Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #61
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The thing is, Canada is basically a nation made up of small outposts on the northern edges of human civilization. If you're not into that, Canada's not the place to be.
Thanked for this comment.

If I ever move from Calgary it will be to somewhere with truly better weather than here. Nowhere else in Canada is better enough to undertake the hassle.

Carlsbad, Melbourne, and Cadiz would be the top 3 contenders.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #62
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Thanked for this comment.

If I ever move from Calgary it will be to somewhere with truly better weather than here. Nowhere else in Canada is better enough to undertake the hassle.

Carlsbad, Melbourne, and Cadiz would be the top 3 contenders.
With Australia you're trading extreme cold for extreme heat, a conservative government on par with the UCP for incompetent ####ery, internet and phone plans that makes Robellus look competitive, and wildlife that wants to kill you. I think the only places that would make me pull the plug on Canada as a whole would be New Zealand and maybe Singapore
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #63
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
I love this city and this province. I've travelled all over the world, and this has always felt like home.

Unfortunately, it feels like many people would rather bolt, then work to get this province back to where we know it is capable of. I'm not talking about waiting for a turn in commodity prices and a return to the "Boom" times either.

We continue to have the youngest demographics in the country, are well educated, and Calgary is still considered one of the most livable cities in the world. I also truly believe we have the hardest working population in the country. (Roll up the sleeves types). I've weighed living in Victoria, Kelowna, Vancouver and TO and in all cases after extensive research have stayed put.

I do hate the whiplash between NDP and UCP. Would love to see a government right in between both parties.

I'm not discouraging anyone from moving, times are tough and if you need work, you have to do what you need to. Just hate to see this city where it is today.
We are not Red or Blue Provinces .... We are the United Provinces of Canada!!!
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #64
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
With Australia you're trading extreme cold for extreme heat, a conservative government on par with the UCP for incompetent ####ery, internet and phone plans that makes Robellus look competitive, and wildlife that wants to kill you. I think the only places that would make me pull the plug on Canada as a whole would be New Zealand and maybe Singapore
While I can’t argue with most of this, especially the incompetent conservative government, the killer wildlife is overblown. Yeah we’ve got some dangerous spiders, snakes, and jellyfish but unlike Canada don’t have to worry about bears, wolves, or cougars.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That’s a no go on Singapore. Unless you’re into no freedom of the press or free speech, a lack of LGBT rights, no personal privacy rights, corporeal punishment for children in schools etc.

It looks pretty though. And has a sweet F1 race. Not a place I’d want to live.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #66
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
I moved from Calgary to Salmon Arm five years ago. No knock on Calgary cause I loved it there too, but moving here is among the best choices I ever made.

Salmon Arm is about 40 minutes north of and about half the size of Vernon. Vernon is a bit drier and sunnier but the climate anywhere in the interior of BC is way different from Calgary. We get 4 distinct seasons. Summers are hot with regular mid 30s. Winter doesn’t really get going until Christmas and is usually over by late Feb to mid-March. Biggest culture shock was the lack of nightlife and good restaurants although that is changing and Kelowna and Kamloops are mid-size cities not far away. There are quite a few tourists in the summer. Most of these towns have had an older age demographic but the last few years have seen a ton of younger people moving here from bigger cities. Biggest upsides are affordable housing (compared to Calgary and Vancouver), great schools, recreation, weather, and sense of community. There is a also a much better jobs scene than people think. Salmon Arm has a strong manufacturing sector and roughly 80 tech companies (in a town of 20,000) and many of these companies are hiring.

Vernon does have a reputation as a bit of a rougher town and Maclean’s ranks it #44 in its most dangerous places to live (vs Kelowna #139 and Salmon Arm #188). https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most...s-places-2020/

For what it’s worth Salmon Arm was also ranked number 1 in BC and number 6 in all of Canada in Maclean’s 2019 ranking of 415 Canadian communities.
https://www.macleans.ca/best-communi...-ranking-tool/
Was looking at Kelowna but maybe I need to look at Salmon Arm.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:32 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

One factor thats getting overlooked is the size of a city.

Kelowna is a decent size at 150k residents in 2016.

Vernon is 50k.

Penticton is 33k.

Salmon Arm is 12k.

Kelowna is almost as big as Regina and is the 3rd largest city in BC. And unless you like ####ty highways with tons of snow, you will not want to be making dozens of trips each year from Penticton to Kelowna to do shopping, go to fancy restaurants, watch Jr hockey, see concerts etc.

Vernon is big enough and close enough it’s probably fine but has a bit of a bad rap for it’s crime.

Salmon arm is basically a small town in the middle of nowhere. (I’m aware it’s technically a city, I’m comparing lifestyles)

As a person who likes city living and amenities, the only places I could stomach actually living in the interior, until I retire, would be Kelowna and maybe Kamloops. And even then it’d be hard to downsize that much from a city like Calgary.

I’ve seen some of the comments on CP about how hard it is for city folk to move to Chestermere, Airdrie etc and how their city lives basically evaporate. Now imagine instead of being 10-20 mins from the city limits it’s an hour or more. If you’re moving to some of these places, you should be prepared for a major change in lifestyle.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-22-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #68
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Vernon is 50k.

Penticton is 33k.

Salmon Arm is 12k.

Kelowna is almost as big as Regina and is the 3rd largest city in BC. And unless you like ####ty highways with tons of snow, you will not want to be making dozens of trips each year from Penticton to Kelowna to do shopping, go to fancy restaurants, watch Jr hockey, see concerts etc.

Vernon is big enough and close enough it’s probably fine but has a bit of a bad rap for it’s crime.

Salmon arm is basically a small town in the middle of nowhere. (I’m aware it’s technically a city, I’m comparing lifestyles)

As a person who likes city living and amenities, the only places I could stomach actually living in the interior, until I retire, would be Kelowna and maybe Kamloops. And even then it’d be hard to downsize that much from a city like Calgary.

I’ve seen some of the comments on CP about how hard it is for city folk to move to Chestermere, Airdrie etc and how their city lives basically evaporate. Now imagine instead of being 10-20 mins from the city limits it’s an hour or more. If you’re moving to some of these places, you should be prepared for a major change in lifestyle.
The 97 from Penticton to Kelowna is not some ####ty highway and seldom has tons of snow, Penticton has the Vees junior hockey team and they play in the South Okanagan Events Center that normally has concerts coming through all year, and there are gorgeous wineries to go to for dinner.

Penticton shopping and nightlife are definitely slow, but you don't seem like you actually know what you're talking about.

Also, you're a big city sophisticate but snub your nose at Singapore?!

How many places have you actually lived apart from Calgary?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #69
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
While I can’t argue with most of this, especially the incompetent conservative government, the killer wildlife is overblown. Yeah we’ve got some dangerous spiders, snakes, and jellyfish but unlike Canada don’t have to worry about bears, wolves, or cougars.
Bears wolves and cougars can't hide in my shoes or under a toilet bowl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #70
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a no go on Singapore. Unless you’re into no freedom of the press or free speech, a lack of LGBT rights, no personal privacy rights, corporeal punishment for children in schools etc.

It looks pretty though. And has a sweet F1 race. Not a place I’d want to live.
I'm quite familiar with SE Asia and how authoritarian-lite governments are the norm. At this point I'd honestly take that over the UCP, at least the Asian governments aren't completely incompetent. Singapore is a nice draw because of the economic stability and the fact that English is the primary language. I would have put Hong Kong in that list too before China ruined it
Old 10-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #71
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The 97 from Penticton to Kelowna is not some ####ty highway and seldom has tons of snow, Penticton has the Vees junior hockey team and they play in the South Okanagan Events Center that normally has concerts coming through all year, and there are gorgeous wineries to go to for dinner.

Penticton shopping and nightlife are definitely slow, but you don't seem like you actually know what you're talking about.

Also, you're a big city sophisticate but snub your nose at Singapore?!

How many places have you actually lived apart from Calgary?
The highway is dangerous in the winter and is single lane much of the way.

The Vees are Jr A, Rockets are WHL. Kelowna barely gets any big name acts, Penticton gets none. Wineries are a dime a dozen out here, that doesn’t equate to many fine restaurants, certainly not at the level of Kelowna.

And yes, I want to live in a place that values freedom. Singapore is one of the worst countries in the world for freedom of the press.

But they’re ahead of China, so there’s that I guess.

You’re talking out of your ass and it’s showing. But go on, I’m enjoying it.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-22-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:53 AM   #72
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a born and raised Calgarian that still absolutely adores my hometown. In 2014 I moved to Abu Dhabi. I got a good job offer for way more money than I could make in Calgary, plus plenty of vacation time . Figured I would do it for maximum 5 years and go back with some good experience under my belt. I was single and my daughter was in university, all good!

Fast forward almost 7 years now, and I'm still here. I got married, managed to get the wife a Canadian resident card, but the situation back home just doesn't offer much opportunity. It's sad. The whole situation is a little disheartening, but the lifestyle in Abu Dhabi is pretty good so I make the best of it. I know I'll miss this place when I finally manage to leave! Compared to a lot of my ex-colleagues in Calgary, I'm lucky to still have a job.

Every person is a little different though. I commend those of you who are willing to stay and be the change you want to see, but I also can't blame those who'd rather find a better situation for themselves and their families.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #73
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Vees are Jr A, Rockets are WHL. Kelowna barely gets any big name acts, Penticton gets none. Wineries are a dime a dozen out here, that doesn’t equate to many fine restaurants, certainly not at the level of Kelowna.

And yes, I want to live in a place that values freedom. Singapore is one of the worst countries in the world for freedom of the press.

But they’re ahead of China, so there’s that I guess.

Ha, I've done that trip on that road many times in the winter. I also know the winter roads in Calgary. My family moved from Calgary to Penticton years ago and I've spent loads of time there visiting for extended periods. That road is not that bad, and Calgary roads are not that good. In distance, it's probably a bit further than a drive in from Airdrie to downtown, and the 97 is better than the 2 for most of the winter.

And of course neither place gets the biggest acts. They're both small towns! Kelowna has more stuff, but it's not like it's cosmopolitan. Same with the restaurant scene. It's all small town context. Small town is the featured life. It's a difference of degree, not of kind and not worth the hyperbole.

I will give you credit for living up to your handle though, Cecil. Truly coming across as the Springfield snob, looking down on the neighbouring towns for not living up.

I'll not even bother with your throwaway attack on China. You do you.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:35 AM   #74
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does Kelowna compare to Kamloops in terms of lifestyle, amenities etc?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #75
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love BC. We regularly go to Coldstream, Squamish, and Fernie. I could live in any of those places.
Fernie - lots of friends, good biking and skiing
Squamish - biking, close to Van and Whistler. In one week I can go mountain biking, kite surfing, sea kayaking, climbing and downhill skiing. Activities galore. Plus my wife has an office out there.

Coldstream - some of our closest friends moved there from here. They absolutely love it and would never move back. They live a 5 minute bike ride from the Kal lake trails and a 5 minute drive from the public beach. I love going there to visit. My son wants to move there. The lake is awesome. Lots of fishing near by. Biking. Skiing isn't far away. And an airport is close as well. Last year we went a few times to visit and we always have a blast. My friends keep sending us real estate listings. Same with our Fernie friends. If it wasn't for my son's school, we'd move now.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #76
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the oil industry booms, people flood into Alberta. When it crashes, people leave. Been happening since the 70s.

For my wife and I, Calgary is our home. It's where all of our friends and family live. Dozens of people who we have close ties to and always will. That social network is the most important and valued thing in our lives - far more important than the economy, the climate, or government. We're here for the long haul.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-23-2020 at 10:17 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
How does Kelowna compare to Kamloops in terms of lifestyle, amenities etc?
If you like laid back blue collar folk, hiking, biking and hot desert weather look no further than Kamloops. Best overall weather in Canada summer and winter. If you prefer lakes, beaches, wine tasting, and the arts then Kelowna.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-23-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #78
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vernon is 50k.

Penticton is 33k.

Salmon Arm is 12k.

Technically Kelowna is the 7th most populous city in BC according to this but most of the cities ahead of it are in the Metro Vancouver region.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itish_Columbia
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #79
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

I lived in Penticton for three years in the 90s. I had to drive to Kelowna all of the time for Court, in all seasons. Very rarely is snow a problem on Hwy 97. I never found it to be dangerous. There are some annoying single lane stretches, but traffic is not bad in the winter. I think that drive is one of the most scenic drives in all of Canada. I could usually get to Kelowna in 45 minutes, and Vancouver in 4 hours.

Penticton is a tourist town, and had many more fine restaurants for a town of 30,000 than you would expect. I still go back once or twice a year, and the explosion of new wineries with great restaurants attached is amazing. From Naramata to OK Falls, there is lots to try.

In the winter, it was kind of a ghost town, and overcast much of the time. Sometimes in the summer it was too damn hot. Overall, I think it was a great place to live, and I would consider retiring there or having a summer home there.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #80
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

My partner and I have started looking outside of Vancouver for opportunities for awhile. Calgary always comes up, but it would be hard for her to work there, plus the weather.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote