Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #13541
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, you need a team that has a good player to send (probably a forward), a willingness to add picks/prospects, cap room, assuming Eichel is the bigger salary, and a tolerance for the injury/surgery risk.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #13542
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1405196445305782276
Old 06-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #13543
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I just don’t think Buffalo wants prospects. I think they want a name player.
This is my mindset as well. It's clear that they need more established NHL contributors on their roster that are still in their prime years. They have another 1st overall pick to use in July and taking on a handful of prospect and draft picks means they are going to be terrible for another few seasons or more and I would think that's going to be a hard sell in that market.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #13544
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
In the sense that San Jose would acquire him? I’d be fine if they mortgaged the future for Eichel when they already have Hertl and Couture.

They’re better off going for Wright or Bedard.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #13545
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not another Thornton to San Jose. More than 1 team knows the guy is available.

But he likely means an underwhelming return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #13546
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

I think the return will be awesome, but for a star player. It won’t be a franchise-level return because Buffalo has zero leverage whatsoever. I guess the only leverage they have is Eichel not having an NMC (yet).

I predict they’ll score a big return on Reinhart but not exactly what they wanted from Eichel.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #13547
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I also imagine they will do well but I understand anyone being weary or beat down by Buffalo being Buffalo.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #13548
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
In the sense that San Jose would acquire him? I’d be fine if they mortgaged the future for Eichel when they already have Hertl and Couture.

Sharks might be the worst team to go after Eichel. They have lower ranked prospects and probably the worst cap situation in the league. They have Hertl and Meier due for big raises and already don’t have the cap space to add Eichel and fill out their roster. Hertl and Meier would have to go back in deal but then you just have a very bad hockey team with Eichel. Makes 0 sense
Old 06-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #13549
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel us pre destined for the Pacific. Which makes it tougher yet still in a division with 2 expansions.

Flames better make some hay, because we are staring straight into the Shane Wright abyss if they don't make some changes.

And hey, I am absolutely all about the Shane Wright abyss. ImO he is going to be the great equalizer. Is it wrong to prefer Wright over McJesus, Draisaitl and Eichel? Because if it is, I don't want to be right....or Wright hahaha.

The more I dig into our division, the more and more I feel like re build is the answer. All the California teams are about to rise, two expansions who will likely both have been gifted better teams out the gate, and then we will be battling with the remaining Canadian teams for the cellar.

As you can see, I'm not all that optimistic about the next few years for the Flames, as things stand today.

Obviously Eichel isn't in the division just yet but I feel it's just a matter of time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #13550
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Eichel us pre destined for the Pacific. Which makes it tougher yet still in a division with 2 expansions.

Flames better make some hay, because we are staring straight into the Shane Wright abyss if they don't make some changes.

And hey, I am absolutely all about the Shane Wright abyss. ImO he is going to be the great equalizer. Is it wrong to prefer Wright over McJesus, Draisaitl and Eichel? Because if it is, I don't want to be right....or Wright hahaha.

The more I dig into our division, the more and more I feel like re build is the answer. All the California teams are about to rise, two expansions who will likely both have been gifted better teams out the gate, and then we will be battling with the remaining Canadian teams for the cellar.

As you can see, I'm not all that optimistic about the next few years for the Flames, as things stand today.

Obviously Eichel isn't in the division just yet but I feel it's just a matter of time.
The Flames aren't currently staring into the Wright abyss. If anything, that would be a positive for this team.

As it stands, if the Flames bring back the same team with another rotating cast of 4th line plugs like they usually do, we'll be right back where we always are - fighting to make the playoffs or getting bodied in the first round, drafting 14th overall.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #13551
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that SJ comment was just about the expected return to Buffalo. Who has a 2021 version of Sturm, Primeau and Stuart? And will Buffalo turn 2021 Stuart and Primeau into 2024 Kobasew and Ference?
Old 06-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #13552
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish the Flames were in contention for Wright as that's the best thing that could happen for the organization but the hiring of Darryl means the team will likely be drafting 12-20 over the next few seasons as he will ice a competitive team regardless of how mediocre the roster is.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #13553
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Trade Tkachuk for Eichel. Eichel sits for the whole season recovering from surgery. Flames either suck their way into a high draft pick then get Eichel back healthy next season, or fight their way to a playoff berth only to add Eichel and pricey UFAs to the roster (using the saved cap space from Eichel being on LTIR) before the playoffs start.

Flames come out of it with either Eichel and Wright for 2022-23, or with Eichel and a cup in 2022.

Win-win. :P
Old 06-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #13554
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

The return on these elite players is almost always underwhelming because unless you have the rare case of two teams willing to swap elite guys (ie Weber for Subban) it’s always a quantity for quality deal.

Can the people who think Eichel will bring back a king’s ransom cite some examples of comparable trades?

The Ducks deal I floated is a top-pairing RD, elite goalie prospect, and #3 OA pick. It also has the Ducks taking on $5 mil in salary. What are some examples of bigger returns for one player?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-16-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #13555
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless big salaries are being sent back to Buffalo, a lot of teams are out. To get Eichel you must have cap space, a high pick, and prospects. The Kings have two of the three. Unless they are sending Kopitar to Buffalo, the Kings are out. I'm glad to hear we aren't in the running because the risk with Eichel's spine is too concerning. Careers are short enough for players when they are 100% healthy, but taking on someone with a significant injury is way too risky. The disk replacement doesn't work, or he experiences complications, and he never plays again. Just a massive risk considering everything you have to give up to get the player in the first place.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #13556
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Finish dead last (tough) and there is still an 82% chance you don't pick first

I am better off buying lottery tickets than going to work?
Old 06-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #13557
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

If the lottery is worth millions and there are only 32 people in the draw, maybe.

False equivalencies are garbage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #13558
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Lol what a poor comparison. The Sharks are still better off tanking rather than trying to pretend to be something that they’re not.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #13559
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol what a poor comparison. The Sharks are still better off tanking rather than trying to pretend to be something that they’re not.
How do you suggest they "tank" they have a bunch of decent players with impossible to move contracts. They can pray for a big lottery win but it's unlikely they get either of those two players. Not really something to plan for. If they have a shot at Eichel they should take it, like any other team.

Last edited by dino7c; 06-16-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #13560
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1405190726644809728
Closed Thread