Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #1781
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Louis CK has already had a 20 year career, made millions and become a comedy legend, while also being a sex offender.

Isn't 20 years of getting away with something plenty already?

He's set for life, he doesn't need the money or the work. I don't get why it's so important for some to fight for a guy that has already gotten pretty literally everything to have the chance to get even more.

I mean, I get why people think he's suffered enough, but that's kind of different than the energy some people are putting into defending him.

If Louis CK was some average dude, even those who sympathize with his career ending would pretty much go "meh, well, that's life for you", and move on.

Why do people put the most effort into defending the rich and the famous, who least need it?

Last edited by Itse; 01-29-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #1782
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I mean, I get why people think he's suffered enough, but that's kind of different than the energy some people are putting into defending him.

If Louis CK was some average dude, even those who sympathize with his career ending would pretty much go "meh, well, that's life for you", and move on.

Why do people put the most effort into defending the rich and the famous, who least need it?
This discussion is so strange.

Some people: Louis CK hasn't suffered enough and I'm furious he's working again.

Other people: What's enough, and how are you going to stop other people from paying to see him?

First people: Stop defending him.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-29-2019 at 03:58 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #1783
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
These discussions are so strange.

Some people: Louis CK hasn't suffered enough and I'm furious he's working again.

Other people: What's enough, and how are you going to stop other people from paying to see him?

I don't think there is a set playbook on how to proceed. How did others make amends? I don't think Mike Tyson ever did. While Hugh Grant and Paul Reubens didn't really do anything against anybody else, they both at the height of their careers when they messed up, and it took a hell of a long time for them to recover from that. I think some more time out of the public eye would help guys like LCK, Ghomeshi, Spacey. The latter are making things worse with their public announcements. Honestly, it might help if they just moved away for a few years. They don't need to get back into the spotlight right away or even in North America.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #1784
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let him work.

Hopefully the market will decide if he has continued success.

I for one hope he doesn't.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #1785
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Other people: Meh all he did was whip it out. No big deal.

See. When you try to oversimplify someone else's position to suit your narrative it doesn't work very well.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #1786
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, that comparison would make quite a bit of sense if you could point to literally anyone in this thread who has said anything remotely similar to that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #1787
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like every one of EE’s posts?
V is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #1788
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Oh really? Care to prove that and in detail how I said it was no big deal. That was Jiri being guilty of oversimplifying my posts. He's upset because I don't think what Luis did was as serious as he does in a thread discussing the actions of guys like Weinstein, Spacey, Moonves, etc.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-30-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #1789
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Other people: Meh all he did was whip it out. No big deal.

See. When you try to oversimplify someone else's position to suit your narrative it doesn't work very well.

At least he asked first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #1790
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #1791
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oh really? Care to prove that and in detail how I said it was no big deal. That was Jiri being guilty of oversimplifying my posts. He's upset because I don't think what Luis did was as serious as he does in a thread discussing the actions of guys like Weinstein, Spacey, Moonves, etc.

Well, there was this:

Quote:
but to me this is more just uncomfortable than traumatic.

And this:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure those two ladies are doing fine right now.

And this:

Quote:
it sounds like it was his agent that maybe making things difficult for some of these women (they only make reference to the agent's name) which is quite common when protecting their golden goose.

And this:

Quote:
People seem to forget that if an average Joe does what Luis CK did then nobody hears about it without charges and if charged it's probably a footnote in the newspaper the people move on from quickly. Nobody is going to put on their resume that a couple of girls accused you of masterbating in front of them. If this is committed by a regular person the chances are high they are living their lives normally.

And this:

Quote:
Sure he may have used his power to cover it up but pretty well anyone with power typically exercises that when they feel they are in peril and again not making excuses for him but that's the way that industry rolls and the less we know about our favorite stars is probably the better.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #1792
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forget 'as serious' you seemed to take issue with it being called serious at all.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=1680 (for full context)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina
What he did was serious.
Serious is a word probably thrown around too leisurely.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #1793
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still waiting for the posts where I said it was no big deal. All I see is the oversimplification Jiri was talking about.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #1794
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the posts where I said it was no big deal. All I see is the oversimplification Jiri was talking about.

Then you're deliberately being obtuse.

And kind of creepy.

I sincerely hope you're never on a jury of a sexual assault or harassment trial because you don't actually appear to know what is.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #1795
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #1796
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
While I’m neither on the “end his career” or “it wasn’t a big deal” side, you taking the statement in its most literal is really just missing the point.

You’ve said plenty to suggest it wasn’t a big deal, including saying it wasn’t “serious” and that it was just “uncomfortable,” not traumatic.

If I say I pooped my pants I’m not going to start denying it when someone says I #### myself just because I didn’t phrase it that way.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #1797
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I should probably try to remember that just because people are on my ignore list that doesn't mean they're not posting, but frankly, I prefer not to.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #1798
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hilarious. If you're going to take a position on something, at least have the balls to stand behind it. Wow.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #1799
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be clear - indeed I was trying to demonstrate when either side over-simplifies the position of the other side - it is an unfair reflection and poor way to continue the debate. And 99% of the time those simplified versions are poor reflections of the points others are trying to make
I acknowledge that the issue is far more complex
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #1800
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
While I’m neither on the “end his career” or “it wasn’t a big deal” side, you taking the statement in its most literal is really just missing the point.

You’ve said plenty to suggest it wasn’t a big deal, including saying it wasn’t “serious” and that it was just “uncomfortable,” not traumatic.

If I say I pooped my pants I’m not going to start denying it when someone says I #### myself just because I didn’t phrase it that way.
Where did I say it wasn't serious. I believe I said something along the lines of the degree of seriousness differs from person to person. I read what the two comedians said an neither mentioned being traumatized as they were clearly fixated on the fact that that they felt they had lost some gigs due to his agent.

I will take the high road here though and admit to being a little casual about dismissing the impact on the women. I still do feel he has paid a big price and don't agree with some of the opinions that he needs to be totally destroyed for his mistakes. It seems like to me he knew for a while he had a problem but whether it be a position or power or the fact that it was well known and accepted by some (such as Sarah Sliverman below) in the comedian circles that these women coming out and him going through backlash finally forced him to deal with his issue head on. I hope for his sake he's become a better person and time will tell but I'm not sure how a mob of angry people following him around every corner denouncing him is a productive or positive when it comes to making society better.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sar...ed-1202988208/

Quote:
“I don’t know if I’m going to regret saying this,” Silverman said. “I’ve known Louis forever, I’m not making excuses for him, so please don’t take this that way. We are peers. We are equals. When we were kids, and he asked if he could masturbate in front of me, sometimes I’d go, ‘F— yeah I want to see that!’ … It’s not analogous to the other women that are talking about what he did to them. He could offer me nothing. We were only just friends. So sometimes, yeah, I wanted to see it, it was amazing. Sometimes I would say, ‘F—ing no, gross,’ and we got pizza.”

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-30-2019 at 12:52 PM.