Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #6341
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hanifin + Pelletier + Dube for Robertson?
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #6342
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The other thing that I keep coming back to, when I look at the D depth, is that there is no guarantee that Tanev will still be the guy he was last year. Quite a bit of risk there, IMO.
I'm pretty sure Tanev would still be the same Tanev. I base it on his injured performance in the playoffs. He still seemed to do all the right things, and always be in position. The thing he seemed to be lacking was hand strength, in particular in lifting sticks and being hard on his own stick. Even if that remains an issue you mostly get the same player, that would need some help in tying players in front of the net.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #6343
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Stone? The guy who played 11 games last year? The guy the Sutter only used as an insurance policy?

I can’t believe some people want him playing 82 games
Want? Interesting way of putting it.

By that logic I can't believe people want Rooney, Lewis, and Ritchie playing 82. Hell, you want Ritchie on the top line, too? Alright. Seems crazy but I guess those must be your favorite players or something.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:17 AM   #6344
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Hanifin + Pelletier + Dube for Robertson?
1) would you do that if your were Dallas?

2) doubt the cap works - I imagine the reason he isn't already signed is that he wants at least $7M

I know Hanifin + Dube = $7M (roughly), but that's moving 2 bodies out and one in - you need to add another player to the equation for cap
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:32 AM   #6345
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

2) doubt the cap works - I imagine the reason he isn't already signed is that he wants at least $7M

I know Hanifin + Dube = $7M (roughly), but that's moving 2 bodies out and one in - you need to add another player to the equation for cap
If Robertson wanted $7M on a long term deal, he'd be signed already.

The only way that $7M sneaks into the picture is on a shorter term deal.

If Dallas wants him on a long term deal, the number likely starts with a $9M.

If Dallas decided they needed to move him, they would want a premium very young player still on his ELC as the starting point. Because if you are going to move a young star, you may as well get back some cap savings to boot.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #6346
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Want? Interesting way of putting it.

By that logic I can't believe people want Rooney, Lewis, and Ritchie playing 82. Hell, you want Ritchie on the top line, too? Alright. Seems crazy but I guess those must be your favorite players or something.

Maybe I missed your point? I thought you were advocating to trade Hanifin when you were comparing Hanifin/Weegar and Gudbranson/Stone?

Fact is Stone hasn’t been a regular NHL player for 4 seasons so penciling him in as a top 6 D this season is a bizarre take when the Flames are clearly going all in.

Not sure what Ritchie has to do with anything? He wasn’t a full time player last season and likely won’t be this season. I haven’t read anybody advocating that he play on the top line?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #6347
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Maybe I missed your point? I thought you were advocating to trade Hanifin when you were comparing Hanifin/Weegar and Gudbranson/Stone?

Fact is Stone hasn’t been a regular NHL player for 4 seasons so penciling him in as a top 6 D this season is a bizarre take when the Flames are clearly going all in.

Not sure what Ritchie has to do with anything? He wasn’t a full time player last season and likely won’t be this season. I haven’t read anybody advocating that he play on the top line?
I'm saying you could trade Hanifin (for reasons mentioned a bunch of times: high value, quality player, quality players ahead of him) for scoring help up front. I'm not advocating for anything. I also suggested you could trade another defenseman but you're unlikely to get as good of a player back so the conversation just naturally keeps defaulting to Hanifin. It's not like I want him gone.

That doesn't mean I "want" Stone playing 82 games any more than it means people who want to stand pat want Rooney, Lewis, or Ritchie playing 82 games. Like, sure, if we don't acquire another winger it's like 2-4 of Lucic, Rooney, Lewis, or Ritchie get about 82 games in. Does that mean everyone wants that? Or that they just want to keep the defensive strength where it is and accept those guys getting a lot of games in as the trade off?

The Ritchie comment about the top line is due to him ending up there for a not-insignificant amount of time last time a spot was up for grabs (20-21). I doubt he ends up there again, I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous for anyone to suggest that trading a defenseman for a scoring forward is because someone "wants" Stone to play 82 games. Let's be real.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #6348
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572650163034034176

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572650733278986240

Last edited by sureLoss; 09-21-2022 at 12:16 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #6349
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2022/2023 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm saying you could trade Hanifin (for reasons mentioned a bunch of times: high value, quality player, quality players ahead of him) for scoring help up front. I'm not advocating for anything. I also suggested you could trade another defenseman but you're unlikely to get as good of a player back so the conversation just naturally keeps defaulting to Hanifin. It's not like I want him gone.

That doesn't mean I "want" Stone playing 82 games any more than it means people who want to stand pat want Rooney, Lewis, or Ritchie playing 82 games. Like, sure, if we don't acquire another winger it's like 2-4 of Lucic, Rooney, Lewis, or Ritchie get about 82 games in. Does that mean everyone wants that? Or that they just want to keep the defensive strength where it is and accept those guys getting a lot of games in as the trade off?

The Ritchie comment about the top line is due to him ending up there for a not-insignificant amount of time last time a spot was up for grabs (20-21). I doubt he ends up there again, I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous for anyone to suggest that trading a defenseman for a scoring forward is because someone "wants" Stone to play 82 games. Let's be real.

Okay fair enough. The difference I’m seeing between your points is that if you do trade Hanifin you are giving a spot in top 6 D to one one of Stone, Mackey, or Valimaki.

Mackey and Valimaki have never been and statistically likely will never be full time NHL players. Stone hasn’t been anything more than a 7th defenseman in 4 seasons.

Rooney, Lewis, and Lucic were all somewhat successful as full time 4th line players last season. Ritchie was a 13th forward. You can disagree about having their skillsets in the lineup or whatever, but Sutter clearly has a type for his 4th line.

When Treliving specifically stated that he wanted to improve the defense this off season I think it’s extremely unlikely that he would pivot right before the season starts and erase all the work he did improving the blueline.

When the goal is to compete for a Stanley cup why would he enter the season with any of Stone, Mackey, or Valimaki on the roster as anything more than a warm body as per the reasons above?

Also in a Sutter system the 6th defenseman will likely be leaned on more than the 12th forward. Just looking at last season there’s likely a 5-6 minute difference per game between the 2 players.

Last edited by bax; 09-21-2022 at 01:25 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #6350
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it somewhat inappropriate when players in the beginning of their careers demand trades to play for contenders. Chychrun was what, 22 or 23 when he decided he was too good to play for a struggling team?

Do your time then leave as a free agent. You'll likely get traded before your last season anyway if you tell them you plan to become a free agent.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #6351
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Even Sutter said when asked why they lost, that we got beat by the best player in the world. That was his assessment.

Hmmmm, we did not have an answer for the Oilers top line for sure, loss of Tanev hurt, Sutter leaving Markstrom in during for the Oilers low glove goal fest did not help, not hanging onto leads, penalties early in the series.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #6352
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I find it somewhat inappropriate when players in the beginning of their careers demand trades to play for contenders. Chychrun was what, 22 or 23 when he decided he was too good to play for a struggling team?

Do your time then leave as a free agent. You'll likely get traded before your last season anyway if you tell them you plan to become a free agent.
Normally I would agree, but Arizona isn't a "struggling" team. They're a circus, and they've been like that for a long time.
Other struggling teams (Buffalo, Ottawa etc...) have made honest attempts at being competitive, but the Coyotes just keep resetting the clock, sending out players and taking in cap hits in exchange for draft capital. I don't know if the organization is just banking on getting a McDavid in the draft, before honestly trying to improve, but it's unfair to ask players (new, or tenured) to waste significant portions of their relatively short careers toiling away for an organization that seemingly doesn't give a #### about being competitive.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #6353
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Totally agree with you, just spitballing some ideas/what it would take to have the cap space for it to happen too
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #6354
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It's in the Coyotes' best interests anyway to move Chychrun to get pieces to supplement the new core they're attempting to build around Cooley, Guenther, and Keller.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #6355
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's in the Coyotes' best interests anyway to move Chychrun to get pieces to supplement the new core they're attempting to build around Cooley, Guenther, and Keller.
... sounds like more draft picks
Old 09-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #6356
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Coyotes have never drafted consistently as high as they should've during their rebuilding process over the last decade. They're on the right path now.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #6357
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hate to mention this because there are so many against it. Is there a better team to potential negotiate with than PHI right now with Ellis put all year and potentially done for his career.

Hanifin + draft pick for Konecny + Brink
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:56 PM   #6358
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin isn't going anywhere especially with Kylington not in the lineup now. Now you got 2 of Valamaki, Stone, Meloche, and Mackey in the top 6 taking regular shifts.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #6359
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Hate to mention this because there are so many against it. Is there a better team to potential negotiate with than PHI right now with Ellis put all year and potentially done for his career.

Hanifin + draft pick for Konecny + Brink
I'd do it depending on how camp goes with Valimaki. He is reported to be in excellent shape and if he impresses enough that waivers are a concern, decisions may have to me made.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #6360
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

The Coyotes asked him if he wanted to be traded or go through a rebuild, he said he'd like to be traded, doesn't read like he demanded anything.