Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #11321
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Signing Hall at this age with his stats being so volatile recently has too much James Neal written all over it. Granted Hall is faster now than Neal 10 years ago but as much as I was on that sign Hall bandwagon, I think we should look else hwere.
Yeah, I even liked Hall versus Gaudreau just because I like outside speed and more size versus shifty and small. But Hall is just too hard to project.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #11322
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
My Proposals for major roster shakeups this year (a bit different than some others and my past self; I suggest moving on from Tkachuk and Monahan while keeping Gaudreau.)

I would do that Ottawa deal if it was a 2022 or 2023 pick. The 2021 draft just looks boring. It looks hit and miss and low of really high end talent.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #11323
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I would do that Ottawa deal if it was a 2022 or 2023 pick. The 2021 draft just looks boring. It looks hit and miss and low of really high end talent.
It’s funny isn’t it. Usually when there’s an option between years the team giving up the pick invariably tries to defer it a year. This year is just messed up.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #11324
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My Proposals for major roster shakeups this year (a bit different than some others and my past self; I suggest moving on from Tkachuk and Monahan while keeping Gaudreau.)

You are not getting Liane using Monny as the front runner. This is 2021. Someone will do much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #11325
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
‘Still has value’ is even underselling it. They’re going to come out of this with Roslovic and a good return for an inevitable Laine trade. Which will be substantial when compared directly to Dubois.
Yeah, the Jackets realized Laine probably wasn’t a long-term fit, so the plan was to move Dubois for Laine and then trade Laine this offseason when more teams will be in the mix for trades of this magnitude.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #11326
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, I even liked Hall versus Gaudreau just because I like outside speed and more size versus shifty and small. But Hall is just too hard to project.
Not really. I projected this is exactly what Hall would be and everyone ripped me for it.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #11327
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure that the Sens throw in a top 5 pick to complete a trade of a cost controlled Josh Noris who has 3 more goals and one fewer point than Tkachuk for a guy who has to be paid 9 million dollars a year next year. Not sure you would do that as a hockey trade, let alone a Melnyk trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #11328
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Not sure that the Sens throw in a top 5 pick to complete a trade of a cost controlled Josh Noris who has 3 more goals and one fewer point than Tkachuk for a guy who has to be paid 9 million dollars a year next year. Not sure you would do that as a hockey trade, let alone a Melnyk trade.
Brothers want to play together, I’m sure Tkachuk would take a discount on his next deal. I mean, it worked with us and Mark Stone right?
Old 04-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #11329
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you suggesting 2017 draftee Josh Norris who has 29pts in 49 career games is worth similar to 2016 draftee Matthew Tkachuk who has 265pts in 338 games? As a hockey trade that is a steal for the Sens who would be drafting top 5 in a draft year where the OHL didn’t even play a season. They would buy low on a player who had 34 goals and 76pts when he was Josh Norris’ age.

Matthew and Brady are extremely close so I think the Sens landing Matthew would be a great way to ensure both sign long term deals.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #11330
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Are you suggesting 2017 draftee Josh Norris who has 29pts in 49 career games is worth similar to 2016 draftee Matthew Tkachuk who has 265pts in 338 games? As a hockey trade that is a steal for the Sens who would be drafting top 5 in a draft year where the OHL didn’t even play a season. They would buy low on a player who had 34 goals and 76pts when he was Josh Norris’ age.

Matthew and Brady are extremely close so I think the Sens landing Matthew would be a great way to ensure both sign long term deals.
I was suggesting that while I am not sure that is fair value as a hockey trade when you factor in salary. I am absolutely certain, living in Ottawa for the past 7 years, that there is no chance that Dorion walks into Melnyk's office and says he has a great trade that will cost Melnyk 6.5 million more US next year that Melnyk says yes to it.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #11331
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was suggesting that while I am not sure that is fair value as a hockey trade when you factor in salary. I am absolutely certain, living in Ottawa for the past 7 years, that there is no chance that Dorion walks into Melnyk's office and says he has a great trade that will cost Melnyk 6.5 million more US next year that Melnyk says yes to it.
I would not disagree with the Melnyk view on the deal but as a hockey trade I think that is a huge win for Ottawa based on the fact I think uniting the brothers would be a key to getting a long term commitment from Brady. I also think it is an absolute buy low on Matthew and if the team was ever looking at moving a pick their 1st this year makes sense.

That would have the Sens starting next year with Tkachuk x2, Stutzle, Sanderson, Chabot as their main core in addition to other solid young players. It is the type of move a team makes when they are looking to go from rebuilding to competing and not that different than the picks for Hamilton deal the Flames made
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 11:41 PM   #11332
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone bothered to look at a depth chart? Matthew and Brady both play LW, and the Sens also have Stutzle slotted at LW. Trading for Matthew makes absolutely no sense for the Sens from a roster standpoint.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:02 AM   #11333
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Has anyone bothered to look at a depth chart? Matthew and Brady both play LW, and the Sens also have Stutzle slotted at LW. Trading for Matthew makes absolutely no sense for the Sens from a roster standpoint.
Technically, Matthew can play RW-albeit not as well as his natural LW position.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:26 AM   #11334
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure that if you were to ask Tkachuk where he wants to play, I bet his list would be ordered in this way:

1) Stanley Cup Contender
2) St. Louis
3) Ottawa (or wherever Brady is)

That's fine with me. Doesn't mean that he doesn't want to be here, even if Calgary is none of those things. It is up to Treliving to figure out if they can extend him this off-season before they have to qualify him next off-season. I believe on July 1st (or whatever date Free Agent Day falls this year - I think the 28th?), Treliving can extend him (correct me if I am wrong).

That gives Treliving some time to work out a deal if it looks like Tkachuk doesn't want an extension at a reasonable cap hit here. I bet he moves. Why would he work out a deal, rather than accept the QO and become a UFA. Could still sign here afterwards, with what will be more than likely a better economic situation for the NHL.

I am betting that it is Monahan and Tkachuk that are on their way out this off-season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #11335
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're moving Tkachuk to St. Louis you're going to have to take a big contract back. Hell, if you're moving him anywhere you're going to have to take a big contract back. The goal would be to get a couple good young players (Thomas and Kyrou) and then eat a contract. Tkachuk and Valimaki for Thomas, Kyrou, and Parayko? Might shake loose what the Flames are looking for. Not sure why St. Louis would do that. I don't see Tkachuk as a player that would really turn their heads. I'd be looking at moving Tkachuk to a team like Buffalo or New Jersey, that is a little more desperate and needs a name.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #11336
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I guess we could just take Stutzle for Tkachuk 1 for 1?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #11337
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you're moving Tkachuk to St. Louis you're going to have to take a big contract back. Hell, if you're moving him anywhere you're going to have to take a big contract back. The goal would be to get a couple good young players (Thomas and Kyrou) and then eat a contract. Tkachuk and Valimaki for Thomas, Kyrou, and Parayko? Might shake loose what the Flames are looking for. Not sure why St. Louis would do that. I don't see Tkachuk as a player that would really turn their heads. I'd be looking at moving Tkachuk to a team like Buffalo or New Jersey, that is a little more desperate and needs a name.
Interesting... Mercer + Holtz for Tkachuk?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #11338
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brad stays GM, I bet the only shake up we get is that he trades Dillon Dube and possibly Juusso Valimaki, as these guys don't really seem to be fitting in with Darryl.

I think Treliving's wagon is hitched to Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk. If they go, he goes...
Old 04-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #11339
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
If Brad stays GM, I bet the only shake up we get is that he trades Dillon Dube and possibly Juusso Valimaki, as these guys don't really seem to be fitting in with Darryl.

I think Treliving's wagon is hitched to Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk. If they go, he goes...

I sure hope so! I wouldn't mind if all of the names you mentioned ended up on different teams next year.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #11340
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

One bad season definitely does not sour me on Tkachuk.

Tkachuk is at the core of whatever this team does next in my eyes. Turning against this player at this stage is absolutely insane to me. Yes, something is off this year - I think you can look at Johnny's dismissive comment on Spittin' Chiclets, and the teams general reaction to the Toronto/Muzzin stuff as being a decent problem.

Tkachuk is here and wants to win, oh and he's a very good player. I'd say he's an elite LW in this league who can play in all situations.

20/21:
0.75 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 55.00
SF%: 53.65
GF%: 58.82
xGF%: 53.24
SCF%: 53.17
HDCF%: 52.97
HDGF%: 51.61

19/20:
0.88 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 52.72
SF%: 50.70
GF%: 49.47
xGF%: 52.71
SCF%: 53.66
HDCF%: 54.96
HDGF%: 50.00

18/19:
0.96 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 56.95
SF%: 56.12
GF%: 54.90
xGF%: 53.98
SCF%: 56.27
HDCF%: 53.54
HDGF%: 58.06

17/18:
0.72 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 57.29
SF%: 56.18
GF%: 48.00
xGF%: 53.55
SCF%: 56.09
HDCF%: 54.72
HDGF%: 51.16

16/17:
0.63 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 55.98
SF%: 57.30
GF%: 58.44
xGF%: 53.79
SCF%: 55.26
HDCF%: 54.17
HDGF%: 55.10

I can't even begin to understand negative sentiment around this player. I get that we're all pissed that this season went the way it did, but if we were in a situation where we could only keep one of Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, and Tkachuk - I'd keep Tkachuk considering all things (age being in a key difference between he and Lindholm).

Ship Monahan and Gaudreau out of town. Say goodbye to Giordano. I say you build with Tkachuk.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread