Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #401
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the front office is really high on Andersson's abilities, and there are some sort of "behind the scenes" issues then I could easily see Treliving moving Hamilton for the pieces we need up front.

And when I say "high on his abilities" I mean if they believe he is ready and can step into the NHL and take off running with slight sheltering and a good partner.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #402
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious as to why the only name consistently brought up in trade is Hamiltons. By consistently I mean by the calgary media.

You hear blips and burbbles about maybe bennett, maybe Ferland but the constant is Hamilton. There has to be a reason that the sports media that is spoon fed information from the team is on Hamilton like Fly's on a carcass.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #403
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
See the post above yours, these "suggestions" are not coming out of thin air unfortunately, they stem from some key media personnel who all seem to be banging the same drum. Names aren't being used directly but all the smoke indicates that of Hamilton and so SOME posters are exploring the possibilities of what the return could/would be if there's "fire" to the "smoke".

Brace yourselves.
Like mentioned above by 2bears, if this was the case then Boston Media would have been all over it when Boston had no choice but to walk away from him. The fan base would have been all over a story about him being problematic or an issue and the media would have been drooling to write about it. Boston trading him isn't a sign either as they offered him several contracts and tried signing him for half a year before realizing it wasn't happening and having to move on.

Hamilton's name gets brought up a lot because the fans feed into it. It is asinine to believe that the media do not troll fan websites to get idea's on what direction to go and having Hamiltons name mentioned 1000's of times on this site leads to 100's of stories because they play to their consumer.

Last edited by Diemenz; 06-20-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #404
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Like mentioned above by 2bears, if this was the case then Boston Media would have been all over it when Boston had no choice but to walk away from him. The fan base would have been all over a story about him being problematic or an issue and the media would have been drooling to write about it. Boston trading him isn't a sign either as they offered him several contracts and tried signing him for half a year before realizing it wasn't happening and having to move on.
Over the last few years I've heard rumours about character type issues about a few prominent Flames, which I haven't wanted to share because while they are credible, they are not substantiated enough for me. In that time Hamilton's name never came up at all.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #405
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Need more than just a top 5 pick. Toronto still makes the most sense Marner/Nylander, 25th, 52nd, Kapanan.

Flames get to draft in the first two rounds. They get a top 6 forward and another potential top 6 forward.
I don’t see any way the Flames get all of that from Toronto. Maybe Nylander and one of the picks but I don’t see them giving up one of those big 3 forwards and Kapanen in the same deal.

Leaf fans do not seem to want to chase the big fish D and rather go after second pairing guys like Tanev. Obviously the fans do not represent Dubas.

I also can’t see the Flames moving Hamilton for picks even if they can draft Tkachuk. They have 4 years of Gaudreau left before he leaves or gets $10M+ so they need to capitalize on that window. They would need NHL ready elite forward(s) in return.

I doubt this happens but I wonder if Benning would trade the 7th pick for Bennett. Seems like a massive overpay by Vancouver but they tried to trade up in 2014 to draft him. Benning is also a poor trader and the 7th pick seems to be in play. If Tkachuk slipped to 7 it would be quite comical for the Canucks to gift him to the Flames.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #406
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm curious as to why the only name consistently brought up in trade is Hamiltons. By consistently I mean by the calgary media...

There has to be a reason that the sports media that is spoon fed information from the team is on Hamilton like Fly's on a carcass.
It is because at this time of year local media outlets are desperate for any sort of information or attention, and most of them are not altogether very creative. Given how many times the Flames have pulled the trigger on trades and acquisitions that have been missed entirely by the media, it doesn't seem at all unusual to me for local pundits to make up ####. What else are they going to report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #407
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Over the last few years I've heard rumours about character type issues about a few prominent Flames, which I haven't wanted to share because while they are credible, they are not substantiated enough for me. In that time Hamilton's name never came up at all.

Would johnny eat the celery out of spicy caesar? thats really what needs to be learned, Skittles dont pair well as garnish.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #408
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Would johnny eat the celery out of spicy caesar? thats really what needs to be learned, Skittles dont pair well as garnish.
Celery is a vegetable so no.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #409
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Celery is a vegetable so no.

Character issues confirmed

(all in jest of course) Dam we need some quantifiable reports soon...
Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #410
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, party shamers. Don't care about that, not even a little bit.

If something is up with Dougie, it's not something someone may have heard from the bathroom stall over.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #411
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I don't think Dougie's character off the ice will ever be questioned. I think if the Flames have any issues with him, its how he is at the rink.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #412
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Man is Ottawa ever in a poopy situation. Have they made the decision on whether this year or next year they give the 1st to Colorado? Man would it suck being a fan for that team knowing the team they cheer for is being blown up may not have a first rounder next year. It was bad enough around here with the Hamonic situation, cannot imagine the one Ottawa may put themselves into.
As far as I know they have until their pick to make this decision. Although, I imagine keeping the 4th overall is the safest bet. Teams like the Rangers and Red Wings are going to be intentionally bad. Plus, the Canadiens, Canucks, Sabres and Coyotes will probably suck too. Lots of competition for last place and even if they do finish last, they will most likely draft 4th.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #413
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t see any way the Flames get all of that from Toronto. Maybe Nylander and one of the picks but I don’t see them giving up one of those big 3 forwards and Kapanen in the same deal.

Leaf fans do not seem to want to chase the big fish D and rather go after second pairing guys like Tanev. Obviously the fans do not represent Dubas.

I also can’t see the Flames moving Hamilton for picks even if they can draft Tkachuk. They have 4 years of Gaudreau left before he leaves or gets $10M+ so they need to capitalize on that window. They would need NHL ready elite forward(s) in return.

I doubt this happens but I wonder if Benning would trade the 7th pick for Bennett. Seems like a massive overpay by Vancouver but they tried to trade up in 2014 to draft him. Benning is also a poor trader and the 7th pick seems to be in play. If Tkachuk slipped to 7 it would be quite comical for the Canucks to gift him to the Flames.
I don't know where you got that from, but the were after Reinhart.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #414
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I don't think Dougie's character off the ice will ever be questioned. I think if the Flames have any issues with him, its how he is at the rink.
I continue to think that criticism of his effort is largely because he skates really smoothly. Sure he's guilty of reaching sometimes, but that's probably because he's always been able to do it successfully, and what defenceman doesn't get caught sometimes.

I recall others who ad the same issue - they moved seemingly effortlessly so people thought there was no effort.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #415
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
I continue to think that criticism of his effort is largely because he skates really smoothly. Sure he's guilty of reaching sometimes, but that's probably because he's always been able to do it successfully, and what defenceman doesn't get caught sometimes.

I recall others who ad the same issue - they moved seemingly effortlessly so people thought there was no effort.
I'm thinking another direction. Is there something about how he carries himself off the ice that they have issues with? To put it bluntly (and at the risk of generalizing) is his give a #### factor low? Do they question his will to win? Is he last to arrive, first to leave? Does he take losses the same as wins?
I would hope that decision makers with the Flames would see his on ice production and effort for what it is. Like you're saying. Hopefully that wouldn't be the issue.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #416
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I think the media knows something about Dougie that most fans don't. Kerr was very careful around the "addition by subtraction", Pinder has had a few one offs about Dougie and Boomer hinting at an OEL trade discussion earlier. There is way too much smoke around a young top pairing defenseman with solid numbers...in any other situation moving Dougie would not even be considered.
There's more to it than just the guys on 960.
  • Hamilton turned down an invitation to the 2016 World Championships (from his own GM), even though he's young, single, and was uninjured.
  • He was not considered for the World Cup North America team, being passed over in favour of several players with less NHL experience.
  • Again, turned down an invite to the 2017 World Championships.
  • Was apparently not even invited to this year's World Championships team.

That should give some insight into Hamilton's give-a-crap meter and how he's regarded by the hockey community at large. It's not exactly the resume of a guy in whom the competitive fires blaze brightly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #417
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm curious as to why the only name consistently brought up in trade is Hamiltons. By consistently I mean by the calgary media.

You hear blips and burbbles about maybe bennett, maybe Ferland but the constant is Hamilton. There has to be a reason that the sports media that is spoon fed information from the team is on Hamilton like Fly's on a carcass.
I think Hamilton's name keeps popping up because he has great value and doesn't have a NTC. His game isn't perfect but I think he could easily get the Flames a top 6 RW+ picks or prospects (Nylander/ROR type players). I would much rather trade Brodie (who has a NTC), but I don't think you can get a return that makes it worthwhile.

People question Hamilton's effort because he isn't overly physical but every team in the league would take him in a heart beat.

Last edited by TheKurgan; 06-20-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #418
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
There's more to it than just the guys on 960.
  • Hamilton turned down an invitation to the 2016 World Championships (from his own GM), even though he's young, single, and was uninjured.
  • He was not considered for the World Cup North America team, being passed over in favour of several players with less NHL experience.
  • Again, turned down an invite to the 2017 World Championships.
  • Was apparently not even invited to this year's World Championships team.

That should give some insight into Hamilton's give-a-crap meter and how he's regarded by the hockey community at large. It's not exactly the resume of a guy in whom the competitive fires blaze brightly.
Good points, I don't know if Hamilton is a guy who hates to lose. But the Flames are trying to build that identity. Gaudreau, Backlund, Tkachuk, and Giordano are some of the players you know hate too lose. Those the guys you want on your team.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #419
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
People question Hamilton's effort because he isn't overly physical but every team in the league would take him in a heart beat.
There's also the fact the management of the Flames have made some comments expressing disappointment in how the team handles adversity, and suggesting players need to learn to be self-starters. The media have shared rumours by insiders that management is really not happy with how core players handled last season, and they intend to make big changes.

If you don't think there's anything at all wrong with the makeup and intensity of the Flame's core, and it's all been made up from whole cloth by bored media, then there's nothing to see here. It's highly unlikely Hamilton gets moved, and you can ignore all posts about him being traded.

But if you do believe the murmurings that something is wrong, that management feels it needs to change the makeup of the core, then Hamilton is almost certainly in the mix. Unless you think they're more likely to move Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, or Giordano. Because when a team changes its makeup, it doesn't do so by trading fourth liners and third pairing d-men.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #420
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

This is such a leap it's ridiculous. And really indicative of your overall outlook.

You have no idea what the circumstances surrounding those events were, yet you connect the dots and come to a conclusion that's long fit your narrative and presented in a way that appears factual.
Closed Thread