Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #1801
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean, South Park roasted him for it 20 years ago. Why is he now above criticism? He became wealthy through harassment of animals, and his flimsy excuse was that he promoted conservation.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #1802
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I mean, South Park roasted him for it 20 years ago. Why is he now above criticism? He became wealthy through harassment of animals, and his flimsy excuse was that he promoted conservation.

Most animal rights groups consider him a good thing for animal rights and conservation education.

PETA are terrorists so who cares what they think. Most vegetarians probably shake their heads when they chime in.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #1803
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

PETA are thinly veiled self-extinctionists.

Irwin was far from perfect but his primary focus was to raise awareness, to do that you've kind of got to get close to animals.

He did his bit and he did it like an Aussie. It wasnt particularly meticulously well thought out, but he got it done and he did it with balls.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #1804
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are certainly giving the Westboro Baptist Church a run for their money.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #1805
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Racist hockey fans taunt black player and family

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/racist-h...k&_gsc=21J9Y8Q
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #1806
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
PETA are thinly veiled self-extinctionists.
And in that, I support their efforts.

The funny thing is if you click on the tweet it's basically just people exploiting their auto-response to anything with "#donate" included in it. You can tell them you're going #donate a bunch of endangered animal pelts from your various hunting trips in Africa before sitting down with a bowl of shark fin soup and they'll thank you for your support.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #1807
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

it sucks the fact you can't be a good Samaritan any more.
I don't stop to help anyone and haven't for years.
almost every day you read of something like this. or the same situation but a car jacking or robbery instead of being assaulted.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-edmonton-rcmp

A teen girl suffered assault injuries after being flagged down by a man who appeared to be a stranded motorist west of Edmonton, say RCMP.

the advice in the article is the best advice.

"Police urge drivers not to stop for strangers on the road. Instead, Good Samaritans should pull over in a safe location and call local police."

I don't take the chance any more. I just call the cops.

I know someone who tried to stop an assault a couple of years ago. all it got him was a bad beating when the guy turned on him too. I'm not a tough guy with fighting skills. I have to think of being there for my daughter instead of trying to be a hero.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #1808
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I almost won't stop to help unless I'm in a well populated area or a area with traffic. Which is sad because its usually the people who aren't in those spots that are in the most trouble. IE highway late at night.

I've found that for the most part most of the assistance that I provide are for things like dead batteries in parking lots for example.

I had car problems a couple of weeks ago at Safeways and this old gent was extremely happy to lend a hand though we couldn't get my car started

re frozen gas line.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #1809
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
almost every day you read of something like this. or the same situation but a car jacking or robbery instead of being assaulted.

A teen girl suffered assault injuries after being flagged down by a man who appeared to be a stranded motorist west of Edmonton, say RCMP.

"Police urge drivers not to stop for strangers on the road. Instead, Good Samaritans should pull over in a safe location and call local police."

I know someone who tried to stop an assault a couple of years ago. all it got him was a bad beating when the guy turned on him too. I'm not a tough guy with fighting skills. I have to think of being there for my daughter instead of trying to be a hero.
Alberta's "Good Samaritan" law:

Emergency Medical Aid Act:
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/E07.pdf
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #1810
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We live in, by far, the safest period of human history.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #1811
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

TL;DR - I wouldn't say you can't be a good Samaritan anymore, but for sure you have to be smarter about it. You can't just rush in anymore.

Quote:

Stuff like this sucks, but it won't stop me from trying to help. However, I think for me the key is figuring out how to be smart in how to offer help rather than not helping. A situation like this with no one around, I'd help to offer to call someone if the guy's phone isn't working or something, but I wouldn't get out or give the dude a ride. I'd also drive past the guy first, then circle back after weighing the options. I wouldn't stop immediately on instinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I almost won't stop to help unless I'm in a well populated area or a area with traffic. Which is sad because its usually the people who aren't in those spots that are in the most trouble. IE highway late at night.

I've found that for the most part most of the assistance that I provide are for things like dead batteries in parking lots for example.

I had car problems a couple of weeks ago at Safeways and this old gent was extremely happy to lend a hand though we couldn't get my car started

re frozen gas line.
I do something similar. You just never know at times with things like this. What I've been doing for years is to offer two things at max, calling someone to help on the person's behalf (ie: Tow truck) assuming part of the trouble is a dead phone or offer to drive to the next service station and bring back a jerry can of gas. I won't drive the person or hop out to help.

The sole caveat I think I'd do though is if someone has gotten stuck in a basic snow bank or something. I generally trust that this is a legit situation and will stop to help dig/push the person out. But at most I'd just help call a tow truck and maybe offer to help nab some food or something.

In the city with higher traffic, yeah, I'll often help. Digging people out/helping to push a stuck car, boosting a car (USB jump starter is fricken awesome and easy for this), quick lift to the service station for someone walking with a jerry can and not expecting a lift etc.

I also keep my eye out for seniors that could use a helping hand. When we had a ton of accumulation, I saw a gent with a cane struggling to pull his walker out of his trunk, so I approached him and asked if he wanted help to pull it out of his SUV, he seemed surprised I approached him and was grateful for the offer. I also saw an old lady (70s/80s?) struggling to carry a bunch of grocery bags. I approached her to ask if she was ok and after a short chat, I asked if he'd like help to carry the groceries a few blocks to her place instead of just lending my phone to call her daughter to pick her up (she was going to call her daughter to come help but forgot her cell phone). Or offering to buy homeless or people who spend a lot of time outdoors in the super cold weather, a hot drink. It's just a few bucks, but a warm drink goes a long way when it's freezing outside.

Intervening in a fight isn't something I'd do though unless I knew at least one of the parties involved. There was a situation that I do regret not doing anything though even after a few years... I was at a Dollarama a dude was screaming all sorts of crap at a cashier because the posted price and the scanned price was $0.50 different and there was no manager around to override to fix the pricing. I really should have piped up and just asked if it was necessary to be a jerk to the cashier, but my wife was with me and I was kinda worried this guy would actually start a fight if I said anything. Seems small in the grand scheme of things and I think I made the right call, but it still eats at me because I think I could/should have done something.

Sorry for the rambling...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #1812
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
TL;DR - I wouldn't say you can't be a good Samaritan anymore, but for sure you have to be smarter about it. You can't just rush in anymore.

I also keep my eye out for seniors that could use a helping hand. When we had a ton of accumulation, I saw a gent with a cane struggling to pull his walker out of his trunk, so I approached him and asked if he wanted help to pull it out of his SUV, he seemed surprised I approached him and was grateful for the offer. I also saw an old lady (70s/80s?) struggling to carry a bunch of grocery bags. I approached her to ask if she was ok and after a short chat, I asked if he'd like help to carry the groceries a few blocks to her place instead of just lending my phone to call her daughter to pick her up (she was going to call her daughter to come help but forgot her cell phone). Or offering to buy homeless or people who spend a lot of time outdoors in the super cold weather, a hot drink. It's just a few bucks, but a warm drink goes a long way when it's freezing outside.
I one time got up to offer an older person help with her bag and was grabbed by a nearby security guard who asked me what I was doing, harassing the woman. mall cops suck.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #1813
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The newest internet fad: A creepy monster popping up in otherwise innocuous kids videos in Youtube (and Youtube Kids), telling them to self-harm and threatening to kill them if they don't.

Needless to say, Youtube is off the iPad for the foreseeable future...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/poli...harm-1.4313148
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #1814
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The newest internet fad: A creepy monster popping up in otherwise innocuous kids videos in Youtube (and Youtube Kids), telling them to self-harm and threatening to kill them if they don't.

it's real. happened to one of my wife's friends this past month.
this crap been around for a while, but the new thing it that creepy Momo thing.

it's enough to give me nightmares. I can't imagine what it does to these poor kids.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #1815
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...for-his-death/

Parents should be jailed too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #1816
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two former Australian PMs have stated their support for convicted paedophile priest George Pell.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/howard-p...stating-result

FFS.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #1817
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
this crap been around for a while, but the new thing it that creepy Momo thing.

it's enough to give me nightmares. I can't imagine what it does to these poor kids.
Yeah there's something deeply unsettling about the picture of that thing. Like there's actually something evil behind it -- I got chills down my spine the first time I saw it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #1818
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like Shelly Duvall morphed with Spy vs Spy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #1819
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Looks like this is a moral panic. No such video exists.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-say-charities
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #1820
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Looks like this is a moral panic. No such video exists.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-say-charities
Awkward!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote