Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #381
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if anyone remembers the movie Fanboys? But they asked the question at the very end when they were in the theatre waiting for Phantom Menace

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #382
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I generally prefer to go to movies alone. You can see whatever you like, get in and out faster, don't have to wait for snacks if you're not hungry. I only go to 5 or 6 movies a year, but half of them are by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My boys simply aren't as into Star Wars as they are the Marvel stuff. I think that's a lot of the issue.
Same with my kids. They were desperate to see Thor, Infinity Wars, etc. I had to drag them to the Last Jedi, and neither of them expressed any interest in Solo. I can't even get them to watch Rogue One with me on Netflix. Just no interest.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-28-2018 at 12:40 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #383
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
When Deadpool is a serious threat to a Star Wars movie you know Star Wars is in trouble. Heck Star Wars should be trouncing the Avengers, this is Star Wars. That's the problem, SW has become just another movie not a cultural event.
I went to the movies last weekend and definitely chose Deadpool over Solo. And you're 100% correct, that should not have been a choice. I like Deadpool, but I'm not a huge fan, and waited almost a month to see it.

The reason I have no interest is that TLJ was trash. When the reviews for Solo came out from the exact same media sources that praised TLJ, calling it another "fun" movie, I knew it wasn't for me.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #384
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the original trilogy, we got 3 movies over a 6 year span. The same was true for the prequels.

Solo was the 4th Star Wars movie released since December 2015. That's not even 30 months for 4 different films.

That's a big reason they've lost their "specialness".
Old 06-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #385
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The frequency doesn't/didn't bother me. It's the quality of the movies.

Anticipation for Solo was at an all time low for me because of TLJ, not because of the timing. Heck, after watching Rogue one, I was ready to watch a new SW movie every month.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #386
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think it's both issues. What typically makes Star Wars movies so profitable is that they appeal to a wide audience.

For the general audience, frequency is a huge factor. For more long term Star Wars fans, the bigger issue was the quality and nature of the film.

At the end of the day it takes a lot of factors coinciding to result in a Star Wars movie losing 200 million dollars. Disney messed this up royally.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #387
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The original 3 were fun movies. Yes, there was darkness and suspense, but in general you came out of them having had a really fun time. None of the new movies are any fun. TLJ epitomized this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #388
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
None of the new movies are any fun. TLJ epitomized this.
For some people, maybe. Personally I've enjoyed all of the new films so far, especially Rogue One.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #389
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogue One is a good movie, but I'm not sure it is a fun movie. Maybe the most so of the new ones.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #390
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

They could release a new star wars movie every 3 months and I'd go. As long as they're interesting. Look at what Marvel has done. I'm rarely disappointed with their movies.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #391
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My boys simply aren't as into Star Wars as they are the Marvel stuff. I think that's a lot of the issue.
Yes. And that should make Disney a little nervous. It's not just the movies they are investing in.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #392
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think it's both issues. What typically makes Star Wars movies so profitable is that they appeal to a wide audience.

For the general audience, frequency is a huge factor. For more long term Star Wars fans, the bigger issue was the quality and nature of the film.

At the end of the day it takes a lot of factors coinciding to result in a Star Wars movie losing 200 million dollars. Disney messed this up royally.
Quality is a big problem. Marvel films may have been in trouble if they put out a lot of movies of the same quality of Spiderman 3 but for the most part the films vary from great to good. TLJ is just a really bad movie and TFA and Rogue One were just good, not great. I simply haven't seen a new Star Wars movie that is on the level with the best Marvel movies and I'm not even a big superhero movie fan.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #393
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

After being labelled as a racist and sexist and a Russian bot for not liking TLJ, I saw no interest in supporting the franchise further. Clearly the series is no longer for me, and I wonder how many fans felt the same.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #394
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
After being labelled as a racist and sexist and a Russian bot for not liking TLJ, I saw no interest in supporting the franchise further. Clearly the series is no longer for me, and I wonder how many fans felt the same.
I could care less about the whole SJW/anti-SJW debate. I definitely feel like the movies just aren't aimed at me anymore though. I'm not going to see a poorly written child's movie, just because it's labeled Star Wars. If kids are enjoying the movies, I'm all for that. The new movies have about as much appeal to me as re-watching the Star Wars Christmas Special.

That being said, if the franchise moved back towards the Rogue One or even TFA direction, I'd be back on board. I did, after all, buy advance tickets for TLJ based on what I saw in TFA.

Once again, what made the movies previously so successful was mass appeal. They appealed to older nerdier types, but were also fun enough for the mass audience. TLJ was just too poorly written to appeal to me. It was also weird, dark, and just plain awkward at points. So the mood, overall, was just kind of off and not overly fun. I'm not really sure who the movie was supposed to appeal to.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #395
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could care less about the whole SJW/anti-SJW debate. I definitely feel like the movies just aren't aimed at me anymore though. I'm not going to see a poorly written child's movie, just because it's labeled Star Wars. If kids are enjoying the movies, I'm all for that. The new movies have about as much appeal to me as re-watching the Star Wars Christmas Special.

That being said, if the franchise moved back towards the Rogue One or even TFA direction, I'd be back on board. I did, after all, buy advance tickets for TLJ based on what I saw in TFA.

Once again, what made the movies previously so successful was mass appeal. They appealed to older nerdier types, but were also fun enough for the mass audience. TLJ was just too poorly written to appeal to me. It was also weird, dark, and just plain awkward at points. So the mood, overall, was just kind of off and not overly fun. I'm not really sure who the movie was supposed to appeal to.
Absolutely I agree the movie was fundamentally poor. That's definitely why the series is no longer for me. I guess what I mean is that because of the backlash fans received for their criticisms of TLJ, I'm not interested in giving the franchise another chance.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #396
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seemed aimed at teens and young adults who like moody genre stories with lots of social conflict and tangled relationships. The same audience that watches the CW (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Riverdale) and who Star Trek Discovery was aimed at. I guess studio execs figured the CW audience + Star Wars fans = $$$.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #397
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Still trying to figure out the whole 8 million Rey's in the cave snapping her fingers scene and what the hell that was all about.

Also the dark side being the darkside wouldn't have revealed that her parents were nobodies. The Darkside would have kept them just beyond her vision and tempted her with the power to find them.

I mean I get that the whole everything is new age zappa hippy now. But they even fundamentally changed the force in that movie. I even get the whole stupid Midi-clorians acting as a symbiote that allows the Force to communicate the will of the force to a Jedi or a Sith, even though the Jedi don't command the force, they let the force dictate its will while the Sith seek to dominate the force. But in the greater contect, the Force in the new trilogy, frankly means that there is no dark, there is no light there's this shade of grey thing happening that makes little sense.

Quote:
Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Quote:
Luke Skywalker: What do you see?
Rey: The island. Life. Death and decay, that feeds new life. Warmth. Cold. Peace. Violence.
Luke Skywalker: And between it all?
Rey: Balance and energy. A force.
Luke Skywalker: And inside you?
Rey: Inside me, that same force.

It was these modifications to the fundementals of the GFFA, not the change of the EU or anything like that, but the wholesale changes that make me think that Abrahms and Rian wanted to show off how brilliant they were by changing the story will weakly rebooting it.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #398
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It was these modifications to the fundementals of the GFFA, not the change of the EU or anything like that, but the wholesale changes that make me think that Abrahms and Rian wanted to show off how brilliant they were by changing the story will weakly rebooting it.
Is that a change to old lore? Thought Star Wars has always talked about a balance between the light and dark.

I kinda thought that the last quote was a very clunky way of saying the force will always balance.

Darkside and Lightside always in balance, if dark side gets too powerful then an equal power will be added to the light side.

Whether that is between life and death, peace and violence, warmth and code. The force always providing a balance between the darkside and the light side.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #399
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Is that a change to old lore? Thought Star Wars has always talked about a balance between the light and dark.

I kinda thought that the last quote was a very clunky way of saying the force will always balance.

Darkside and Lightside always in balance, if dark side gets too powerful then an equal power will be added to the light side.

Whether that is between life and death, peace and violence, warmth and code. The force always providing a balance between the darkside and the light side.

Except that fundamentally the Force, the Dark and the Lightside are rarely in balance. The force practically allows itself to fall out of balance.

Just look at the history of the thing.

It starts all light. the some jedi find out that there's a darkside and explore it. they get beaten up and exiled and find the Sith Empire. So in theory the force is in balance, but its not because its a perpetual state of war.

Flash forward. The Sith turn on each other, the Jedi beat them and promote a war of genocide (Pretty dark stuff) the Sith Vanish and find another Empire.

The Light side kind of rises. Then the Sith invade and conquer a bunch of the galaxy. This is the balance.

The Sith Empire collapses, the Jedi win. The Sith basically vanish.

The light rules, until another Jedi or two turn and we get another Sith Jedi War, but in this case the Sith are basically destroyed by one of their own in Darth Bane, who kills all the Sith but himself and takes on an apprentice and vanishes to plot his revenge. The light rises the Dark Side in retreat.

A few thousand years pass the Light its at its height. Then the Sith strike back and start darkening up the Force reducing the Jedi's ability to use it. The Sith rise, the Jedi are crushed and exterminated the darkness rules the galaxy.

a few decades pass, The light triumphs the dark gets thrown down the well. Hurray. but the Darkness rises again. The Jedi are wiped out again. The Dark rises and the spark goes out.

The force has never been in balance. Even when you looked at the Celestials (The father, son and daughter) the force never truly allowed balance there as the son killed the daughter and the son died as did the father and the force went even further to the darkside instead of retaining balance.

You could argue that the force is like a teeter tooter that never balances it slams to the dark and then slams to the light, it rarely hits the balance point.

Even at its lightest the Jedi are still doing things that would be considered dark. When you look at Star Wars Lore, frankly the Force is a incredible force for destruction and repression of the non force users. The force is meant to be dark to reflect mans base nature. You could argue that when its light, its as Sidious put it a power that many believe to be un-natural.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #400
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It seemed aimed at teens and young adults who like moody genre stories with lots of social conflict and tangled relationships. The same audience that watches the CW (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Riverdale) and who Star Trek Discovery was aimed at. I guess studio execs figured the CW audience + Star Wars fans = $$$.

This is what kids are into these days? An awkwardly sweaty Adam Driver?