Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #41
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames fans lack of patience. Unprecedented changing to the core of the team but somehow the slow start out of the gate is unacceptable to some.

Also it drives me nuts how people say they hate the way the team plays. I'd way rather they learn to play this way versus the river hockey they defaulted to against the Oilers last year in the playoffs. Regular season "best line in hockey" is fun, but getting spanked in the playoffs when the line disappears isn't.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:01 PM   #42
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Flames fans lack of patience. Unprecedented changing to the core of the team but somehow the slow start out of the gate is unacceptable to some.

Also it drives me nuts how people say they hate the way the team plays. I'd way rather they learn to play this way versus the river hockey they defaulted to against the Oilers last year in the playoffs. Regular season "best line in hockey" is fun, but getting spanked in the playoffs when the line disappears isn't.
LOL

give me a ####ing break. Lack patience hahha

I’m nearly 40 and have had like 3-4 memorable seasons in my life.

Lack patience.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #43
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I don’t know what else Phillips and Pelletier have to do to get legit NHL chances. Grow several inches and lbs? It’s frustrating and worrying.
Grow several inches, put on several pounds, age about 8 years apiece, lose about 1/4 of their skill, and win a Stanley Cup somewhere. Then they'd fit in!
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #44
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
LOL

Lack patience.
Wow my post sure triggered you huh? Doesn't seem very healthy.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #45
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL

Lack patience.
3-4?

We've had the '04 run and '16 I think was Hartley's Flying Circus. What are the other two?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #46
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Losing in round two against Edmonton I guess is a successful season for some.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #47
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
It is the vent your frustration thread TBF
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #48
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sheer inconsistency is so frustrating.

Some nights this looks like a team that can bring home the Cup without any problems.

Some nights this team struggles to beat the HAWKS.

And you NEVER know which team is going to show up until you are 10-20 minutes into the game.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
No not really it’s just that you’re wrong. Is there a fan base more patient? That’s the one thing Flames fans are actually good at. Being loud isn’t but they sure as #### are patient.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:17 PM   #50
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 37; while I was technically alive for the cup winning season, I wasn't watching hockey at 4.
I would like to see/participate in a cup winning celebrations in my lifetime. Based on the historically abysmal performance of this team over the last 30 years, I'm not super optimistic.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #51
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I just want more youth in the line-up. We’re the only team that hasn’t graduated any of our picks from 2019 onward. I’m tired of seeing Lucic in the top 6. Yeah he’s been getting some points but we’re not going far if he’s the opposite winger on a line with Huberdeau and Kadri. I don’t know what else Phillips and Pelletier have to do to get legit NHL chances. Grow several inches and lbs? It’s frustrating and worrying. What if Wolf gets wasted away in the minors? I’m genuinely starting to get scared that Coronato is gonna pull a Fox on us

I know this isn't to rent but, maybe we are lacking somebody to come in with a long-term vision so we could get a franchise player? Maybe the long-term vision gets influenced by ownership? My biggest rant would be that we didn't bring in a quality coach from the beginning when the guys were young. We really missed the boat and wasted a lot of valuable time with our coaching carousel. I remember when we first brought in BT and I was concerned that we didn't hire an experienced general manager, and in turn he didn't hire the right coaches for the team. I think had we had brought in the right combination of people we might not be where we are right now. It goes back to my original point, I think we need to hire somebody who has a long-term vision and can stick to it. I think that the way things are done now we tend to fill in a lot of holes season by season and sometimes the players don't fit as they should. We need to swing for the fences get a dynamic player and then build around that.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 01-12-2023 at 02:21 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:19 PM   #52
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I just want to be able to talk about my favourite team with other fans without them whining about the same things I’ve heard since I was 8 years old.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:19 PM   #53
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
3-4?

We've had the '04 run and '16 I think was Hartley's Flying Circus. What are the other two?
86 and 89
Old 01-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #54
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Maybe the long-term vision gets influenced by ownership?
Most likely. We've heard from a number of GMs that ownership's mandate is to make the playoffs and that means no prolonged rebuilds.

So picks are spent, money is given to UFAs, all the exciting stuff that satisfies a fan base in the moment but ultimately leads to what we've seen and what we have.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:21 PM   #55
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

fwiw I think there is the perception from ownership that the fanbase lacks patience. I suspect it's a reflection of Calgary's (perceived) culture as city in general. I wonder how the Library/Young Guns era scared ownership off doing a true rebuild (again now saying they did it write then because they didn't really, although Iginla and Regehr were parts of the most success the team's had since 89)
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:23 PM   #56
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm 37; while I was technically alive for the cup winning season, I wasn't watching hockey at 4.
I would like to see/participate in a cup winning celebrations in my lifetime. Based on the historically abysmal performance of this team over the last 30 years, I'm not super optimistic.
This is exactly where I'm at.
I've admittedly let the degree and depth that I follow the team ebb and flow with the tides of life, but yeah. One Cup in going on 43 years. That's getting pretty close to Leafs territory in the post Expansion era.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:23 PM   #57
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No not really it’s just that you’re wrong. Is there a fan base more patient? That’s the one thing Flames fans are actually good at. Being loud isn’t but they sure as #### are patient.
My post is only about this season. Things changed when the team swapped out its core last offseason. No team has done the same. It is a complete unknown how long it will take for everything to come together, if it even does.

I think it's coming around now, but goaltending has really let them down.

I've been a flames fan for as long as you have. If this was another year of Gadreau, Monahan, Gio and Tkachuk in the same boat I'd be angry. But they are all gone and this is a new core and team that all came together in one offseason. I never expected them to get out of the gates running.

I've made peace with the past seasons of the Flames and don't get stressed about it. I figure all you can do is laugh about some of the epic chokes. At the same time I'm interested to see what happens with this version.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:24 PM   #58
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This is actually a good idea ...

Venting thread may prove to be a solid release valve.

Hard to argue with some/most of the posts either. Personally I just don't get all that up or down as a rule. Helps with following this team.
I'm pretty even keel too. My downfall is reading CP. I tend to get worked up when I'm reading a pileup of negative comments.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:25 PM   #59
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's there to biatch about for this season beside the Flames coming in the middle of the pack for the draft pick? I'm actually hoping that they sink further down to the bottom 10 (top 10 draft position) to get some decent prospects for the future of this team. If they're gonna be a bubble team and they're not even in contention for the Cup, this is probably the best year to not do well in the overall standings. I still say the Flames have a good mix of talent in the lineup, even after losing Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Just hoping the Flames get a decent high draft position. The future looks pretty good from that point on. The team itself doesn't look that bad now on paper. They just need to gel more for certain members.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:27 PM   #60
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My post is only about this season. Things changed when the team swapped out its core last offseason. No team has done the same. It is a complete unknown how long it will take for everything to come together, if it even does.

I think it's coming around now, but goaltending has really let them down.

I've been a flames fan for as long as you have. If this was another year of Gadreau, Monahan, Gio and Tkachuk in the same boat I'd be angry. But they are all gone and this is a new core and team that all came together in one offseason. I never expected them to get out of the gates running.

I've made peace with the past seasons of the Flames and don't get stressed about it. I figure all you can do is laugh about some of the epic chokes. At the same time I'm interested to see what happens with this version.
I call BS
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary flames , frustration , opinions , problems , rant