Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #721
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I don't care about the Chu insult, but threatening those who donate to him? That's extremely concerning to hear coming from a councilor. So much so that I assumed it was a fake account.
Yeah I hope that's fake as it's a very bad look.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #722
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You know, you don't always have to be a buzzkill and take everything so seriously. It might be nice to enjoy the internet once in a while.
Ha ha ha. That's kind of funny coming from you.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #723
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I hope that's fake as it's a very bad look.
But Chu is an ignorant moron. We always want to hear the truth from politicians, don't we?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #724
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha. That's kind of funny coming from you.
Funny... a stark warning... it's a fine line. When someone like me who is 90% buzzkill is telling you to relax, you've got some soul searching to do.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #725
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But Chu is an ignorant moron. We always want to hear the truth from politicians, don't we?
Call Chu an ignorant moron then, it's unprofessional but we've seen that no one cares about unprofessional politicians anymore anyways. Saying that those who donate to him will be targeted and 'pushed' though? I think that goes directly against democracy really. I consider this worse than Joe's expenses.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #726
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Expense fraud - kinda bad, I guess?
Calling someone a moron on twitter - this is beyond the pale!

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #727
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

Seems to me that most of the 'outrage' isn't to do with "calling someone a moron on twitter" but an elected official threatening another elected official's donors...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #728
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'm glad Gondek and Wooley have had enough of the tired conservative playbook of handing out misinformation and insults knowing the other side will never respond in kind. Then in the rare times they get it sent back their way, they act grievously wounded. The fake moral outrage that comes from these bozos when the tables are turned back on them is always the same.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #729
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I have to wonder how deep-rooted the development industry is on Council to make Woolley say that in public. Then again, he made that Tweet at 1:41 AM so maybe he was drunk or off his rocker.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #730
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Seems to me that most of the 'outrage' isn't to do with "calling someone a moron on twitter" but an elected official threatening another elected official's donors...
Threatening? Let me know when calling out a group of people who have plenty of evidence against them to show they are trying to overly influence elections is a threat. Are you somehow interpreting "pushing" as a physical threat? It sounded more like putting them in the spotlight.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #731
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

Ignoring points so you can make a sarcastic comment.

Just imagine if Trump said that anyone caught donating to Biden would feel his wrath and the uproar that would cause. But some local politician does it and it's fine.

Threatening donators for the sole reason of them donating to a rival politician is a slap in the face to our democracy, I won't be convinced otherwise and I'm glad it's just some small-time councilor saying this and not Trudeau.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #732
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Chu is one of the most ignorant morons on council. Every developer that donates to him is a target that I will push
He's going to... push them? Where's he going to push them, off a cliff? Into the river?

To be honest, I don't really get what he's trying to say. I can understand being upset at the lack of decorum but is that really a threat? It doesn't seem like much of one to me

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-05-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #733
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You know, you don't always have to be a buzzkill and take everything so seriously. It might be nice to enjoy the internet once in a while.
I just think it's weird that at a time when most of us are shaking our heads at the toxic political culture in the U.S., we would want to cheer on Canadian politicians resorting to the same kind of antagonist, personal attacks.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #734
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The alternative is letting Chu, Farkas, Magnliocca just keep on keepin’ on.

There needs to be psychological, ethics, and intelligence testing before being allowed to run for any kind of elected office.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #735
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

like it or not, but at least the City Council in Edmonton had the balls to just make a decision.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/speed-limit-on-edmontons-residential-roads-will-drop-to-40-km-h-next-summer#:~:text=Speed%20limits%20on%20Edmonton's%20 residential,arterial%20roads%20and%20industrial%20 areas.

Speed limits on Edmonton’s residential roads and several high-pedestrian main streets will drop to 40 km/h next summer after a 9-3 vote by city council Wednesday afternoon.

The change will impact local and collector residential roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h, but not arterial roads and industrial areas. There are also 22 exception road segments that will remain at 50 km/h because the city’s traffic safety department deemed the road designs wide enough for higher speeds.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #736
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think it's important that he was explicit that it was just developers donating to Chu. It's no secret that Wooley received some of the highest amount of donations in last election. Much of which was from developers himself.

If Wooley is concerned about developers trying to buy votes, he can start explaining why he is fine accepting donations from developers, list those developers, explain he will repay back those donations, and finally tell us why he went against expert (and common sense) to vote for 14 new communities in 2018. Or he can concede that he's doing the same thing as Chu and this has nothing to do with anything except a completely inappropriate anti-democracy threat towards people who have the legal right to donate to Chu.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #737
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The alternative is letting Chu, Farkas, Magnliocca just keep on keepin’ on.

There needs to be psychological, ethics, and intelligence testing before being allowed to run for any kind of elected office.
First question should be "If someone donates to a political rival, is it ever appropriate to threaten them?"
Old 11-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #738
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
like it or not, but at least the City Council in Edmonton had the balls to just make a decision.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/speed-limit-on-edmontons-residential-roads-will-drop-to-40-km-h-next-summer#:~:text=Speed%20limits%20on%20Edmonton's%20 residential,arterial%20roads%20and%20industrial%20 areas.

Speed limits on Edmonton’s residential roads and several high-pedestrian main streets will drop to 40 km/h next summer after a 9-3 vote by city council Wednesday afternoon.

The change will impact local and collector residential roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h, but not arterial roads and industrial areas. There are also 22 exception road segments that will remain at 50 km/h because the city’s traffic safety department deemed the road designs wide enough for higher speeds.
Sounds fairly sensible and at least they didn't go to the 30 km/h extreme. I feel if Calgary City Hall started at 40 km/h instead of eying 30 km/h it may not have been nearly as controversial.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #739
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I also think it's important that he was explicit that it was just developers donating to Chu. It's no secret that Wooley received some of the highest amount of donations in last election. Much of which was from developers himself.

If Wooley is concerned about developers trying to buy votes, he can start explaining why he is fine accepting donations from developers, list those developers, explain he will repay back those donations, and finally tell us why he went against expert (and common sense) to vote for 14 new communities in 2018. Or he can concede that he's doing the same thing as Chu and this has nothing to do with anything except a completely inappropriate anti-democracy threat towards people who have the legal right to donate to Chu.
I'm not sure his point was that accepting money from developers is bad, it was that Chu is a moron, and if you donate to a moron, he's gonna call you out on it.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-05-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #740
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I just think it's weird that at a time when most of us are shaking our heads at the toxic political culture in the U.S., we would want to cheer on Canadian politicians resorting to the same kind of antagonist, personal attacks.
Seems a touch dramatic considering the stark differences between the two situations, but do you. We are in a thread dedicated to Sean Chu being an ignorant moron, so I guess Evan said the quiet part loud? Oops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure his point was that accepting money from developers is bad, it was that Chu is a moron, and if you do ante to a moron, he's gonna call you out on it.
Yes, but if we take this straightforward interpretation, how can we wax poetic on anti-democratic threats of uhh... physically pushing each developer individually, I guess?

Nay, we must believe Woolley intends this violence!

All this aside, seems like it's probably worth noting that some developers are donating to a man who seems to understand literally no issue council faces at any given time, needs his hand held constantly, and when he does speak either says something which is incomprehensibly stupid, or is an outright attack on at-risk Calgarians?

Perhaps the answer is just to remove donations, which are going to be more or less self-interest based instead of based on capabilities (in Chu's case, 100% the former) from city politics entirely?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat