apathetic about the treatment of people who are Black, or gay, or Indigenous, etc. That’s your job. Do it or don’t, but don’t have a fit about minorities are making it easy for you not to care. That seems like a “you” issue.

To that point, it’s being told what you can and can’t say without consequence, it’s being told what you should or shouldn’t say to avoid negative consequences, it’s not just being told what is or isn’t offensive, it’s people sharing that these things are or aren’t actually offensive to them, it’s sharing a different perspective to your own.

I’m just not sure why this seems like a new and dangerous idea to you. History both current and past is absolutely littered with words that carry consequences. You can’t tell your boss he’s a ####ing loser without risking consequences. You can’t call your wife a dirty skank without risking consequences. You can’t call your kids pathetic bastards and say you don’t love them without risking consequences. And you can’t sit around in a work meeting and say n***** without consequences. So, why are you acting like this is a novel idea? Because you’re mad people can’t say the n-word without consequences? Really?

Like welcome to the same world you were born into. Words carry consequences. Nobody can stop you from saying any word you want whether directed to someone or not, but words have consequences and you need to grow up and figure that out because it’s not new.

If you want to have a discussion around whether the consequences are too harsh for certain words, that’s a really valid discussion to have. But if you whining about words having consequences period, I’m not sure what planet you’re living on.

Actually the world I was born into was one of: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." And the world has changed quite a bit since then. Unfortunately many people refuse the change along with it.

One thing I want to be clear on is that it's not me personally, I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable in what is socially unacceptable and why and I understand it is ever changing. I'm not throwing a fit over anything....That being said, I also do have some family members with racist and homophobic views, some based on complete ignorance and some on religion, two different cans of worms. So for this thread I'm going to stick with the race and ignorance. And there are many more out there in the world, that's why we are in this mess.

You know the "go back to where you came from crowd"? This was my Dad, the anti immigrant population? Yah, thats my sister (she has other issues as well). Their education background is not extensive, their understanding of US history and race relations, minimal, their reality, blurred. Honestly they have a very childish mentality in that the first thing they wanna do when they are told not to or they shouldn't do something is do it. "All Lives Matter" "Yes Dad but they are trying to bring awareness to the mistreatment of person of color by the police, thats why Black Lives Matter is appropriate." "Well no black life is more important the any other life, All Lives Matter!!". These are the types of people that the world needs to get through to and theres a lot of them, telling them what they can and can't say does not solve this problem, looting and rioting does not solve this problem.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-27-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #3571
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oof no, there's no two cans of worms with religion and ignorance. There's always been a head in the sand level of ignorance within Christianity itself. Look at history. Look how.many people the church killed over things like...the earth being round, or science debunking God mythos, or the funnest one, homosexuality and that condemnation whilst covering up the pedophilia of their clergy. That level of ignorance is particularly amazing. Look at creationism...

No, ignorance and Christianity go hand in hand down the same path. Now thats not saying ALL Christians are ignorant, but it does give them license to puck and choose what form of Christianity suits them at any moment. I feel the basic message got lost long ago in religion.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #3572
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
You know the "go back to where you came from crowd"? This was my Dad, the anti immigrant population? Yah, thats my sister (she has other issues as well). Their education background is not extensive, their understanding of US history and race relations, minimal, their reality, blurred. Honestly they have a very childish mentality in that the first thing they wanna do when they are told not to or they shouldn't do something is do it. "All Lives Matter" "Yes Dad but they are trying to bring awareness to the mistreatment of person of color by the police, thats why Black Lives Matter is appropriate." "Well no black life is more important the any other life, All Lives Matter!!". These are the types of people that the world needs to get through to and theres a lot of them, telling them what they can and can't say does not solve this problem, looting and rioting does not solve this problem.
It is not society's responsibility to teach racists to care about other people. I was not given an education about things like the Trail of Tears, Jim Crow laws, Redlining, Black Wall Street, etc. American History classes, by and large, whitewash all of that away.

I taught myself. I read, I watched documentaries, I listened to the voices of those who do know what they're talking about, both the kind ones and the angry ones. And that was my responsibility to learn those things, it's my responsibility to continue learning. It is not the responsibility of Black people, of Native Americans, of Latinos, etc, to do the emotional labor of teaching me their history and why I should care about them.

This is where it's up to you to calmly explain to your father, your sister, those you insist you're more aware than, why these things are important. Explain why BLM isn't a slight on others but a cry for change and for equity. Because no, people who already have racist views are unlikely to take kindly to even the nicest Black person telling them they're wrong.

But they might listen to you. So if you know more and they don't, it's your responsibility to raise their awareness.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #3573
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the outrage at Kansas State over a students tweet. He made a joke in poor taste that has set off a reaction across the school. His tweet was something like congratulations to George Floyd for being one month drug free.

People now want him expelled. Does the punishment justify the crime?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #3574
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the outrage at Kansas State over a students tweet. He made a joke in poor taste that has set off a reaction across the school. His tweet was something like congratulations to George Floyd for being one month drug free.

Obviously not, have the kid do some kinda community service. Education, can't expect young kids to be perfect. Thank god social media didn't exist in my day
Old 06-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #3575
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

u-s-college-professor-on-leave-after-asking-vietnamese-american-student-to-anglicize-her-name

Cambridge-University-backs-academic-tweeted-White-Lives-Dont-Matter.html

US gun sales have spiked in recent times.

Quote:
More than 6.5 million gun-sale background checks were conducted from January 1 through April 30, according to the latest NSSF research, which showed a 48% year-over-year rise from the same period in 2019. Firearms retailers surveyed by NSSF in May estimated that 40% of their sales came from first-time gun buyers.
Oliva said 40% of those first-time gun buyers were women

Short Facebook stock, it's already dropped 8% as advertisers pull out.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/afdhela.../#ccb77c116687 will Alphabet(parent company of Google) be far behind?
Old 06-27-2020, 10:54 PM   #3576
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^ Not sure what you are getting at, but short Facebook or Google stock at your own peril, in my opinion. I think Facebook is reprehensible in many aspects, but I do not doubt the near monopoly power it holds in respect of digital media.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:17 PM   #3577
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha, that prof who asked her to Anglicize her name for sure deserves to go on leave. The initial email was a bit insensitive but forgivable, and her response was a pretty rapid escalation, but his follow up was hilariously over the line. I hope she just wrote back “Eat dick, #### boy.”

Haha, really, who would broach that topic in an email?

Old 06-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #3578
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
^^ Not sure what you are getting at, but short Facebook or Google stock at your own peril, in my opinion. I think Facebook is reprehensible in many aspects, but I do not doubt the near monopoly power it holds in respect of digital media.
Shorting nearly everything is a good bet right now.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #3579
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Ha, that prof who asked her to Anglicize her name for sure deserves to go on leave. The initial email was a bit insensitive but forgivable, and her response was a pretty rapid escalation, but his follow up was hilariously over the line. I hope she just wrote back “Eat dick, #### boy.”

Haha, really, who would broach that topic in an email?
How is Phuc boi pronounced.

We have a Phuc (pronounced #####) where I work and the first time you call him ##### it was awkward but after that it became very normal. I can’t believe someone would ask them to change by saying if my name sounded like eat dick in Vietnam I would change it.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #3580
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

The university shouldn’t punish him at all. It’s clearly in bad taste however this student doesn’t have a position of power or represent the university.

If he is head of the student union or a student representative on committees it would be reasonable losing a position like that where you represent the student body.

He did found a self described group for
Quote:
campus conservative organization defined by our support for closed borders, traditional families, the American worker, and Christian values.”
He denies it being Hate a group.

So he appears to deserve being called out and protested against. That is specifically what he is trying to do here.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wash...outputType=amp

Last edited by GGG; 06-28-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Closed Thread