Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #321
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah I don't know who keeps saying this crap...starwars OT fanboys?

go to disneyland or world...its packed. I keep hearing its a ghost town, I franking wish
It was slow at first. And Galaxy Edge didn't do as well as anticipated at opening...but it looks like that was just because the Rise of the Resistance ride hadn't opened. People weren't going to spend the money to go for only half of the experience.

But now that the ride has opened it's been madness from what I've read. I guess they have lines of people at 6:00AM every morning to try and get their "Launch Pass" for Galaxy Edge since you need to have a scheduled time to get in there.

Biggest issue with these Star Wars reboots is that the OT Fanboys couldn't handle TLJ (which IMO is still a good movie) and it derailed the whole thing due to how toxic that fan base is. Disney also made a mistake by trying to pander to them so hard. Even though I enjoyed TROS some stuff like deleting all Rose's scenes was a bad call IMO.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-08-2020 at 09:03 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #322
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It was slow at first. And Galaxy Edge didn't do as well as anticipated at opening...but it looks like that was just because the Rise of the Resistance ride hadn't opened. People weren't going to spend the money to go for only half of the experience.

But now that the ride has opened it's been madness from what I've read. I guess they have lines of people at 6:00AM every morning to try and get their "Launch Pass" for Galaxy Edge since you need to have a scheduled time to get in there.

Biggest issue with these Star Wars reboots is that the OT Fanboys couldn't handle TLJ (which IMO is still a good movie) and it derailed the whole thing due to how toxic that fan base is. Disney also made a mistake by trying to pander to them so hard. Even though I enjoyed TROS some stuff like deleting all Rose's scenes was a bad call IMO.
Why? Heres my problem: If you want to have a good character then make her a good character.

She was totally useless, as we can see since she was effectively edited out of the entire movie and absolutely nothing changed.

Really, regardless of Gender or Ethnicity they were all pretty bad characters.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #323
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You sure like to push this narrative. TLJ was not a good movie. The BIGGEST problem is there was no plan followed for a trilogy. It's blatantly obvious. It's been said again and again. It was one movie setting stuff up, another throwing that out, and the third trying to salvage what they could of a story. This is an example of how not to make a coherent story. It has nothing to do with "fanboys".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #324
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You sure like to push this narrative. TLJ was not a good movie. The BIGGEST problem is there was no plan followed for a trilogy. It's blatantly obvious. It's been said again and again. It was one movie setting stuff up, another throwing that out, and the third trying to salvage what they could of a story. This is an example of how not to make a coherent story. It has nothing to do with "fanboys".
First of all, you are correct. Individual films aside the entire Trilogy Arc was a hot steaming mess for a veritable cornucopia of reasons.

Secondly you are incorrect, I think 'Star Wars fanboys are unhinged lunatics' is still an entirely fair statement. Those people exist. They're not the whole problem but they're part of it.

And finally, if you think about it differently Disney stumbled ass-backwards into proper racial diversity.

"Hey, the white characters all sucked too!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #325
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now we're ruining the Box Office thread with Star Wars talk!

Goddammit Fuzz!

Old 01-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #326
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not pushing a narrative it's the truth.

Based on box office success and critical reviews TLJ was a good movie.

The most vocal people that had such hatred of TLJ were the people that grew up with and were young during the Original Trilogy aka the "OT Fanboys".

And I don't even think their criticism is unfair - I'm just not sure there was going to be a path that pleased this base no matter what. Any type of conflict in the new trilogy was going to do something that soured the ending of the Original Trilogy - and that was always going to make those fans angry.

I'm personally a fan of the trilogy. I liked TFA, I liked TLJ, and I like TROS. I'm also only 31 years old, so the first star wars movie I saw was the Phantom Menace, then the OT, so I have a different perspective.

Personally I think that there are pretty consistent character arcs across all three movies. What is really inconsistent is the tone of the three movies just since JJ and Rian have very different tones in how they tell a story (Rian being slower and more character driven, JJ being more fast paced and set piece driven). I also think TROS could have been a much tighter story, but since Disney was over-rotating after the TLJ feedback it tried to slam in every piece of fan service it could.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-08-2020 at 10:44 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #327
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's part of the truth. There are also a lot of people who don't like the movie because it's poorly constructed, has terrible attempts at humour and is basically a 2 hour spinning of wheels for most of the characters.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #328
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So has anyone seen CATS yet?
I have, it was kinda strange but not nearly the psychedelic trip I've seen some reviewers purport it as. Definitely not very good although I liked the music.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #329
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And now we're ruining the Box Office thread with Star Wars talk!

Goddammit Fuzz!
I didn't start this! Anyway, ya, wrong thread.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #330
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I have, it was kinda strange but not nearly the psychedelic trip I've seen some reviewers purport it as. Definitely not very good although I liked the music.
How many times have you done psychedelics?
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #331
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not pushing a narrative it's the truth.

Based on box office success and critical reviews TLJ was a good movie.

The most vocal people that had such hatred of TLJ were the people that grew up with and were young during the Original Trilogy aka the "OT Fanboys".

And I don't even think their criticism is unfair - I'm just not sure there was going to be a path that pleased this base no matter what. Any type of conflict in the new trilogy was going to do something that soured the ending of the Original Trilogy - and that was always going to make those fans angry.

I'm personally a fan of the trilogy. I liked TFA, I liked TLJ, and I like TROS. I'm also only 31 years old, so the first star wars movie I saw was the Phantom Menace, then the OT, so I have a different perspective.

Personally I think that there are pretty consistent character arcs across all three movies. What is really inconsistent is the tone of the three movies just since JJ and Rian have very different tones in how they tell a story (Rian being slower and more character driven, JJ being more fast paced and set piece driven). I also think TROS could have been a much tighter story, but since Disney was over-rotating after the TLJ feedback it tried to slam in every piece of fan service it could.
I feel inclined to chime in here because I have vocally maintained that Box Office success does not correlate to a good product.

People spend lots of money on stupid crap all the time, the fact that stupid crap makes lots of money doesnt not make that crap any less stupid or crappy.

And frankly, I think over the past half decade we can safely dispense with the opinions of 'critics.' Once those opinions became up for sale they became irrelevant.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #332
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Transformers movies made billions.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #333
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I dont think we're talking about the same thing.

He was asking about the movie 'Cats' not the time you triple-dosed on Acid and hit up the Kensington Cat Cafe.

Very different things.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #334
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, just from the trailers, it looked like a furry's wet dream. I can't imagine how strange it would be on psychedelics.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #335
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Biggest issue is they haven't caught on with kids. None of my kids or their friends at school have any interest in Star Wars. They only went to the first two reboots because I dragged them there. Never ask to watch them on Netflix. Same with my friends and their kids, except the one guy who's a Star Wars nut and admits he has pushed Star Wars toys, etc. on his kid from day one because he wants him to share his fandom.

Contrast that with Marvel, which most kids go bananas over. They watch and re-watch the movies, play the videogames, dress up for Halloween, etc. I don't think I've seen a single kid in a Star Wars costume come to our door at Halloween.

Star Wars has become an adult franchise. A friend commented the other day that with the median Star Wars fan being a 32 year old, they may as well have made the reboots R rated.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #336
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Biggest issue is they haven't caught on with kids. None of my kids or their friends at school have any interest in Star Wars. They only went to the first two reboots because I dragged them there. Never ask to watch them on Netflix. Same with my friends and their kids, except the one guy who's a Star Wars nut and admits he has pushed Star Wars toys, etc. on his kid from day one because he wants him to share his fandom.

Contrast that with Marvel, which most kids go bananas over. They watch and re-watch the movies, play the videogames, dress up for Halloween, etc. I don't think I've seen a single kid in a Star Wars costume come to our door at Halloween.

Star Wars has become an adult franchise. A friend commented the other day that with the median Star Wars fan being a 32 year old, they may as well have made the reboots R rated.

They did. NSFL
NSFW!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #337
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At this point Star Wars is parents trying hard to get their kids into Star Wars, kids who don't have the heart to tell their parents they don't like Star Wars, and people who are fans of being Star Wars fans.

The Mandalorian shows there's still life there, but they're probably to "eeeeeee BABY YODA" that #### to death too.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #338
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I mean, just from the trailers, it looked like a furry's wet dream. I can't imagine how strange it would be on psychedelics.
Yeah...hands up if you want to spend two hours in a darkened room with that demographic....

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #339
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's exactly this. Which has to make Disney a little nervous with the billions they are pouring into Star Wars theme park attractions, hotels etc.

Although it is the adults that have money so I guess there's that. They will drag their kids to Disney World for it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #340
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
With very little animated competition and awards season keeping it relevant, I think Frozen 2 could leg it to $500M.

Jumanji 2 has no shot at $300M at this point though. Too far away, and it’s got maybe one more good weekend in it this week before Dolittle takes its audience on the 17th.
Early pick for bomb of the year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: