Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #861
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why different terms for different positions? Term length is the same and the mayor seat doesn't have any restrictions on holding any type of office before. Change the mayor's office from a weak system to a strong one and I could see the justification.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #862
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We really need term limits for municipal government. Three terms for councillor, two for mayor.
I used to be onboard with this idea, but now I just think it artificially restricts people's choices with no benefit to th citizens.

What it does benefit is special interest who can run their candidates against weaker compition as good people in those positions are force to retire. Getting quality people who want to expose themselves to public elections is already hard enough.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #863
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Councillors typically take a term to get their feet wet. And mayors have typically come from the ranks of councillors. And the higher authority position should be changed up more frequently.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #864
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We really need term limits for municipal government. Three terms for councillor, two for mayor.
We need stronger candidates that can challenge incumbents that don't really make a difference for the wards they represent so then it's not automatic they get reelected.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #865
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Read Amethyst’s post.
You mean when Nenshi said (responding to a question about dining with just your household or cohort), "Dr. Hinshaw has been very clear on this point, but she's also been very clear on the fact that she's not expecting restaurants to fully enforce it and the limit of six to a table is meant to be an enforcement structure for that but she has been very clear, on everything restaurants are not exempt from the rule that if you're meeting anyone other than your cohort, you have to stay two metres apart" on May 26? And followed up by clarifying "I always use people you live with as my shorthand, but you can have a double bubble, you can have two families that are cohorting together."

12 days after Hinshaw said, on May 14, "Our general advice to the public is you should only be going out to restaurants or bars and sitting at tables where you're closer than two metres apart with your household or your cohort... so the recommendation would be that if you can go and sit two metres apart from someone and maintain that distance the entire time you're there, then that would be the only condition we would recommend that you're sitting with someone outside your household or your cohort."

This is the kind of castigating we're talking about? I mean Amethyst's post is wrong, considering Nenshi said cohort (not household). But that's why we're outraged? He repeated the recommendations from Hinshaw? The bar for "castigating" or "severely reprimanding" regular Calgarians is a simple repeat of recommendations and reminding them of guidelines? Really? When did we become so sensitive?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #866
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I used to be onboard with this idea, but now I just think it artificially restricts people's choices with no benefit to th citizens.

What it does benefit is special interest who can run their candidates against weaker compition as good people in those positions are force to retire. Getting quality people who want to expose themselves to public elections is already hard enough.
Balanced against that is the huge advantage incumbents have in municipal politics. Unless they really screw the pooch while in office, an incumbent can easily win re-election with three weeks of campaigning every four years. The lack of turnover makes for stale councils and the hardening of factional lines. 12 years is a good, long run for any job.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #867
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
He owns two commercial body shops...one here and one in Vegas. On policy, he seems to echo the "We should run government like a business!" ethos.
I guess that's why he said we should stop paying $3 for something that costs us $1.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #868
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's politics today. It's witchhunt on one side and slippery slope on the other side

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #869
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You mean when Nenshi said (responding to a question about dining with just your household or cohort), "Dr. Hinshaw has been very clear on this point, but she's also been very clear on the fact that she's not expecting restaurants to fully enforce it and the limit of six to a table is meant to be an enforcement structure for that but she has been very clear, on everything restaurants are not exempt from the rule that if you're meeting anyone other than your cohort, you have to stay two metres apart" on May 26? And followed up by clarifying "I always use people you live with as my shorthand, but you can have a double bubble, you can have two families that are cohorting together."

12 days after Hinshaw said, on May 14, "Our general advice to the public is you should only be going out to restaurants or bars and sitting at tables where you're closer than two metres apart with your household or your cohort... so the recommendation would be that if you can go and sit two metres apart from someone and maintain that distance the entire time you're there, then that would be the only condition we would recommend that you're sitting with someone outside your household or your cohort."

This is the kind of castigating we're talking about? I mean Amethyst's post is wrong, considering Nenshi said cohort (not household). But that's why we're outraged? He repeated the recommendations from Hinshaw? The bar for "castigating" or "severely reprimanding" regular Calgarians is a simple repeat of recommendations and reminding them of guidelines? Really? When did we become so sensitive?
That's not the time I was referring to. As if Nenshi only told people what to do once? The time I'm referring to, he said household and he also talked about going out with your softball team not being allowed. I don't have the exact quote anymore, since I listened, got pissed off, followed Hinshaw's rules, and moved on with my life.

Now I hear that he didn't even tell his staff not to travel internationally, when he apparently knew about it in November. It reminds me of that and I'm annoyed, not outraged. It's not like I'm going to vote for Farkas.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #870
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Kinda telling that all the MLA travel news went in the Alberta politics thread and MP travel went in the federal politics thread, but Nenshi gets his own thread instead of the YYCCC thread. Because Nenshi always gets his own thread.
There are few people on this earth that love the sound of their own voice more than Nenshi so this is probably the way he likes it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #871
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That's not the time I was referring to. As if Nenshi only told people what to do once? The time I'm referring to, he said household and he also talked about going out with your softball team not being allowed. I don't have the exact quote anymore, since I listened, got pissed off, followed Hinshaw's rules, and moved on with my life.

Now I hear that he didn't even tell his staff not to travel internationally, when he apparently knew about it in November. It reminds me of that and I'm annoyed, not outraged. It's not like I'm going to vote for Farkas.
I'm not saying YOU are outraged, my only reference to you was that it was entirely likely you got it wrong. He even clarified he uses people you live with as shorthand and knows cohorts are allowed, and specifically mentioned cohorts in the quote I gave.

The only time I remember him mentioning a softball team was in regards to the protests, suggesting people are smart, compassionate, and thoughtful enough to know the difference between going for beers with your softball team and protesting for fundamental human rights, while encouraging all those protestors to get tested for COVID.

The point being, the narrative that this is an issue because he's castigated Calgarians for not going beyond legal minimums, needs some kind of reference, or it's not an issue. And if your recollection was the reference, there's plenty out there that shows it wasn't his position and you likely just misheard, so again, it doesn't really seem like that's a real issue.

It's an issue because people shouldn't be engaged in non-essential travelling. Outside of that, there really doesn't seem to be anything else to it. He didn't lie, there's no real sign of hypocrisy, as mayor he has absolutely zero say over international travel and hasn't been overly engaged in anything outside official restrictions and bylaw. To be annoyed because you thought the mayor said only go to the bar with your household, and didn't stop someone going for a vacation, makes about as much sense as being annoyed Kenney signed off on vacations because he's the one who mandated masks. If you have to reach, it's probably not worth it.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #872
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
People who say they should run government like a business don't really seem to understand the purpose of a government.
Well sort of but a lot of businesses run tight ships and take ethics very seriously and that's something our governments could improve on greatly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #873
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whatever... he was mentioning restaurants (not bars) and softball teams. He mentioned softball teams a few times that I heard. I'm annoyed that he's telling citizens they should do less than the restrictions allow but he's not telling his staff that. What the restriction is doesn't matter to me.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #874
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe now, he won't subject us all to his moral outrage for a couple of weeks days. who am I kidding, he won't be able to help himself.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #875
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again not outraged at all. But Pepsi you sure seem to be focusing on one posters use of a term quite literally to excuse things. Nenshi was on record multiple times saying that Alberta restrictions needed to be tighter and that he would look into taking things into his own hands if more wasn’t done. Considering him and his chief of staff likely orchestrate said speeches and opinions on this matter. Yes, if Kenneys chief of staff is a big deal so is Nenshis.

All in all this seems to be a lot about nothing though, the whole lot of it.The Allard one was really tone deaf though. But really can people blame anyone for leaving when policy wise the opportunity too was left open? Hell it’s basically promoted with our fast track testing program running out of YYC. I feel most terrible for I believe it was a Liberal MP who went to a funeral in the states and had to resign. Like for real? Out of all the reasons to travel that one seemed the most reasonable too me. I don’t understand the need to step down as I would consider that a fairly essential reason to travel if someone close to you has passed away.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #876
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess what surprises me is that she never really accomplished much of anything for the Ward. I lived there for a long time, and frankly she was completely ineffective. It's hard to judge, but transportation might have been her weakest performance as the "fish creek bottleneck" was an ongoing issue that was never properly addressed.
She is my least favourite councillor. As much as i disagree with Farkas, i understand why people like him.

I see no redeeming qualities for DCU
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #877
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well sort of but a lot of businesses run tight ships and take ethics very seriously and that's something our governments could improve on greatly.
I know this is the common sentiment, and one i was steadfastly in agreement with years ago, but I just don't think there is any real evidence of this.

An argument could be made that CEO's or Executive's of large businesses would have experience in managing a large bureaucratic organization like a government, but even then i find the overall function of both to be entirely different.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #878
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346923761472217089
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #879
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Again not outraged at all. But Pepsi you sure seem to be focusing on one posters use of a term quite literally to excuse things. Nenshi was on record multiple times saying that Alberta restrictions needed to be tighter and that he would look into taking things into his own hands if more wasn’t done. Considering him and his chief of staff likely orchestrate said speeches and opinions on this matter. Yes, if Kenneys chief of staff is a big deal so is Nenshis.

All in all this seems to be a lot about nothing though, the whole lot of it.The Allard one was really tone deaf though. But really can people blame anyone for leaving when policy wise the opportunity too was left open? Hell it’s basically promoted with our fast track testing program running out of YYC. I feel most terrible for I believe it was a Liberal MP who went to a funeral in the states and had to resign. Like for real? Out of all the reasons to travel that one seemed the most reasonable too me. I don’t understand the need to step down as I would consider that a fairly essential reason to travel if someone close to you has passed away.
For the record I don't think Kenney's chief of staff was a big deal, in isolation.

Elected officials? Sure. Sliding scale for the oversight level i.e. Municipal < Provincial < Federal. But the vacations themselves are tone-deaf and a bad look on the individual level. I don't honestly give a #### if people who work for government in unelected roles want to take a vacation to Hawaii, it's no different than your neighbor going to Mexico. These are not people that control restrictions or spend time telling us to hunker down. They do not claim to represent us, they are employees. I also don't expect the premier or the mayor to attempt to ban people from doing whatever they want on their time off, if I myself am able to do the very same thing.

Outright lying about it (how much you knew, how much control you have), engaging in weird videos telling people to stay home while you're on vacay, and trotting out sob-story excuses about how much you deserved that beach vacation? That's why these turned into big issues for elected officials.

I don't care if you go to Hawaii. I don't care if some random unelected person on a city or provincial paycheque goes to Hawaii, from the janitors to the chief of staff. I do care if the people who we elected, and who are both the ones responsible for the restrictions and the ones responsible for ensure their electorate follows them, take a vacation. And I do care if elected officials make excuses and lie about it.

Own it, move on. Seems simple. Escapes most.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #880
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
For the record I don't think Kenney's chief of staff was a big deal, in isolation.

Elected officials? Sure. Sliding scale for the oversight level i.e. Municipal < Provincial < Federal. But the vacations themselves are tone-deaf and a bad look on the individual level. I don't honestly give a #### if people who work for government in unelected roles want to take a vacation to Hawaii, it's no different than your neighbor going to Mexico. These are not people that control restrictions or spend time telling us to hunker down. They do not claim to represent us, they are employees. I also don't expect the premier or the mayor to attempt to ban people from doing whatever they want on their time off, if I myself am able to do the very same thing.

Outright lying about it (how much you knew, how much control you have), engaging in weird videos telling people to stay home while you're on vacay, and trotting out sob-story excuses about how much you deserved that beach vacation? That's why these turned into big issues for elected officials.

I don't care if you go to Hawaii. I don't care if some random unelected person on a city or provincial paycheque goes to Hawaii, from the janitors to the chief of staff. I do care if the people who we elected, and who are both the ones responsible for the restrictions and the ones responsible for ensure their electorate follows them, take a vacation. And I do care if elected officials make excuses and lie about it.

Own it, move on. Seems simple. Escapes most.
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat