Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #981
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Far East Foods on 17th Ave SE near Barlow Trail has also been there forever. I've never eaten there but I remember that distinctive sign from my childhood.
that freaky grinning buddha scared the crap out of me as a child, and still sort of does to this day. it has always reminded me of those trippy disney cartoons from the 1930's where inanimate objects would come to life and at least one of them is pure evil.

one day I'll gather the courage to order takeout from there, but until then I'll probably just keep driving on towards fried chicken boulevard.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #982
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any feedback on Avec bistro as a Valentine's choice, keeping in mind that wife and I have been together long enough and don't necessarily need a Lakehouse or Bow Valley Ranche type atmosphere? Seems like a business lunch type place, but if the food is good and atmosphere decent enough, then we are happy.

edit- have Anew Table booked as a back up plan, just at a crappy time.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 02-01-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #983
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Any feedback on Avec bistro as a Valentine's choice, keeping in mind that wife and I have been together long enough and don't necessarily need a Lakehouse or Bow Valley Ranche type atmosphere? Seems like a business lunch type place, but if the food is good and atmosphere decent enough, then we are happy.

I've only been there once and it was for the Big Taste a few years ago, but I really enjoyed it and loved the food. I talked it up enough that one of my co-workers also went there to try it. It was a couple years ago, so I don't remember the atmosphere so much. I think the main reason I haven't been back is the location isn't as convenient as other options I go to.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #984
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
The Swiss Chalet restaurant on Memorial Drive East has been there since the late 70s. I know this because my parents would take my sister and I there as a reward if we've been good. Far East Foods on 17th Ave SE near Barlow Trail has also been there forever. I've never eaten there but I remember that distinctive sign from my childhood.
Am I imagining things or were Swiss Chalets in the 80’s like actual swiss chalets. I seem to remember the decor being very swiss lodge and the waitress in swiss miss outfits. Can never tell if that was all a dream or not.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #985
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Am I imagining things or were Swiss Chalets in the 80’s like actual swiss chalets. I seem to remember the decor being very swiss lodge and the waitress in swiss miss outfits. Can never tell if that was all a dream or not.
You aren't.
The waitresses absolutely dressed that way.
And most of them had big pictures of the mountains. At least he one I went to did (Edmonton Trail and McKnight)

And the dessert menu where all the items were set against a pile of rocks (I think). I used to love the chocolate eclair.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #986
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
You aren't.
The waitresses absolutely dressed that way.
And most of them had big pictures of the mountains. At least he one I went to did (Edmonton Trail and McKnight)

And the dessert menu where all the items were set against a pile of rocks (I think). I used to love the chocolate eclair.
That is right! I used to go to the Macleod Trail one as a kid. Remember how much I enjoyed it. Now days I just get take out for my kids. I find the restaurants are now so sterile, almost cafeteria like. Totally pointless to dine in.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #987
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Like Amethyst, it's been a while since we've been, but only because the location is a little 'out of mind'... It's one of those places that we'll frequently drive by and say "we should go back", but then forget about when it comes time to plan dinner.

I remember the few times we've been were great with no complaints. I've only been in the summer and remember the SW exposure creating a nice, light-filled atmosphere, but I've actually never been in the place when it's dark out, like it will be on the 14th. I imagine all of the wood will make for a nice, warm environment.

Edit - Since we never seem to think about it at the time, I went ahead and booked a table at Avec for the 10th... That's probably too late for feedback for your V-Day decision, but I'll report back regardless
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #988
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Avec is still solid. The dinner atmosphere is much different than the lunch crowd
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #989
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

an interesting map of zones in the city where several restaurants of the same genre have clustered together for whatever reason:

http://calgaryherald.com/life/swerve...ew-of-the-city

look at that Chicken Corridor. delicious, also should probably be renamed Cardiac Arrest Avenue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #990
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
that freaky grinning buddha scared the crap out of me as a child, and still sort of does to this day. it has always reminded me of those trippy disney cartoons from the 1930's where inanimate objects would come to life and at least one of them is pure evil.

one day I'll gather the courage to order takeout from there, but until then I'll probably just keep driving on towards fried chicken boulevard.
You think that Buddha is scary...
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #991
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forget who was planning on trying that “dark” restaurant here and I am kind of interested how that went.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #992
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I forget who was planning on trying that “dark” restaurant here and I am kind of interested how that went.
I bought my wife GCs to that but we haven't used them yet. Will post when we go.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #993
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My friend wanted to go and I said I would go with her, but she hasn't organized it yet and I don't want to go badly enough to take charge of arrangements.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #994
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
haha, all of my favorite Chinese restaurants have accumulated significant infractions over the past year. I think the danger heightens your senses and makes the almond soo gai taste better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #995
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any recommendations for a place with good appy’s/bar food along the train line tonight? Given the weather I’m taking the train to the game and don’t want to stray too far from the line for our pregame food. Coming from the NW. We were thinking the unicorn but I think we can do way better than that.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #996
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
haha, all of my favorite Chinese restaurants have accumulated significant infractions over the past year. I think the danger heightens your senses and makes the almond soo gai taste better.
Never go to the city's restaurant health violations website. It'll ruin eating out.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #997
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Any recommendations for a place with good appy’s/bar food along the train line tonight? Given the weather I’m taking the train to the game and don’t want to stray too far from the line for our pregame food. Coming from the NW. We were thinking the unicorn but I think we can do way better than that.
I like Palamino for a brisket sandwich or a pulled pork not really an appy place though but beer selection and food are great
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #998
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Never go to the city's restaurant health violations website. It'll ruin eating out.
I'd be interested in checking on my favorite Viet place but I don't want to find a new go-to restaurant. That place basically has a license to print money. I was there for 10 minutes waiting to pick up my order and within that time they easily did about $300 or $400 in orders.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #999
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ended up going to the Wednedsay Room. Pretty decent, but definitely not what ones looking for pre Flames game. Would go back and try a full meal though.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #1000
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Blink on Saturday. Don't think we will return - just too "meh". That whole corridor along 8th has really been depopulated - Divino closed, so did a few other places, Murrieta's sucks...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business