Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #301
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still amazed by how the sound effects of this franchise take me back 38 years. The blaster noise, light saber and especially the sound of the tie fighter. I'm 7 years old at a birthday party at Shawn's house, I'm playing with the action figures, etc. I love it that my 9 year old son probably will experience the same thing.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #302
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I am ready to see some more new space vehicles, loved getting the nextgen X-Wings and TIE fighters but I'm ready to see a little more out there on the fleet side of things.
Agreed. Loved the new X-wings, but it felt a bit odd not seeing a few Y-wings sprinkled in. Have they finally been retired?

Also really liked the new special forces Tie Fighters. The extra rear gunners seat makes them seem a lot more menacing and they seem a bit more durable. A nice upgrade from the old space coffins. The red stripe was a nice touch too.

Glad the Falcon is back. I could watch that thing outrun Tie Fighters all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'm still amazed by how the sound effects of this franchise take me back 38 years. The blaster noise, light saber and especially the sound of the tie fighter. I'm 7 years old at a birthday party at Shawn's house, I'm playing with the action figures, etc. I love it that my 9 year old son probably will experience the same thing.
Oh yes! The sounds effects totally had me going too.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #303
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I mentioned it before, but they should have had Y-wings for the bombing run.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #304
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, I mentioned it before, but they should have had Y-wings for the bombing run.
Nah, nextgen B-Wings all the way. Especially since Ackbar is in the resistance and the B-Wing was his baby. You just know they would have wrecked some serious **** on the Starkiller base attack.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #305
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough, it just felt wrong to have X-wings leading a ground attack.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #306
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
So a chick is now the face of star wars?

That's just something that's going to take a while for me to come around on. I don't know why they would make this decision. I mean it's great that they are making the cast more diverse etc. but I never would have guessed that the main character/hero/anakin/luke would now be a girl.
I believe in early drafts of Star Wars, Luke's character was actually going to be a girl.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #307
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
So a chick is now the face of star wars?

That's just something that's going to take a while for me to come around on. I don't know why they would make this decision. I mean it's great that they are making the cast more diverse etc. but I never would have guessed that the main character/hero/anakin/luke would now be a girl.
Seriously, why the hell not?

Go drag your knuckles back to your cave and evolve through an ice age or two...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #308
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontondestruction View Post
I believe in early drafts of Star Wars, Luke's character was actually going to be a girl.
Good thing they changed it. How would he had ever become a Jedi without his penis?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #309
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Nah, nextgen B-Wings all the way. Especially since Ackbar is in the resistance and the B-Wing was his baby. You just know they would have wrecked some serious **** on the Starkiller base attack.
I was a little disappointed in the tie fighter design as they went back to the classic look instead of some of the tie advanced and tie defender models from the video games.

The ships in the battle scenes lacked a little variety in comparison to return of the Jedi.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #310
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liked it just as much, if not more, the second time.

Catch some small things that help tie things together overall.

Just a great movie.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #311
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I thought it was a fun, action-packed movie, but it left a bit to be desired. I don't understand the extremely high rating on IMDB, perhaps it's people just loving the franchise as a whole.

Also, after the first hour I wanted to smack Finn in the head multiple times. He's reaching Jar Jar Binks level of annoying and it's only the first movie. His character doesn't match his background context it was very hard to connect with him.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #312
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As for who's writing the final script for VIII, Abrams has confirmed that it's complete, so I'm not sure who actually wrote it. They've already done some filming on "Skellig Michael" the Irish island, which looks to be where the Luke reveal occurred.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #313
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I thought it was a fun, action-packed movie, but it left a bit to be desired. I don't understand the extremely high rating on IMDB, perhaps it's people just loving the franchise as a whole.

Also, after the first hour I wanted to smack Finn in the head multiple times. He's reaching Jar Jar Binks level of annoying and it's only the first movie. His character doesn't match his background context it was very hard to connect with him.
I would say because the movie felt right. It looked felt and sounded like a Star Wars movie compared to 1-3 which felt different.

I hope Finns cHaraxtor and back story gets developed more. The brainwashed child solider whose programming somehow broke is interesting. I hope they don't hunger games him and make him programmes again when he wakes up.

I liked Finns uncertainty but I really liked his moments with Han where they were passing on the side kick role
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #314
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, it sounds like Rian Johnson is to write a treatment for the plot of Episode IX, in addition to directing VIII. Abrams is also on as executive producer for VII.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #315
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

I liked Finn a lot, I thought he was perfect for what he was supposed to be: A trooper trained in ground combat and that's it. He knows how to use a blaster and that's about all he knows. It makes sense that he has an ignorant, child-like quality to him.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #316
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Good thing they changed it. How would he had ever become a Jedi without his penis?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #317
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I liked Finn a lot, I thought he was perfect for what he was supposed to be: A trooper trained in ground combat and that's it. He knows how to use a blaster and that's about all he knows. It makes sense that he has an ignorant, child-like quality to him.
I think three things really annoyed me with his character:

1) He got way too attached to Rey, much to quickly - he was practically devoting his entire mission and life to her after 20 minutes of knowing each other, and the rest of the movie was him freaking out like a pluck chicken about her safety. It was bordering on creepy.

2) His back story was far to underdeveloped, and quite frankly, his character does not seem suitable for being a lifelong bred and trained Stormtrooper. He had too many child-like qualities and pop culture foibles in his character to have lived a life of fascist servitude. I'm hoping this gets much better explained in the next one.

3) The guy had two lightsaber duels, essentially reducing the emotional connection the fans make between a Jedi and their weapon of choice. His battles make Rey's battle with Ren a bit watered down.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #318
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do wonder why they needed to have the Star Killer in this movie though. The Death Star was originally not supposed to be in ANH. They had 3 movies planned, but decided they may never get a chance to make them, and needed a big finish, so moved the Death Star up to ANH. They obviously don't have than concern with TFA, so I'm not sure why the rush to do it in this movie. But it's tough to judge, without knowing the plan for all 3. It just seamed a little forced and rushed.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #319
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just a thought, but how do you aim a weapon like the Star Killer?
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #320
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I wouldn't have given Ren the mask until the end or start of the next one. His petulance and rage doesn't fit the calm evil of Vader.
Actually after re-watching the Empire Strikes Back last weekend I couldn't help thinking that Vader was full of petulance and rage, and the only thing separating him from the whiny entitled brat in the prequels was the suit and the voice. The big difference between him and Kylo Ren was that when Vader had a temper tantrum he'd force choke someone while Ren isn't respected enough to get away with that so goes around smashing stuff instead.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
GGG