Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #781
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Where does the Christian angle come from rubecube?
Rube's tolerance blind-spot.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #782
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Rube's tolerance blind-spot.
Haha I actually forgot I had posted this. It was mostly tongue-in-cheek but let's not pretend as if most of the commenters on that site wouldn't self-identify as Christians.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #783
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

You don't know that, but I suppose a bias cannot exist without an assumption.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #784
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think statistics may have more to do with it, what with 70.6% of all Americans self-identifying as Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #785
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I think statistics may have more to do with it, what with 70.6% of all Americans self-identifying as Christians.
So if a woman is gang-raped in Pakistan (96.4% Muslim), it's cool to quip #MuslimValues? You and rube wouldn't have a problem with that?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #786
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

The stats say most terrorists are brown! Can't argue with stats!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #787
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why didn't they change it to the name most people know it as: horse piss.

Quote:
A-B InBev on Tuesday, May 10, confirmed the limited-edition label change, saying “America” would replace “Budweiser” on the front of 12-oz. cans and bottles. The packaging will run from May 23 through election season in November, the brewer stated. The agency that handled the design change is Jones Knowles Ritchie, New York. The packaging will be accompanied by a summer-long campaign called “America is in Your Hands.” A national TV spot featuring the cans and bottles will premiere on June 1.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/budw...ca-this-summer

Old 05-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #788
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So if a woman is gang-raped in Pakistan (96.4% Muslim), it's cool to quip #MuslimValues? You and rube wouldn't have a problem with that?
Yes making flippant quotes on a Fox News article is the same as gang rape. That's some good false-equivalence there O'Reilly.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #789
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes making flippant quotes on a Fox News article is the same as gang rape. That's some good false-equivalence there O'Reilly.
Holy ####. You think this is a reasonable response? Let's back up and take this one step at a time.

Rube's joke is that if you're a Christian you shouldn't really be acting like that, based on the set of beliefs and attitudes that, as a Christian, you supposedly hold.

In making his joke, Rube made an assumption based on the general population, which is majority Christian, that the individuals behaving badly were Christians. He then drew a connection between the religious values of Christian people and the bad behaviour.

That is precisely what Cliff's analogy did as well. If it's acceptable in the one case to draw that conclusion, it must be acceptable in the other. The implication is that it's acceptable in neither.

The content of the behaviour in question is utterly irrelevant to the analogy.

Logic...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #790
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I'm sure he chose the content of behaviour precisely because of how morally unquestionable it is.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #791
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Why didn't they change it to the name most people know it as: horse piss.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/budw...ca-this-summer
They should have gone all in and went with "Murica!"

Also, this is ridiculous.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #792
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I'm sure he chose the content of behaviour precisely because of how morally unquestionable it is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #793
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't know that, but I suppose a bias cannot exist without an assumption.
Is the assumption off base?

http://www.people-press.org/2011/05/...-news-sources/

Quote:
Just more than half of Americans say they are Protestants (52%), but substantially more Staunch Conservatives (72%), Main Street Republicans (65%) and Hard-Pressed Democrats (70%) are Protestants.

Roughly 18% of Americans are white evangelical Protestants, but this doubles to roughly four-in-ten of the two core Republican groups. The Republican-leaning Disaffecteds also are more likely to be white evangelicals than the general public, but this does not hold true for Libertarians, just 12% of whom are white evangelicals.

Staunch Conservatives stand out for their use of Fox News for much of their news consumption. Roughly half (54%) say they regularly watch Fox News, and 81% watch at least sometimes.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #794
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where in that article was Christianity mentioned?

What portion of the comments explicitly mentioned Christianity?

Your comment was made in a offhand flippant way to paint Christians in a negative light when in fact there was no mention of Christianity in either the article or comments. Now you are trying to justify it by using demographic studies which again are separate from the specific article and have no bearing on it at all.

Asshats come in all shapes and colors rube. A specific demographic in this case has nothing to do with the subject and instead is only fabricated by you to assert your own bias.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #795
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your comment was made in a offhand flippant way to paint Christians in a negative light when in fact there was no mention of Christianity in either the article or comments.
I think it's hilarious that you and peter both completely whiffed on the commentary I was going for and saw it as an attack on Christianity/Christians and not specifically the asshats commenting on the article.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #796
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

So it was a tongue in cheek comment, but like totally based in reality since most Americans identify as Christians...

...and I missed what useless point exactly?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #797
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it was a tongue in cheek comment, but like totally based in reality since most Americans identify as Christians...

...and I missed what useless point exactly?
Would you have liked it better if I had said family values instead of Christian values? It was an extremely glib comment on the hypocrisy of the typical Fox News viewer.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #798
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Well we usually get someone stopping by in any threads on extremist Islamic practices with a "relgion of peace" drive-by.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #799
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Would you have liked it better if I had said family values instead of Christian values? It was an extremely glib comment on the hypocrisy of the typical Fox News viewer.
I would like it better if you say what you mean and mean what you say. If your objection is towards just simply asshats, then you could've said #asshats. Strange concept I know. But you would rather take the opportunity to exclaim your intolerance towards a religious group than say what is really on your mind. Get called on it, try and justify with demographic studies. Still get called on it "hurrumph, you simpletons just do not see the genius of my commentary!"

No, we just see through your bull****. To your next post to Cliff, what you did would be no different than taking an article about say, a violent knife attack that killed a few people. No mention of religion in either the article or comments, and then putting out a swarmy comment like...

#islamreligionofpeace

Same crap different pile.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #800
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would like it better if you say what you mean and mean what you say. If your objection is towards just simply asshats, then you could've said #asshats. Strange concept I know. But you would rather take the opportunity to exclaim your intolerance towards a religious group than say what is really on your mind. Get called on it, try and justify with demographic studies. Still get called on it "hurrumph, you simpletons just do not see the genius of my commentary!"
Holy crap, man. Let me try and break this down for you. Not all Christians watch Fox News, but most people who watch Fox News are Christian, hence the demographics point I was trying to make. The type of Christians that Fox News caters to are usually the ones who crow the loudest about Christian values, but are usually the biggest hypocrites when it comes to using said values to regulate their own behaviour. Therefore, I wasn't mocking Christians or Christian values. I was mocking the loudmouthed, hypocritical Christians that tend to make up the average Fox News viewer.

I also never called anyone a simpleton or insinuated that my commentary was "genius." It was pretty much lowest common denominator stuff. Didn't realize that some of the stalwarts of the anti-PC movement would go all PC on this.