Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #141
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say two players, Foo and Andersson, will be pretty likely to make the jump. Maybe one more if he surprises at camp - a Mangiapane, Klimchuk, or Valimaki.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #142
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is what I want (pipe dream)

1. Gaudreau (6,750,000) - Monahan (6,375,000) - Foo (900,000)
2. Tkachuk (925,000) - Tavares (10, 600, 000) - Bennett (1,950,000)
3. Jankowski (874,125)- Backlund (5,350,000) - Frolik (4,300,000)
4. Ferland (1,750,000) - N. Shore (971,250)- C. Lazar (950,000)

Extras: Hathaway (750,000) Stewart (900,000), Andersson (950,000)

1. Giordano (6,750,000) - Hamilton (5,750,000)
2. TJ Brodie (4,650,400) - Hamonic (3,857,143)
3. Kulak (715,000) - M. Stone (3,500,000)

1. Smith (4,250,000)
2. Ward (2,000,000)

Unless one of Gillies or Rittich steal the job.

Buy outs (Brouwer, Bouma and Murphy) - $2.504,167

Estimated 78.284 Million cap hit. Lets do it haha

Janko on the wing unless there is injuries I guess.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #143
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sign Perron, Trade for Armia. Trade Stone bring in Cole. Buyout Brouwer.

Gaudreau-Monny-Perron
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Armia
Ferland-Shore-Lazar
x Hathaway

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Cole-Anderson
Kulak

Smith
Rittich
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #144
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Brodie, Dube, and Foo to Montreal for Gallagher

Trade Brouwer and Frolik to Anaheim for Perry.

Trade Hamilton back to Boston for Marchand

Trade Backlund and Stone to Toronto for Kadri.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Marchand
Tkachuk/Kadri/Gallagher
Bennett/Janko/Perry
Ferland/Shore/Lazar
Hathaway.

Gio/Andersson
Kylington/Hamonic
Kulak/Free Agent
?
Smith
Rittich or Gillies.

I am just kidding of course but you have to admit that even though our D would be suspect that forward group would absolutely drive the opposition insane!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #145
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'd say two players, Foo and Andersson, will be pretty likely to make the jump. Maybe one more if he surprises at camp - a Mangiapane, Klimchuk, or Valimaki.
I think only one rookie defenseman will be in the lineup this season, and would then expect Valimaki to make the team in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #146
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
This is what I want (pipe dream)....
Gaudreau - Monahan - Sprong
Bennett - Tavares - Domi
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Strome/Tkachuk - Jankowski - Lazar
Brouwer, Shore

Giordano - Brodie
Valimaki - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Gillies

Total Cap-hit: $76,825,043

How we get there:

Trade 1 (NHL Draft):

To NYI: Calgary Flames 2019 1st round pick
To CGY: Negotiation rights/Signed John Tavares (8 years, 11M per)

Tavares' loyalty sees him wanting NYI to get something in return, and also gets him the desired 8 year contract.

Trade 2 (NHL Draft):

To ARZ: Dougie Hamilton, Micheal Ferland
To CGY: Max Domi, 2018 1st round pick (Brady Tkachuk) or Dylan Strome, 2018 2nd round pick

I think Dougie is going to get traded, and there's going to be a bidding war. Rightfully, or wrongfully. Ditto with Ferland, as he kind of is the poster boy for inconsistency. Domi and Strome/Tkachuk are significant young pieces in return.

Trade 3 (NHL Draft):

To PIT: Rasmus Andersson
To CGY: Daniel Sprong

Re-sign:

Jankowski - 2 years, 1.85M per (aligns with the expiration of Frolik's deal)
Kulak - 2 years, 800k per, good #6 with growth potential
Wotherspoon - 1 year, 650K, becomes the new #7
Domi - 3 years, 3.25M per
Sprong - 2 years, 925K
Gillies - 2 years, 750K
Rittich - 1 year, 775K
Shore - 1 year, 800K

Tkachuk - extended, 8 years, 6.75M per. Stays with internal player salary cap, and shows how important he is. Tkachuk wears an "A" moving forward.

(re-sign the AHL depth squad - Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Hathaway, etc)

If Brouwer can't be traded without salary retained, he gets treated as the 13th/14th forward, and postpones his buyout to next year which is big from a cap relief point of view.

Kylington acts as our 1st call-up d-man, and Hamilton's subtraction makes us more appealing to Fox while also (rightfully/wrongfully) addressing what I'm speculating is a personality mismatch between the Flames and Dougie.

Andersson for Sprong seems to make sense from a depth perspective on both sides.

The Flames are left with the ability to roll 4 extremely effective lines during 5v5 play, and gives the team cap space to possibly add a veteran back up or veteran d-man at the trade deadline.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think only one rookie defenseman will be in the lineup this season, and would then expect Valimaki to make the team in 2019.
I believe you're right about this season.

If Brodie were to be traded (or another D for that matter) do you think they bring in a veteran, or do they truly leave a spot wide open for someone like Andersson?
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #148
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Can’t trade for Tavares’ rights and then sign him to an 8 year deal. He would’ve had to have been on our roster since the trade deadline to be able to sign him for 8 IIRC
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #149
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I believe you're right about this season.

If Brodie were to be traded (or another D for that matter) do you think they bring in a veteran, or do they truly leave a spot wide open for someone like Andersson?
I would be shocked to see the Flames trade a defenseman and then bring in another defenseman. I think they have Andersson pencilled into the lineup for next season, and will move one of Brodie or Stone to accommodate him.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #150
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Can’t trade for Tavares’ rights and then sign him to an 8 year deal. He would’ve had to have been on our roster since the trade deadline to be able to sign him for 8 IIRC
Does anyone actually have this nailed down? I've seen this mentioned, but I haven't seen it in actual writing. Regardless though, I think it's still possible - even as a sign and trade.

Quote:
I would be shocked to see the Flames trade a defenseman and then bring in another defenseman. I think they have Andersson pencilled into the lineup for next season, and will move one of Brodie or Stone to accommodate him.
I think Valimaki is going to be our big youth addition to the blueline, and Andersson getting used as a big chip in a trade.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #151
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do not want the Flames to trade Dougie Hamilton. The Athletic has a really good article that summarizes why I feel this way. It’s called “The Good and Bad of Dougie Hamilton.”

I’d much rather see them trade Mark Giordano. I think they need to do that before his play starts to fall and while his value is still high.

I don’t know this would be possible but Gardiner seems to be hated in Toronto right now. His value is very low relative to his ability. I wonder if they could trade Giordano for Gardiner, Kapanen and a 1st or something.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #152
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I do not want the Flames to trade Dougie Hamilton. The Athletic has a really good article that summarizes why I feel this way. It’s called “The Good and Bad of Dougie Hamilton.”

I’d much rather see them trade Mark Giordano. I think they need to do that before his play starts to fall and while his value is still high.

I don’t know this would be possible but Gardiner seems to be hated in Toronto right now. His value is very low relative to his ability. I wonder if they could trade Giordano for Gardiner, Kapanen and a 1st or something.
The problem here is that Giordano is still far too important to this team to be moved this year, and likely next. He is the Flames' best defenseman, and the suggestion that Gardiner would be an adequate replacement is laughable. I have come to accept that the Giordano contract is a sunk cost, and for what he provides part of the price is in recognizing he will likely exhaust his value on this team.

I think it is reasonable to see Valimaki blossom into Giordano's role by 2020, but until then the Flames need a good top pairing defenseman for all situations, and Giordano is it for now.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #153
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The problem here is that Giordano is still far too important to this team to be moved this year, and likely next. He is the Flames' best defenseman, and the suggestion that Gardiner would be an adequate replacement is laughable. I have come to accept that the Giordano contract is a sunk cost, and for what he provides part of the price is in recognizing he will likely exhaust his value on this team.

I think it is reasonable to see Valimaki blossom into Giordano's role by 2020, but until then the Flames need a good top pairing defenseman for all situations, and Giordano is it for now.
I'm not saying Gardiner would replace Giordano. Giordano is much better. But I do believe Gardiner is a good defenceman and would help to soften the blow of losing Giordano. Gardiner is a positive possession player, had 52 points last year, and is almost 7 years younger. But the important part (and I don't know this is true) is that Gardiner's value may be low in the eyes of Toronto's management right now because of the media's influence. Thus, the Flames may be able to get Gardiner and help solve the RW problem with Giordano because Giordano is still recognized as a top-10 defenceman league-wide. Give from the defence to get on RW. If we could also get a 1st rounder, I would say that is adequate value for Giordano. I would prefer Gardiner and Nylander for Giordano, but I don't think Toronto would even consider that.

Ultimately, I proposed this idea because I think the Flames need to change the trajectory of their roster. Currently, I think their roster does not have the long-term potential of teams like the Lightning or the Jets (not to mention the Leafs), who are also currently better than the Flames. They need to get younger and increase the long-term potential of the 50-man roster. Even though Giordano is extremely valuable, I think he should be traded for the long-term good of the Flames.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #154
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gardiner is only signed for one more year and then is a UFA so he's not really helping long-term. And I would say if you take Gio out of the lineup your D is going to be an unmitigated disaster.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #155
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Gardiner is only signed for one more year and then is a UFA so he's not really helping long-term. And I would say if you take Gio out of the lineup your D is going to be an unmitigated disaster.
I truly believe the entire team would feel the loss of Gio more than any other player. I’d rather lose Smith and have to start in goal for them myself next year than lose Giordano.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #156
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They will pretty much need to introduce two rookies into the lineup at the same time either this year or next year. This is actually what annoys me a bit about Andersson not being in the lineup full time last season, and Kylington not getting a single look.

We had 4 young d-men we should have been planning on incorporating into the NHL lineup - Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox.

So for this year you assume it's Andersson, then what happens next year...no way you introduce Kylington & Valimaki at the same time on the Left Side, and what about Fox who if he signs will probably want some type of NHL promise to have at least a shot.

Now you have this log jam of young d-men that need a spot in order to continue their development.

If you had done 2017: Andersson, 2018: Kylington, 2019: Valimaki with Fox being the dark horse depending if and when he signed then you would have had a more natural progression of getting these guys into the lineup.

Also got screwed by the call up rule since they couldn't play Kylington down the stretch once injuries happened because we had used our 4 callups and couldn't dress him in an emergency since Bartkowski was on the roster. Instead now Kylington hasn't gotten into an NHL game the last two seasons, Andersson only has 11 games experience, and you have Valimaki graduating and looking like he's good enough to be in the NHL based on WHL comparables.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-03-2018 at 12:23 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #157
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Does anyone actually have this nailed down? I've seen this mentioned, but I haven't seen it in actual writing. Regardless though, I think it's still possible - even as a sign and trade.
You are right on the last point. Tavares signs an 8 year deal with NY they then immediately trade him for assets elsewhere.

Rather give up prospects or even Jankowski/Backlund before we give up another 1st to do it
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #158
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Amazing to see the early returns on that Giordano contract. It seemed too long when it was signed, but now that he has two elite years under that contract it's looking like a pretty good investment.

With the top 5 defensemen all making roughly 8M he's been a deal for the first two years of his contract. Given his play this year there's little doubt he'll be good next year which pretty much burns up three of the six as an elite defenseman.

Then where does he go?

A step down from elite to above average to average would get him to the last year on his contract and a very good extension by the Flames.

If he slows down more gradually ...

elite
elite
elite
above average
above average
average

it's a killer deal.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #159
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They will pretty much need to introduce two rookies into the lineup at the same time either this year or next year. This is actually what annoys me a bit about Andersson not being in the lineup full time last season, and Kylington not getting a single look.

We had 4 young d-men we should have been planning on incorporating into the NHL lineup - Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox.

So for this year you assume it's Andersson, then what happens next year...no way you introduce Kylington & Valimaki at the same time on the Left Side, and what about Fox who if he signs will probably want some type of NHL promise to have at least a shot.

Now you have this log jam of young d-men that need a spot in order to continue their development.

If you had done 2017: Andersson, 2018: Kylington, 2019: Valimaki with Fox being the dark horse depending if and when he signed then you would have had a more natural progression of getting these guys into the lineup.

Also got screwed by the call up rule since they couldn't play Kylington down the stretch once injuries happened because we had used our 4 callups and couldn't dress him in an emergency since Bartkowski was on the roster. Instead now Kylington hasn't gotten into an NHL game the last two seasons, Andersson only has 11 games experience, and you have Valimaki graduating and looking like he's good enough to be in the NHL based on WHL comparables.
if you are using WHL stats to say that Valimaki is ready then AHL stats say that Kylington is not.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #160
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Trade Brodie, Dube, and Foo to Montreal for Gallagher

Trade Brouwer and Frolik to Anaheim for Perry.

Trade Hamilton back to Boston for Marchand

Trade Backlund and Stone to Toronto for Kadri.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Marchand
Tkachuk/Kadri/Gallagher
Bennett/Janko/Perry
Ferland/Shore/Lazar
Hathaway.

Gio/Andersson
Kylington/Hamonic
Kulak/Free Agent
?
Smith
Rittich or Gillies.

I am just kidding of course but you have to admit that even though our D would be suspect that forward group would absolutely drive the opposition insane!
I know you're kidding, but would it really take Brodie, Dube, and Foo to get a Brendan Gallagher?