Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #121
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
That is ridiculously, completely untrue.
There is a reason Hartley is not coaching in the NHL. And the same reason Gulutzan won't be soon.
That is ridiculously, completely untrue. Hartley took two NHL franchises to the conference finals or better, and won the Jack Adams with another. The five year contract Hartley signed with the Latvian national team probably has more to do with him not being in the NHL than NHL teams not being interested.

GG on the other hand... AHL teams can keep him
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:15 AM   #122
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
That is ridiculously, completely untrue. Hartley took two NHL franchises to the conference finals or better, and won the Jack Adams with another. The five year contract Hartley signed with the Latvian national team probably has more to do with him not being in the NHL than NHL teams not being interested.

GG on the other hand... AHL teams can keep him
So remind me, which NHL team is Hartley coaching now?
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:35 AM   #123
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Gully "hey we outchanced them, gotta tighten up defensively".

Broken record meme.

Just go back to the farm is sasky and bale some hay or something.
Please don't tell me he is from Sask to boot...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:47 AM   #124
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im trying to remember the last time a Flames team rolled over like this? GG and his staff are horrible.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:55 AM   #125
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Same one as Scotty Bowman.

Please do better than this, what is your point?

The guy who fired him hired the guy who was an assistant coach on the team that he and his staff eliminated. Unceremoniously.

And who is the guy on the hot seat now, yes?

Last I will say on this due to the stupidity of the whole situation

Gulutzan is way worse than Hartley by so many measures
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #126
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same team Darryl Sutter is, they are both losers and so inferior to GG. Posters that say otherwise do not understand hockey. SAD!
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #127
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
lmao
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #128
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny to see people arguing over whether the problem with this team is the coaching or a lack of heart in the players. Can't it be both?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #129
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Funny to see people arguing over whether the problem with this team is the coaching or a lack of heart in the players. Can't it be both?
This same core had a "worse" year in the standings two years ago where they were far better in those problem areas. In fact they spent that whole season without Tkachuk rather than a couple weeks.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #130
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's possible but while it's clear coaching is a big problem, lack of heart is simply fan speculation. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes and the team is ravaged with injuries so there's plenty of reasons they are slumping to end the season. It's pretty crippling to have your top goal scorer basically playing at less than 50% for a while now and the loss of Tkachuk was crippling as well. This team simply doesn't have the depth to overcome multiple key players not able to play 100%. Players are human and maybe they just hit the wall with this coaching staff and in the back of their minds simply don't have confidence that this system is going to bring the results. I feel lack of heart is an overused term by fans as we simply have no idea what's really going on.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-25-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #131
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonger View Post
Please don't tell me he is from Sask to boot...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Just looked it up. He is Manitobian! Sasky is safe for another day.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #132
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's possible but while it's clear coaching is a big problem, lack of heart is simply fan speculation. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes and the team is ravaged with injuries so there's plenty of reasons they are slumping to end the season. It's pretty crippling to have your top goal scorer basically playing at less than 50% for a while now and the loss of Tkachuk was crippling as well. This team simply doesn't have the depth to overcome multiple key players not able to play 100%. Players are human and maybe they just hit the wall with this coaching staff and in the back of their minds simply don't have confidence that this system is going to bring the results. I feel lack of heart is an overused term by fans as we simply have no idea what's really going on.
Ravaged by injuries? No more than any other team in the NHL .
There has been enough media reporting that things are not right behind the seens.
If posters still think it's just a coaching change that needs to be done then they are in for a surprise next season. A coaching change only for next year will get this team to the playoffs but that's about it. At best this fragile bunch of "nice" players would win a game or 2 in the first round.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #133
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did we win the Corsi/Fenwick tho?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #134
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Gulutzan vs Hartley debate happening here is pretty funny. How can it even be a debate? Look at the resumes. Nobody will even remember who Gulutzan is in 5 years. I would be shocked if he ever gets another crack again.

The last couple weeks of hockey has been some of the lamest hockey I have seen since pre 04. One could argue we have seen worse results but I have never been so disappointed in a product as I have been recently. I am not certain I would be watching with the same sentiments if Bob was still behind the bench.

I will admit I am somewhat bias as the Vancouver Calgary "Line Brawl" clip showed up on my FB feed this morning. Man, I miss when this team had a backbone.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #135
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

So I just watched the highlights for this game....that Sharks shorthanded goal...hahaha that basically sums up the season.

So bad.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #136
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I am concerned, GG quit on the players, not the other way around.

He was too stubborn to abandon his system which was clearly not working, he continually played bottom line guys that were not capable of making a difference in crucial situations, and he never had his team play to their strengths.

Just a loser any way you look at it. His concentration on the x's and o's will never produce a winning hockey team. And I don't buy into the argument that he is a smart man either. His decisions on the ice prove otherwise.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #137
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wouldn't fire GG yet. Let the season finish. Only reason I say this is cause you completely embarrass GG firing him at this point (with so little time left) and although he deserves it (since December) its not exactly the way to attract other coaches. Wait till the 1st day the off season starts (day after the last game).
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #138
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I wouldn't fire GG yet. Let the season finish. Only reason I say this is cause you completely embarrass GG firing him at this point (with so little time left) and although he deserves it (since December) its not exactly the way to attract other coaches. Wait till the 1st day the off season starts (day after the last game).
As far as I am concerned, the Flames should have cut their losses 18 months ago.

The winning streak the Flames went on last season was just an anomaly, not a precursor of success as was our winning streak this season..
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #139
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I mean, the FLames HAVE to sign him right? If only to keep him away from their net. If he signs with SJ or any other west team we're doomed. Guys become the new Ribiero.
It cost SJ a 1st to sign him...anyone else can do it for free
Old 03-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #140
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I admire your optimism and I don't really have any issue with your assessment of those players but you're trying to sell me the success of BT on the acquisition of a bunch of bottom 6 forwards, depth d-men, a 35 year old goalie who was good for half a season while giving away loads of picks when HIS team has been hovering around 15th-27th in the league standings for 4 seasons.

I just personally need more than that to have any faith that the guy making the calls.

Don't you want to see more success than a 15th place overall finish?

SJ added Kane at the deadline and they have been on a huge run since, BT didn't make that deal? Is that not a strike against Brad?

Winnipeg added Stastny when this team needs a depth centre man? Another miss?

I just see other teams making tons of fairly significant astute adds to their teams supplementing areas of weakness and I see BT not really doing much other than cycling through a bunch of goalies and tinkering with the defence.

Maybe I am really off on this one.
Astute? We shall see...those teams spent 1sts on rentals. Flames certainly were not in that position.

One team is winning the cup, we will see how astute those moves were in a couple months.