Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #9261
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's silly.

What we do need:
- More good locker room guys.
- A couple of hard nosed, veteran, black and blue forwards.
- A "possession" system that generates low quality shots

It's a process guys, gotta have faith in the process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #9262
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

#Truculence
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #9263
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
That's silly.

What we do need:
- More good locker room guys.
- A couple of hard nosed, veteran, black and blue forwards.
- A "possession" system that generates low quality shots

It's a process guys, gotta have faith in the process.
The process is entirely taking to f'n long.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #9264
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The process is entirely taking to f'n long.
This team continues to regress each year.... so yes the process isn't working
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #9265
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
This team continues to regress each year.... so yes the process isn't working
Continue to regress?

77pts, 97pts, 77pts, 94pts, 80-98pts

It appears they are up one year down the next not so than regressing every year.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #9266
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry meant Hamonic out, not Hamilton.

What is crazy about moving Monahan?
What does he really bring to the team?
Gets most of his points from Gaudrea, so its not like he is a driving force.
Where is his great leadership and drive these last twenty games when the flames have just sucked because of a lack of leadership.

Team has a lack of effort and that is more than the coaching. Sure the coaching sucks, but a room full of people that hate to lose should not need the coach to motivate them.

The team this year is competing for a lottery pick. So what is the difference. You want to keep the current lineup and continue to suck. That's a great plan. Maybe if we light a bunch of candles and sing lots of wishes that will make the team better next year and we wont have to do anything.

Fact is this team is underachieving. It has a lot of players that should be leaders that are underachieving. This team sucks and needs some serious changes. The only way that is going to happen is if we aren't afraid to make some bold moves.

These are moves that make us younger, faster, and more talented. Plus provides a lot more depth. I would rather take the world junior team model from this year than the tradition model of skill, skill, checking, and energy that we seem to be continually striving to build.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #9267
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes we need more truculence.
What is going to happen is we are going to give a six year, six million dollar deal to JVR this summer because he will solve all of our issues.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #9268
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam as the #1 centre would assure us of a really high 2019 1st!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #9269
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sam as the #1 centre would assure us of a really high 2019 1st!
maybe the flames should look into it.

Get another Tkachuk....er, or another Bennett.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #9270
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two coaches and over four years we go up and down.
So the real question is it the coaches or is it the players?
If it is the players than it is those players that are supposed to be the leaders.
Not the veterans that are almost done.
Those veterans that are one their second contracts that are supposed to be driving the direction of the team. And right now that direction is in circles because they are lacking heart, passion, and character.
Listen to Tkachuk and Smith interviews and they will all but come out and say that the dressing room is too comfortable and too many guys that don't care enough.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #9271
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett has shown that he can play with Gaudreau.
Gaudreau and Nyquist would be the driving forces on that line and Bennett would just have to play a smart game.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #9272
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Bennett is not able to play with two smart and skilled players and contribute than he is too stupid to keep on the team and we need to move him out. Trade him and the second first round pick acquired for O Reilly.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #9273
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
What is crazy about moving Monahan?
What does he really bring to the team?
Gets most of his points from Gaudrea, so its not like he is a driving force.
Monahan scored 20 playing with the likes of Baertschi, Colborne and Galiardi as an 18 year old before Gaudreau even signed with the Flames. There's only thirteen players in the league with more goals in the last 4 seasons.

Let's take the one good offensive center we have and move him so our All-Star winger has no one to play with. Hmm, where have I seen that before? Maybe Blake Comeau can play center again?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #9274
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

What changes need to happen on the team to give it the proper leadership direction?
Who needs to leave so that you don't have to rely on the head coach to be the driving force?
What we have is not working? Not working at a core level. How do we change it to go forward?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #9275
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Monahan scored 20 playing with the likes of Baertschi, Colborne and Galiardi as an 18 year old before Gaudreau even signed with the Flames. There's only thirteen players in the league with more goals in the last 4 seasons.

Let's take the one good offensive center we have and move him so our All-Star winger has no one to play with. Hmm, where have I seen that before? Maybe Blake Comeau can play center again?
Have to give up something to get something.
I think that Monahan is part of the leadership problem.
If you believe he is a great leader, than who do you think is leading this team to mediocrity?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #9276
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gee maybe start with the guy with the C. And the guys with As.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #9277
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan has injury problems that is really worrying him and the team I'm guessing. Again it's Just a hunch but I suspect he has really messed up his back while training off season a couple of years ago and disc problems just keep recurring and getting progressively worse.

Hope I'm totally out to lunch with my hunch but this would explain a lot when it comes to Monahans apparent lack of compete
Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #9278
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Monahan has injury problems that is really worrying him and the team I'm guessing. Again it's Just a hunch but I suspect he has really messed up his back while training off season a couple of years ago and disc problems just keep recurring and getting progressively worse.

Hope I'm totally out to lunch with my hunch but this would explain a lot when it comes to Monahans apparent lack of compete
I think it's clear that he's playing injured right now, but I think it's a pretty big jump to suggest that he has some major back injury from off season training several years before.
Where are you getting that info from, or if it's a complete guess, what makes you draw that conclusion?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #9279
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I think it's clear that he's playing injured right now, but I think it's a pretty big jump to suggest that he has some major back injury from off season training several years before.
Where are you getting that info from, or if it's a complete guess, what makes you draw that conclusion?
2016 Monahan missed the World Cup due to a back injury sustained during training. He also missed camp because of this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #9280
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Have to give up something to get something.
I think that Monahan is part of the leadership problem.
If you believe he is a great leader, than who do you think is leading this team to mediocrity?
Why do I need to believe he is a great leader to believe he is a good center? He's 23 years old. You asked what he brought to the team. I told you, his ability to score goals....sort of important in the game.

If you want to look at the leadership issue, maybe look at the actual leaders of the team? Start at the top at Ken King and Brad Treliving and go down from there.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 03-19-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Closed Thread