Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #1101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Annoying the vandal couldn't have been taken down.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/80-per-ce...ting-1.6000429

80 per cent of Peace Bridge side panels shattered, Calgary police investigating

Police say witnesses reported the vandalism as being done by a man in his 40s who used a hammer, rebar and bricks to smash the glass. He reportedly walked across the bridge starting on the southwest side and pushing a shopping cart with him.
It turns out that publicizing how costly vandalism is and putting up signs imploring people not to do it has the opposite effect to what officials hoped.

Why do we have to pretend that people only do bad things because they’re ignorant and misguided, and that education will correct their behaviour? Why can’t we recognize deliberate, malicious, anti-social behaviour for what is?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-25-2022 at 09:42 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #1102
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode over it this morning and fortunately it's only the lower panes they broke, not the large overhead ones.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #1103
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I rode over it this morning and fortunately it's only the lower panes they broke, not the large overhead ones.
What would the bridge look like without glass or even with the side glass removed?

The night shots wouldn’t be as cool but I think during the day would still look good
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #1104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The glass is not totally transparent anyway, so maybe they could get away with polycarbonate, should be less breakable.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #1105
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transparent aluminum!
Old 07-25-2022, 01:27 PM   #1106
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The glass is not totally transparent anyway, so maybe they could get away with polycarbonate, should be less breakable.
They should just leave the glass out of the railings. It's much harder to push the idiots standing in the middle bike lane off into the river with the glass in.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #1107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They should just leave the glass out of the railings. It's much harder to push the idiots standing in the middle bike lane off into the river with the glass in.
They should have little trap doors in the floor like Jabba's palace that open up so pedestrians and cyclists have to either memorize the sequence or just hope its not random.

"Okay kids, lets rope up so we can cross the river and get to the other side and not lose Grandma again. This is like grim 'Oregon Trail' nonsense...."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #1108
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't read this thread for a while so perhaps it's in here already, but here goes...

What's with all the commercials that just show the celebrity/athlete making the ad, or screwing up the ad? I don't want to see Austen Matthews slowly moving across the screen while getting make up put on, or some lousy outtakes by another athlete. Don't they have enough good things to say about their product? Did they realize at the end of filming everything sucked so they needed to do something different? Did they blow their budget on the athlete and couldn't afford production? Did the athlete just take the money and can't bear to say anything good about the product?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #1109
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gear grinder is with Apple and their "updates" that basically cripple your old tech. My watch was fine, now it's updated, and the battery is dead by 4pm. Completely ridiculous.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #1110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
My gear grinder is with Apple and their "updates" that basically cripple your old tech. My watch was fine, now it's updated, and the battery is dead by 4pm. Completely ridiculous.
That is 'the stock could use a bump time for a new watch' tactic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #1111
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That is 'the stock could use a bump time for a new watch' tactic.
I think I'm going back to my actual nice watches anyway. Do I need an alert for every email/text? No. Do I need to be told that I should stand up or track my exercise? Also no.

I really just care about the watch aspect. I got mine for free, so I'm not really out anything, but it's just irritating that the main function is so bad now.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #1112
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I'm going back to my actual nice watches anyway. Do I need an alert for every email/text? No. Do I need to be told that I should stand up or track my exercise? Also no.

I really just care about the watch aspect. I got mine for free, so I'm not really out anything, but it's just irritating that the main function is so bad now.
Honestly, I had a Fitbit and I loved it and then it cratered. But I liked it so much that I decided I'd go out and get a nice Google watch (because Apple is evil garbage) and it was...okay.

I ended up giving it away because the functionality was too much. Too many alerts, the battery dies way too quickly and it just sucked.

So I went and got another Fitbit. Its great. Just the right amount of alerts, its small and light and you can customize the watch-face which is neat and you only have to charge it around once a week.

Simple. Perfect.

I am one of those guys that has always wanted a nice watch...but I'd never wear it so whats the point?

Old 07-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #1113
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I don't get wearing watches anymore at all, I can pull out my phone and check it if I want to know the time or read my notifications.. Every watch I've bought in the last decade is worn for a month or two at most, then put in a drawer when the shiny wears off.

I guess it's faster to check your wrist if you are the kind of person who can't bear to be cut off from irrelevant interruptions and random stimuli. The kind of people who pick up a call from an unknown number or obsessively check how their investments are doing multiple times a day. THEM PEOPLE.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #1114
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I don't get wearing watches anymore at all, I can pull out my phone and check it if I want to know the time or read my notifications.. Every watch I've bought in the last decade is worn for a month or two at most, then put in a drawer when the shiny wears off.

I guess it's faster to check your wrist if you are the kind of person who can't bear to be cut off from irrelevant interruptions and random stimuli. The kind of people who pick up a call from an unknown number or obsessively check how their investments are doing multiple times a day. THEM PEOPLE.
Yeah I was totally this guy forever. Now I have three watches I really like that I rotate through depending on what I'm up to. Gshock for rough and tumble stuff, a steel bracelet dive watch and a leather strap field watch.

Checking the time is handy, but as you say, your phone isn't much more difficult to look at, plus there are clocks everywhere, anyway. Car dash, stove, microwave, computer screen, etc.

Watches are really just functional jewelry. Then you have the engineering that goes into them, the craftsmanship, the different specialties each brand and style brings to the table. It's a fun and accessible thing to get into, plus, since I'm not into any other type of jewelry, they're neat from the perspective of handing something down through the generations if that's appealing.

Not being into them is totally understandable, too, of course. I dgaf about fine China, diamonds, or most things in that vein, but I do enjoy my somewhat recent interest in watches.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #1115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conveniently they are rumored to be releasing a new, updated watch! With more watchyness. Coming soon, for more, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #1116
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I am one of those guys that has always wanted a nice watch...but I'd never wear it so whats the point?
‘cause jeans, golf shirt and fitness tracker seem to be pushing the business casual limits, but Jeans, golf shirt and Tag might as well be a suit and tie these days… at least that’s what I’m telling myself.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:47 PM   #1117
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valbella's anti-LGBTQ owner, Jeff von Rotz, RGMMFG. Now I have to find a new favourite butcher.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9017978/t...ology-support/
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #1118
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Valbella's anti-LGBTQ owner, Jeff von Rotz, RGMMFG. Now I have to find a new favourite butcher.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9017978/t...ology-support/
That guy cratered his business with that. It seems like such a horrible way to say no, that makes me wonder if it's not a disgruntled employee or something like that. No business owner could be that dumb, right? But, there are terrible people all over.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #1119
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
That guy cratered his business with that. It seems like such a horrible way to say no, that makes me wonder if it's not a disgruntled employee or something like that. No business owner could be that dumb, right? But, there are terrible people all over.
Probably was just content in his little right-wing extremist bubble and somewhat ignorant of how far out of the norm his views had become. What a total tool.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:02 PM   #1120
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jeff and his sister, took over the business from their parents -- who owned it for decades in Canmore. Chantal, wrote an apology and said that he's no longer with them...

https://www.rmotoday.com/canmore/loc...pology-5627427

Family pic, and background.
https://www.rmotoday.com/amp/local-n...8UKZC_xOk3qaXM
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote