Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is interesting....

https://data.calgary.ca/Transportati...-Map/6i89-ys4j

Under severity select injury and death. I don't think we care about property damage in this discussion, but we shouldn't limit it to death only.

What do we see? Lots of clusters. This strikes me as a problem that could be solved by directly looking at these areas, and perhaps reducing speeds, or other changes where they occur. Most of the city doesn't seem to have any problem whatsoever. In fact, zooming in most of the issues are on major roads, not community ones. So a blanket solution reducing speeds on roads where there are no issues doesn't make much sense, unless this is bad data.

EDIT: Ok, "This map includes the date, location and severity (property damage, injury or fatal) of motor vehicle collisions involving pedestrians in 10 Calgary communities from 2008-2017." Which explains the clusters. It doesn't change that fact that most issues are on the main roads though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #42
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Inside neighbourhood speed, not applicable to collectors.

I'm fully for this. The survival rate for pedestrian - vehicular incidents is 90% at 30 km/h. It's a no brainer for me.
How many pedestrian deaths were there in the last few years on roads that this would impact? Or is this just a continuation of the "if it saves just one life" mentality?

Would you also support he police starting to lay charges in the 50% of collisions where the pedestrian is at fault?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #43
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Interesting...
I'm really just posting this to see who is gonna be the first to call this a cash cow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
F--k me. This is absolutely mental. No to a 30 KM/H speed limit.

If you want people to obey the speed limits, set reasonable speed limits. Elbow Drive, a majority of people exceed the posted 40 KM/H limit because it's unreasonable, it's easily a 50 - 60 KM/H zone in any other part of town, or any other city. The only reason people actually do 30 KM/H through the school zone is because they know there's very likely photo radar on the side of the road, and CPS tend to enjoy that particular cash cow.
I was off a bit I suppose, but I guess calling school zones a cash cow is about the same.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a map with a lot more data. Again, it looks like the majority of issues are on major roads.

https://fusiontables.googleuserconte...hml=GEOCODABLE
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #45
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Here is a map with a lot more data. Again, it looks like the majority of issues are on major roads.

https://fusiontables.googleuserconte...hml=GEOCODABLE
What is interesting for me is that many of the dots on roads that I know/frequent are in zones that are already playground/school zones, or are places where people try to dart across to beat a light or because the next intersection is too far away. There are many at intersections that are already controlled, or across main roads which would presumably not be affected by the speed reduction. Not sure that a blanket speed reduction is the solution to whatever problem they claim to be facing.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #46
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Well and that's kind of it, isn't it. Proposing solutions for a problem that exists but not in the area that the solution will be implemented. It seems par for the course sometimes with the mix we have in City Council.

I wrote to the Councillor for my ward about it. Can't complain later if you don't make your opinion known now.

Quote:
I was off a bit I suppose, but I guess calling school zones a cash cow is about the same.
Do you want a gold star? Sorry, I don't usually pay attention to posts that don't contribute anything to the discussion.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #47
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

We have had this in Airdrie since I have been here and my commute to downtown Calgary is still only 10 mins.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
We have had this in Airdrie since I have been here and my commute to downtown Calgary is still only 10 mins.
Ten minutes from Airdrie to downtown Calgary? I'm calling BS on that. I don't think you could even pull that off at 3:00 a.m. with nobody on the road.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It gets shorter and shorter every time I hear it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was ready to be outraged when I first heard about this, but then I thought about it more and my house is in a playground zone that ends right at the lights to a mainstreet. I don't drive much residential, and when I do, I'm usually not going 50. So outside of when I get home after 9 p.m. this would pretty much not affect me.

I wonder how many other people had a kneejerk reaction like me.

Even at my old place deep into a neighbourhood, between my house and the main drag, there was three school/playground zones, a couple blind bends that you shouldn't/couldn't take going 50 and narrow streets that forced you to slow down if someone was coming opposite direction . So I imagine even if they did implement the 30 limit that it wouldn't increase my commute time more than a minute a day at that location. Not that it wouldn't feel like an eternity.

Which neighbourhoods would be worst for this?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

From Aiurdrie to Calgary down town is 28 kms. at 120 kms per hour its a 14 minute trip. So your driving the whole trip at about 150?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #52
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Do you want a gold star? Sorry, I don't usually pay attention to posts that don't contribute anything to the discussion.
Shantz's Law:

Whenever a thread is started that discusses a new law that comes in fines (especially traffic laws), someone will immediately call it a "Cash Cow" without giving any consideration to the intent of the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #53
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shantz's Law:

Whenever a thread is started that discusses a new law that comes in fines (especially traffic laws), someone will immediately call it a "Cash Cow" without giving any consideration to the intent of the law.
Then your 'law' was not fulfilled by my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It gets shorter and shorter every time I hear it.
My office is in Eau Claire and it still takes me 12 minutes door-to-door from my home in Garrison Green. 10 minutes from Airdrie? Bull.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 09-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #54
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I thought putting in roundabouts and speed bumps solved speeding in residential areas
Those are expensive, and it's not easy to get the city to put them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I didnt realize that we had such an epidemic of fatal collisions in Residential Areas to warrant this solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Half of collisions occur when the pedestrian has the right of way. 20% of accidents are hit and runs. Average 9 fatalities per year. The draft report 2 years ago recommended 40 as the reduction. Survival rate at 45 is 50% compared to 90% at 30km.

If 1 pedestrian is hit per day if collisions were occurring at 50km we would expect 180 deaths per year. If collisions occurred at 30km we would average 36 deaths per year. Since the average deaths is only 9 per year the vast majority of collisions already occur at less than 30km/hr.

Reducing the speed limit could possibly make the 9 average drop to 4. However when you look at hit and runs being 20% of collisions it makes you question whether it’s a law problem or a compliance problem
Why are we only looking at fatalities? The ratio of traffic injuries to fatalities is something like 60:1. There were 1,200 pedestrian casualty collisions in Alberta in 2015, so around 450 in Calgary. If there were 450 Calgarians hospitalized from violent muggings in a year, there's be a mass outrage and calls for drastic government action.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
From Aiurdrie to Calgary down town is 28 kms. at 120 kms per hour its a 14 minute trip. So your driving the whole trip at about 150?
No, he's not going 150 the whole trip. He's doing 30 in the residential area. Didn't you even read his post?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #56
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

F***. Now all these 80 year old drivers will do 30 instead of 50 on 14th and Anderson, and will hold onto their licenses till death because they have been ahead of the curve all along.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
F***. Now all these 80 year old drivers will do 30 instead of 50 on 14th and Anderson, and will hold onto their licenses till death because they have been ahead of the curve all along.

Eh, we built this country on broken back and calloused hands for your generation of computer typing, namby pamby soft punks.

So show some respect and stay behind us like a good boy.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #58
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Eh, we built this country on broken back and calloused hands for your generation of computer typing, namby pamby soft punks.

So show some respect and stay behind us like a good boy.
Was that you doing 40 on Heritage this afternoon, braking at every intersection regardless of traffic control devices (or lack thereof)?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #59
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I have no issue with 30 km/h on non collectors. Most already feel unsafe to go more than that.

Collectors are a separate issue. I could go with collectors being 40 kph (unless signed otherwise), and then get rid of all playground zones. Playground zones beside a collector should probably be fenced anyway.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Was that you doing 40 on Heritage this afternoon, braking at every intersection regardless of traffic control devices (or lack thereof)?

I don't know what you're yammering about, but the human body can't maintain its muscular cohesion when it breaks the 35 kph barrier, so I think that your lying that you saw a vehicle going that fast.

Now can you tell me where I can get my car reshoed?