Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:21 AM   #4041
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A while back I made a comment that I finally found a co-worker to talk hockey with but found out he was a no good Oiler fan. Well I have a meeting with him tomorrow so it is amazing timing the Flames are ahead in the standings!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #4042
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Since expansion, a goalie has played at least 70 games in a season 83 times.

Of those 83...
  • 4 won the Cup (Parent 1974, Fuhr 1988, and Brodeur 2000 & 2003)
  • 1 lost in the Final (Brodeur 2001)
  • 2 lost in the Conference Final (Hasek 1998 & Nabokov 2010)
  • 16 lost in the second round of the playoffs
  • 35 lost in the first round of the playoffs
  • 25 missed the playoffs entirely

Talbot is on pace for 74 games played.
That's a pretty high rate of success isnt it?

If you compared it to all the seasons that a goalie played less than 70 games, those other goalies probably made each round of the playoffs less often than these 83 cases.

I mean playoffs 70% of the time. It is probably 60% maybe for all the other seasons of goalies playing less.

What's the odds for a goalie that played less than 70 games to make the finals? I guess maybe 5ish%?

Last edited by Oil Stain; 03-13-2017 at 03:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 AM   #4043
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I honestly think Draisaitl is the most overrated player on the Oilers. He's been atrocious in the last stretch according to Oils fans and that too while playing with Mcdavid. He did this disappearing act last year too after the all star break but most of us thought it was Halls fault. Even Connor freaking Mcdavid is having trouble dragging around Draisaitls post all-star corpse. Seems like Draisaitl isn't that young future Kopitar #1 centre we have all been hearing about.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #4044
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just like it's far too early to be writing off Sam Bennett, Draisaitl is still young, and has plenty of time to find consistency.
The oilers are no good, but it's pretty silly to be trashing Draisaitl when Sam Bennett, picked one spot after, has been just as inconsistent.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #4045
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

If you compared it to all the seasons that a goalie played less than 70 games, those other goalies probably made each round of the playoffs less often than these 83 cases.

I mean playoffs 70% of the time. It is probably 60% maybe for all the other seasons of goalies playing less.

What's the odds for a goalie that played less than 70 games to make the finals? I guess maybe 5ish%?
It's kind of a self selecting stats as good goaltenders play far more games than average. So it's very unlikely you'd ever have an average or below average goalie play 70 games. So I'm not sure what kind of meaning can be taken out of it.

I think what you'd need to do is look at high volume goalies and compare their high volume seasons to their lower volume ones and see if their is any correlation between rest and success.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #4046
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
It's a pretty high rate of making the playoffs. But those teams went 23-35 in the first round, 7-16 in the second round, which are both pretty terrible. Looks as if the burnout factor is a real problem.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #4047
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It's kind of a self selecting stats as good goaltenders play far more games than average. So it's very unlikely you'd ever have an average or below average goalie play 70 games. So I'm not sure what kind of meaning can be taken out of it...
It shows that success in the modern NHL is largely dependent on managing the workload for a team's goalies. The position and the game has changed so much in just the past decade that Stanley Cup winning goaltenders by and large don't play more than 60-65 games in a season at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #4048
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
No matter, in whether Estrada doesn't recall that far back...

As speaking to the comparison, Cam Talbot doesn't hold a Flame to Miika Kiprusoff.

Not now, not ever.
Oh I recall the Wings series as Kipper was the only Flame to show up. After that series he wasn't that good though as he was probably the goat in the Sharks series and was outplayed by Khabibulan vs the Hawks. I expect as he got older the 70 game regular seasons started to take their toll.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #4049
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This was a post on HFboards recently when poked that the Flames were now currently above the Oilers in the standings:

it took a record 9-game win streak and a 14-2-1 record but you finally got your revenge!

season ain't over yet though...

The Flames aren't better than the Oilers, they're just more successful lately.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #4050
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers fans seem to feel the Flames are streakier than the Oilers because they have gone on two long winning streaks, therefore the Oilers are better because they are more consistent. At the end of the day you are what your record says you are.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #4051
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Let's not forget this is the same organization that went whining like crying children to the flames, rogers and the NHL when the fan 960 made fun of them for giving up a 10 spot a few years ago. Or was it 11?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Fan960 also got the oilers management riled up as they complained to the nhl when fan960 called themselves the official alberta broadcast station of the Carolina Hurricanes.
They are so easy, they're like the annoying little brother that runs to mommy every time you ruffle his hair.

They just have the mentality "We're the Oilers!! You cant do this to us!! We're telling!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #4052
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love the smell of panic from the North, it smells like Strawberry's.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #4053
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love the smell of entitlement in the morning.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #4054
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Connor McDavid Powers the Oilers to a 4-1 Loss to the Montreal Canadiens

While opposition linemate Paul Byron had two goals, all eyes were on Connor McDavid as he powered the Oilers to a 4-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens on Sunday night. Oilers' Coach, Todd McLellan, was profuse in his discussion of the generational talent, who posted no points and paced his team with a -3 rating, following the game. "I don't want to take anything away from our hockey-playing robot, but the Canadiens really showed that there are other teams in the NHL tonight," said McLellan. As of this morning the Oilers' team bus was seen parked outside an area Golftown, as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Adam Larsson stood nearby, transfixed with their faces pressed against the windows.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #4055
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
...The Flames aren't better than the Oilers, they're just more successful lately.
Wrong. The Flames are deeper at every position than the Oilers, and it has been obvious for a couple months now.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #4056
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

This was one of my favourite post from the HFOilers PGT last night:

Quote:
"...It wouldn't surprise me if they miss the playoffs. And it would be even worse if McDavid loses the Art Ross or doesn't win the Hart."
So typically Edmonton to set more weight on McDavid's individual achievements than on team success.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-13-2017 at 10:03 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #4057
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
Connor McDavid Powers the Oilers to a 4-1 Loss to the Montreal Canadiens

While opposition linemate Paul Byron had two goals, all eyes were on Connor McDavid as he powered the Oilers to a 4-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens on Sunday night. Oilers' Coach, Todd McLellan, was profuse in his discussion of the generational talent, who posted no points and paced his team with a -3 rating, following the game. "I don't want to take anything away from our hockey-playing robot, but the Canadiens really showed that there are other teams in the NHL tonight," said McLellan. As of this morning the Oilers' team bus was seen parked outside an area Golftown, as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Adam Larsson stood nearby, transfixed with their faces pressed against the windows.

LOL. That's how all Oilers losses should be written up in this thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #4058
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
LOL. That's how all Oilers losses should be written up in this thread!
All right, I'll give it a go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThisIsAnOutrage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #4059
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Wrong. The Flames are deeper at every position than the Oilers, and it has been obvious for a couple months now.
Friedman this morning made the following comments (paraphrased), essentially saying as much:

(Talking generally about the Flames):Calgary is just really, really deep, and it is really starting to show.

(Talking generally about Edmonton): Edmonton needs more than just McDavid, and they really need secondary scoring.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #4060
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Friedman this morning made the following comments (paraphrased), essentially saying as much:

(Talking generally about the Flames):Calgary is just really, really deep, and it is really starting to show.

(Talking generally about Edmonton): Edmonton needs more than just McDavid, and they really need secondary scoring.
They could probably really use a guy like Taylor Hall...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread