Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #341
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would expect that the whole first order vs resistance thing is going to be a small background story in the last film.

Lets look at it.

The Resistance fleet is gone, nobody came to help them, they have maybe a dozen people or so left. Their leadership is gone except for Poe and Finn.

Its not much better on the First Order side of things.

When the Supremecy was blown up, that was their capital world, and their main manufacturing facility and training center. Most of their fleet was pretty much shattered. Their leadership is gutted, Snoke dead, Phasma who was actually a member of the leadership of the first order dead. They have Hux who's generally stupid and Ren left.

Basically the next movie is going to probably be about the end of the whole dark versus light battle within the force. I have a feeling that
Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #342
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Luke should have died in Ep IX and his death should have redeemed Kylo. Now everything is ruined.
Ruined for you, you mean. A lot of people liked TLJ, including myself and the majority of the people I saw it with. In my two trips to the theatre, only 2 out of 7 friends didn't like it. It has it's flaws for sure (space Leia was the worst), and Benicio Del Toro's acting choices for his character were kinda dumb. But it was still a fun time at the movies, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Personally I loved what they did with Luke's story arc, and I thought he had a fitting death. Did I imagined him going out in a kick-ass lightsaber duel in a blaze of glory? Sure. But I still left the theatre satisfied for the most part, and I thought it suited the character and where his head was at at that particular point in his life.

I still think what Kylo told Rey about her parents in the throne room was a lie just to mess with her head-- to try and lure her to the dark side so he could rule the galaxy with Rey by his side. I have a feeling that Abrams will probably address this in IX.

We still have well over a year before IX comes out. I think any SW fatigue or nerd rage from TLJ will have faded by then, and fans will be itching for a new film. Nothing will ever come close to matching TFA's box office take, but I'm betting it'll hit similar numbers to TLJ at the very least.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #343
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I mean even things like 3d aren't as important anymore, I know a lot of people that just go to a regular movie and skip the 3d.
Yup, this is me. When used well, 3D can be great (Avatar, Ready Player One, Hugo) But for the majority of big budget blockbusters, it just doesn't add anything to the experience anymore. These days I actively avoid the 3D presentation if I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #344
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

I still think what Kylo told Rey about her parents in the throne room was a lie just to mess with her head-- to try and lure her to the dark side so he could rule the galaxy with Rey by his side. I have a feeling that Abrams will probably address this in IX.
Honestly I think that was the only good decision on plot that Rian made...It was really needed in the SW universe and it'd be a shame to have her parents be more than nobodies.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #345
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

We still have well over a year before IX comes out. I think any SW fatigue or nerd rage from TLJ will have faded by then, and fans will be itching for a new film. Nothing will ever come close to matching TFA's box office take, but I'm betting it'll hit similar numbers to TLJ at the very least.
Equal to or better than TLJ? Highly unlikely IMO. Disney would have to pull a real rabbit out of its hat for that to happen.

That is probably the upside. Downside is a 30 to 40% drop.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #346
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of my friends are the same as me - we thought TLJ was a terrible movie, and because of that none of us have interest to see Solo.

Some of the positive reviews here sort of changes that for me, but not enough to go to theatre. I'll watch it at home in a few weeks/months.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #347
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Equal to or better than TLJ? Highly unlikely IMO. Disney would have to pull a real rabbit out of its hat for that to happen.

That is probably the upside. Downside is a 30 to 40% drop.
Unlikely that it earns less based on previous trillogies

Star Wars - 307
Empire - 209 (68% of 4)
Jedi - 252 (120% of 5)

Phantom (the second worst). 474
Clone (by far the worst). 310 (65% of 1)
Sith (decent). 389 (125% of 2)

TFA - 936
TLJ - 620 (66% of TFA)
IX - 744 - 775 (120%-125% of TJJ)

I don't know if it will get to 744 but even attack of the clones and phantom menance didn't cause Revenge of the Sith to fail. Provided they stick with a Christmas opening it will out earn TLJ

Last episodes of Potter, Hunger games, Twilight etc all out earned their previous book movie and their previous 1st half split movies.

Last edited by GGG; 06-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #348
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my biggest issue with this Star Wars universe. It looks like absolutely no fun to be in whatsoever. I have no desire to visit or wish that I inhabited it.

There are apparently about 30 righteous people in the whole galaxy, and most people seem to be fascists of one sort or another. It's only fun if you're super rich, and our main characters never get any rewards for their struggle.

All of this compounds upon itself when you remember the characters in Star Wars don't get to hear the John Williams. They just have to live in this terrible world.

With all that said, I enjoyed most of this movie a lot more than I expected to.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #349
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Here's my biggest issue with this Star Wars universe. It looks like absolutely no fun to be in whatsoever. I have no desire to visit or wish that I inhabited it.

There are apparently about 30 righteous people in the whole galaxy, and most people seem to be fascists of one sort or another. It's only fun if you're super rich, and our main characters never get any rewards for their struggle.

All of this compounds upon itself when you remember the characters in Star Wars don't get to hear the John Williams. They just have to live in this terrible world.

So, kinda like our world then?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #350
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Unlikely that it earns less based on previous trillogies

Star Wars - 307
Empire - 209 (68% of 4)
Jedi - 252 (120% of 5)

Phantom (the second worst). 474
Clone (by far the worst). 310 (65% of 1)
Sith (decent). 389 (125% of 2)

TFA - 936
TLJ - 620 (66% of TFA)
IX - 744 - 775 (120%-125% of TJJ)

I don't know if it will get to 744 but even attack of the clones and phantom menance didn't cause Revenge of the Sith to fail. Provided they stick with a Christmas opening it will out earn TLJ

Last episodes of Potter, Hunger games, Twilight etc all out earned their previous book movie and their previous 1st half split movies.
This is interesting. Thank you.

I am still not so sure here and think the dynamic is different than the previous trilogies. It will be interesting to see what happens and of course they have yet to finish and market the movie.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #351
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
So, kinda like our world then?
Yeah I know I was thinking that as I wrote it...
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #352
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think SW has too many cooks in the kitchen. Also it reminds me a lot of The Terminator films, without Cameron at the helm the movies were versions and rehashes of his original ideas the same thing is happening to SW in the absence of Lucas.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #353
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I just watched the Star Wars episode of the toys that make us on Netflix, its a really interesting episode.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #354
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

I think that's the point.

You look at the whole series and even in you include the Legends EU

Old Republic

Continual Wars between the Jedi and the Sith that draw the Republic into it. probably billions of people suffer. The Jedi promote genocide against the Sith and their followers which causes a thousand years of plotted revenge

The republic era rise of the Empire

The Sith return, the Jedi eagerly go to war to stamp out the dark side, again Billions caught in the middle. At the same time the Pan galactic government is ineffective and corrupt, allowing slavery, mass drug addictions and smuggling, crumbling economies, various species constantly at war.

The Republic falls and the citizen cheer, because an autocratic government with a strong central figure will clean up the corruption. Then you guess it, the Jedi rise again, throw down the government and chaos ensues. But the Sith are defeated.

Then because the Jedi are around, the dark side retaliates to balance things. The Republic basically falls and the monstrous first order is born out of a desire to create order.

The whole thing comes down to the Jedi knights as the main catalyst of everything that's wrong in the galaxy. Both Luke and Ren were right, the Jedi and the Sith need to go and the galaxy needs to move on without force users.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #355
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i went and saw solo last night

i really enjoyed it - thought it was a good flick!

i liked how a bunch of stuff tied back to the clone wars series and to rebels
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #356
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's official - the disappointing box office of Solo has sunk the anthology movies.

Star Wars spin-offs put on hold after Solo crashes at box office
Quote:
Further Star Wars spin-off movies have been put on hold after disappointing box-office results for Solo: A Star Wars Story.

According to the website Collider, “sources” have revealed that Lucasfilm, the franchise’s main producer, has decided to concentrate its efforts on the official episode series and scale back development of future one-off movies, known as the anthology series.
It's going to be real interesting to see if this is a one-off, due to a weak movie or bad timing, or if the Last Jedi poisoned the Star Wars well.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #357
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fine by me. I have zero interest in the rumored Boba Fett and Obi-Wan spinoffs. I'm much more interested in the upcoming trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones guys, as those will apparently be brand new stories with new characters completely unrelated to the original saga.

That being said, Solo was surprisingly good despite the poor box office reception.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #358
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Unless they do it in Episode IX, I think a Snoke spinoff explaining his rise to power and backstory would have been interesting.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #359
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would have been interesting if he wasn't so anticlimactically killed off.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #360
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Unless they do it in Episode IX, I think a Snoke spinoff explaining his rise to power and backstory would have been interesting.

To me, he wasn't that interesting of a character. He was an archvillain red shirt only there to be killed by Ren.

I'm sure we'll find out more about him in the Resistance Cartoon, but I don't think he could carry a movie.

Plus the founding of the First Order has been covered in the Aftermath books, and the Bloodline books.