Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #321
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Loved the movie. Abrams is great at fan service while telling a story. The only point that was a little overdone was the cantina scene.

I wouldn't have given Ren the mask until the end or start of the next one. His petulance and rage doesn't fit the calm evil of Vader. And it's because snoke hasn't fully trained him yet. So I would have had him dawn the mask as part him being fully trained. It would have gotten rid of the playing dress up with Vader feel but that is nit picky.

Loved that they were in about 50 years or so able to create missing lore and mythology.

Is she Lukes kid? Why did Ren chase the dark side, how did snoke rise?

Loved the closing of Hans arc. I figured he was dead but thought Ren was going to ask him to kill him, the Han refuses, the the dark side in Ren kicking back in to keep the glimmer of hope alive that he isn't evil.

I think they good be Brother and Sister based on Leias comment of I never should have sent him away, that's when I lost him but then you'd figure Leia and Han would have recognized her

I liked the mask. Reminds me of a child trying to be like his hero.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #322
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, I mentioned it before, but they should have had Y-wings for the bombing run.

Were the Y-Wings part of the Republic fleet? Because the Resistance mentioned how weak they were going to be without the support of those ships.. which were blown up by the big weapon along with all the planets. I am thinking by movie two they have risen a bit in power (everyone who was left after that has to be rallying to the resistance for fear of being blown up next) and are rebuilding a substantial fleet that can at least hold its own.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #323
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Shocked people didn't like Fin. I liked all three of the new heros a lot. Better than anything in prequels.

Fin would get attached to Rey as it's his first non-stormtrooper connection and could very well be the first girl he's been able to get to know. His immaturity also makes sense as he's a scared deserter that got caught up in something much bigger than him.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #324
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I am ready to see some more new space vehicles, loved getting the nextgen X-Wings and TIE fighters but I'm ready to see a little more out there on the fleet side of things.
Same here. I was pretty disappointed when they said they were going to "bring in the Rebel fleet" to deal with the Starkiller and we got...30 X-Wings.

I love the look of the X-Wings. I thought that the TIE Fighters looked fantastic. But we only got to see a single capital ship. I'd have loved to see more types. B-Wings, Y-Wings, etc. Some different TIE types. Some of the newer Rebel capital ships. I kinda hope that they are saving that for the next couple then. But Yeah, I was a little disappointed we only had a brief look at the starfighters.

I've got high hopes for Rogue Squadron.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #325
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely wanted to see some Mon Cal Battlecruisers.

Also, that wasn't Ackbar was it? It was just a Mon Cal? They never said his name and I never noticed his nametag, if he had one.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #326
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an alternate theory for Rey's lineage too. She is neither Leia or Luke's child, but she is family, she is their little test tube sister.

Vader before he died set in motion a plan to have the children he thought he lost, replaced with new progeny. Timeline for Vader himself to complete this task is short by some years, but that doesn't mean the folks on say a planet like geonosis didn't follow through with it.

Last edited by dammage79; 12-21-2015 at 10:46 AM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #327
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I do wonder why they needed to have the Star Killer in this movie though. The Death Star was originally not supposed to be in ANH. They had 3 movies planned, but decided they may never get a chance to make them, and needed a big finish, so moved the Death Star up to ANH. They obviously don't have than concern with TFA, so I'm not sure why the rush to do it in this movie. But it's tough to judge, without knowing the plan for all 3. It just seamed a little forced and rushed.
I'm thinking the next movie will do a lot to explain why, other than playing fan service to the original movies. Snoke didn't seem at all concerned with the destruction of the base, and one would think someone as powerful as he would know that the resistance and/or Republic would do everything they could to destroy it as soon as they knew it existed (which is why he wasn't even at the base). My guess is that it's main purpose was as a diversion to a much larger operation Snoke is planning in the shadows, and as a way for Kylo to test himself and fully embrace the dark side (which he did)

I'm not willing to grade the story fully until I see the entire trilogy, and can gauge if it's just a small part of a much bigger plot or if it really was just mostly fan service
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #328
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

That was definitely Ackbar, he sounded exactly the same. Also apparently a scene where Han is reunited with Ackbar and Nien Nunb got cut. Maybe it will make the blu ray.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #329
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole film felt a tv special remake of Episode IV. Rushed, poorly-written, filled with cliches. I echo many of the posters in here who were disappointed by the film's muddy politics (what the heck was the Resistance??), the anemic pacing (I never once had my pulse rise), and the near scripting of every single scene as an homage to the originals (when will the Empire stop making super-weapons with fatal flaws).

Bad movie. I am very disappointed. In many ways, worse than the prequels, which at least tried to set off on their own and attempt something new. Typical Abrams style. Lots of very sexy battle scenes filled with fanboy dialogue - exactly what made the Star Trek movies so awful. It will be very hard for the remainder of the trilogy to come back from this formula.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #330
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The whole film felt a tv special remake of Episode IV. Rushed, poorly-written, filled with cliches. I echo many of the posters in here who were disappointed by the film's muddy politics (what the heck was the Resistance??), the anemic pacing (I never once had my pulse rise), and the near scripting of every single scene as an homage to the originals (when will the Empire stop making super-weapons with fatal flaws).

Bad movie. I am very disappointed. In many ways, worse than the prequels, which at least tried to set off on their own and attempt something new. Typical Abrams style. Lots of very sexy battle scenes filled with fanboy dialogue - exactly what made the Star Trek movies so awful. It will be very hard for the remainder of the trilogy to come back from this formula.
This is why it was good. The balance of Nostalga and creating a new mythology for the new ones to grow into. I think the key with the new ones is toleave the fan service of this one and move into their own stories. I disagree that this will be a hard thing to do as they created new characters that have depth to be explored. As long as they choose to explore it they will be fine.

Last edited by GGG; 12-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #331
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontondestruction View Post
Just a thought, but how do you aim a weapon like the Star Killer?
Magic apparently. Star Wars is at its core fantasy, not sci-fi, so best to not think about it.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #332
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I don't understand the problem with this when a lot of the complaints for the prequels revolved around too much exposition of the politics. When really, it was mostly necessary when dealing with the secret takeover of a democratic society and its transformation into an Empire.

In ANH, there is hardly any exposition about the rebel alliance or anything. And the reason we know any of what happened is the prequels and expanded universe. Obi Wan mentions the Clone Wars. WTF is that? Fans wouldn't actually find out for 30 years. All we know is that there is a civil war, the Empire bad, the Rebels good. Luke trains for what seems like a week with Yoda and by the next movie is a Jedi Master, without any other training from Jedi? How did all those planets look so close together - knows nothing of space! How do we send space probes through the astroid belt on the regular without incident and the Millenium Falcon had to pull super moves out of it's butt to navigate one there? When they are on their way to Alderan Han says they are 200 hrs from Alderan, and chat for about 5 min without even a change in scene and they're there before Chewie and R2D2 can finish their game of space chess.

People seem to give a lot of creative license to the old movies (not just in the case of Star Wars) and withhold that license from new movies. It's especially grinding when we know there are two movies to go with plenty of exposition to come.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #333
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

#### the prequels. They don't even exist in my reality. The Force Awakens is a Star Wars film. The prequels are direct to video embarrassments.

Thought Kylo Ren was an awesome villain. Loved the look, both mask on and off. Great voice. Had the two best scenes of the movie first the interrogation with his sister then the climax with Han.

Loved it and can't wait to see it again.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #334
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Star Killer was basically an intergalactic MIRV.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #335
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Magic apparently. Star Wars is at its core fantasy, not sci-fi, so best to not think about it.
Yes, trying to explain things in Star Wars is how George Lucas invented midi-cholrians.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-21-2015 at 11:36 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #336
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If they didn't give us nostalgia in the first one people would say it "didn't feel like Star Wars" and write it off like they did the prequels.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #337
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yes, trying to explain things in Star Wars is how George Lucas invented midi-cholrians.
Dude, trigger warning next time!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #338
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Invented what now?

Never heard of them.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #339
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get people complaining about Kylo Ren.

IMO, the single best decision this movie made was to have all of the new characters in early stages of their development so we can watch them grow, use their acting skills and really connect with them over this new trilogy.

A master bad guy with no back story, conflict or development would have been terrible. Go see Darth Maul in Ep 1 if that's what you want.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #340
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Who ever thought up the name Snoke needs to be shaken.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: