Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2024, 07:51 AM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Its pretty dire for next season. We have Weegar and Andersson. Maybe Kylington comes back.

Depending on what happens with trades etc, next season is shaping up to be ugly. This team is going to get clobbered.
Yes. That is going to have to be accepted by everyone in a rebuild. Luckily getting clobbered has some benefit
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:59 AM   #62
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Its pretty dire for next season. We have Weegar and Andersson. Maybe Kylington comes back.

Depending on what happens with trades etc, next season is shaping up to be ugly. This team is going to get clobbered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's almost as if the team is.....rebuilding.

The Flames are going to have 3-6 rookies and sophomore season players in the forward group. Their getting clobbered no matter what. Hopefully clobbered enough to get a top 5 pick.

I'd like to see them move Coleman and Marstrom too, to make the clobbering complete and get a top 3 pick.
The Flames have not said they’re rebuilding.

I really doubt they’ll run with that many rookies next season. They’ll have a lot of cap space, and they’ll use it to sign UFAs. Expect at least one big ($5 mil+) UFA on defence and one at forward to be signed, along with a couple more established $1-3m vets.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:31 AM   #63
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Look at Nashville. They moved out a lot of pieces last season. They went out and added O'Reilly, Nyquist, and Schenn in the summer to 2 and 3 year deals. I suspect the Flames will try something similar find older players off those third contracts that you can sign for shorter terms. Fans will be irate, but between that and looking to convert extra picks into a roster player at the draft, the team will likely add 3-4 players with NHL experience to the roster.

I can see why some teams on the cusp like Buffalo or Ottawa would covet a guy like Tanev to be a veteran presence.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 01-31-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 09:39 AM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Flames have not said they’re rebuilding.

I really doubt they’ll run with that many rookies next season. They’ll have a lot of cap space, and they’ll use it to sign UFAs. Expect at least one big ($5 mil+) UFA on defence and one at forward to be signed, along with a couple more established $1-3m vets.
There's not usually an announcement about these things.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:21 AM   #65
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Look at Nashville. They moved out a lot of pieces last season. They went out and added O'Reilly, Nyquist, and Schenn in the summer to 2 and 3 year deals. I suspect the Flames will try something similar find older players off those third contracts that you can sign for shorter terms. Fans will be irate, but between that and looking to convert extra picks into a roster player at the draft, the team will likely add 3-4 players with NHL experience to the roster.

I can see why some teams on the cusp like Buffalo or Ottawa would covet a guy like Tanev to be a veteran presence.
It’s the way I see this playing out also. Kinda a combo of what Nashville did and what Vancouver did to acquire Miller and hronek. It’s not what I would do. I would do full rebuild, but absolutely nothing that has been said or rumoured suggests they will go that path. Hopefully their plan works.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:22 AM   #66
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe not. But I don’t think they intend to rebuild either.

What I expect they will do:

* Deal UFAs who don’t want to be here long-term rather than let them walk for nothing.

* Stop spending picks on post-apex veterans.

* Give younger players more opportunity to make the team.

* Try to stay competitive by spending to the cap and going after veteran UFAs in the off-season (ie Pesce, Henrique, Montour, Stephenson, etc.)

What I expect they won’t do:

* Sell off veteran players who want to be here.

* Give up on hopes of making the playoffs next season.

* Deliberately tank in order to draft high.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:32 AM   #67
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Maybe not. But I don’t think they intend to rebuild either.

What I expect they will do:

* Deal UFAs who don’t want to be here long-term rather than let them walk for nothing.

* Stop spending picks on post-apex veterans.

* Give younger players more opportunity to make the team.

* Try to stay competitive by spending to the cap and going after veteran UFAs in the off-season (ie Pesce, Henrique, Montour, Stephenson, etc.)

What I expect they won’t do:

* Sell off veteran players who want to be here.

* Give up on hopes of making the playoffs next season.

* Deliberately tank in order to draft high.
Thats probably how it will go. When the reports came out the Flames were "Open for business" a lot assumed they would rebuild. They never really said that, that option could just be the team was struggling and something needed to change combined with contract talks not going well with important players.

If we take this approach, we need to draft well but we should land a few top 10 picks, hopefully win the lottery even once and hopefully we hit on some of these extra picks.

I also think we could flip extra picks for young players who need a change of scenary too. Conroy did very well adding Sharangovich. IMO he could be a 1st line winger, we still have yet to see his best. Maybe a 40-goal guy and is only 25. That trade could be franchise altering deal, maybe Conroy can pull off another one.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:40 AM   #68
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But at the same time they have a mid-league prospect base and are likely going to miss the playoffs and draft in that 14-15 area which is kind of a purgatory. It's not really a good place to be but with the rumors that they may be willing to move Saros could be an indication they may be willing to bottom out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:33 AM   #69
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the Senators have anything interesting that is reasonable for Tanev? I can't imagine they'd trade a 1st
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:38 AM   #70
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with this, but two problems. One, you're going to pay a premium at the deadline. Two, if you're not going into the playoffs and you're targeting a pending UFA, why not just wait until the summer and not give up an assets? You're going to end up paying his market value anyways if you want to retain him before July 1.

The only advantage here is if you want to ensure you have first dibs at him for a new contract, which isn't a guarantee. It's a roll of the dice and it will cost a team a premium.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:41 AM   #71
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

And if as many teams are in on Tanev as was reported, then the Sens would be borderline foolish to pay that much.

I just don't see it. Not at the deadline.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:43 AM   #72
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames send: Tanev (plus extension) + 2024 2nd
Sens send: 2024 1st (protected top 3)

Essentially the Sens drop 30 spots in the draft to get Tanev.
(I don't know why they would do this, but if they realllly want him...)

Last edited by Funkhouser; 01-31-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:24 PM   #73
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I agree with this, but two problems. One, you're going to pay a premium at the deadline. Two, if you're not going into the playoffs and you're targeting a pending UFA, why not just wait until the summer and not give up an assets? You're going to end up paying his market value anyways if you want to retain him before July 1.

The only advantage here is if you want to ensure you have first dibs at him for a new contract, which isn't a guarantee. It's a roll of the dice and it will cost a team a premium.
For sure.

I don't know Tanev, or what he values. But a lot of rentals like him do end up staying with the team who acquired them if they're not the 8 year top dollar types. So these teams might be thinking...if Colorado gets him now...he's not leaving.

I guess we wait and see what happens here. Tanev has been a good soldier, so long as he doesn't do it in Edmonton or Vancouver I'll be happy to see him win a cup in the future.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:35 PM   #74
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Nm
Old 01-31-2024, 12:40 PM   #75
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
For sure.

I don't know Tanev, or what he values. But a lot of rentals like him do end up staying with the team who acquired them if they're not the 8 year top dollar types. So these teams might be thinking...if Colorado gets him now...he's not leaving.

I guess we wait and see what happens here. Tanev has been a good soldier, so long as he doesn't do it in Edmonton or Vancouver I'll be happy to see him win a cup in the future.
This is fair. We don't know what Tanev wants ultimately. I would think though, that at his age and his tenure, he wants to win a cup. I think that's something that the Flames can and should talk to him about for potential destinations.

For all we know, he may want to come back to Calgary too. Communication will be key here for everyone involved in a potential trade.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:01 PM   #76
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

The Flames would never admit to a rebuild, but other teams have done it. Rangers & Hawks issued a letter to fans/season ticket holders a few years ago.
camm13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:11 PM   #77
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Flames send: Tanev (plus extension) + 2024 2nd
Sens send: 2024 1st (protected top 3)

Essentially the Sens drop 30 spots in the draft to get Tanev.
(I don't know why they would do this, but if they realllly want him...)
You are correct, there is zero reason why they would do this.

Their first round pick could be very good, they aren't giving that up for a player like Tanev.

And they don't have to, his value is not close to that.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:15 PM   #78
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
The Flames would never admit to a rebuild, but other teams have done it. Rangers & Hawks issued a letter to fans/season ticket holders a few years ago.
That's why I said "almost".

Interesting that, almost immediately after the Rangers issued their letter (in 2018) then went and signed Panarin and extended Kreider. And while they drafted high for the next two years, their draft picks aren't exactly their star players.

I guess this is why Brooks is sour.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:27 PM   #79
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Conny lit the bon fire big and bright! Hey, we're definitely in business. We're going for that rebuild!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:30 PM   #80
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames reportedly asking for a 1st for Tanev

https://twitter.com/user/status/1752888970000949727
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: