Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #81
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Just realized that the Sears location in North Hill mall - albeit an old, decrepit building - is pretty valuable real estate for another Big Box store. I'm sure something will go in there.
The North Hill Sears should have rented out their parking lot to SAIT students, they'd have been the most profitable Sears on the continent.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #82
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I think there have been plans long cooking for that whole site, can't remember who owns it. Probably won't go ahead in this economy but perhaps this moves things forward with it a bit?

The very deep pockets of Concord Pacific own the North Hill Sears. Here's hoping they put in something truly memorable to reinvigorate that entire mall.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #83
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Looks like Chilis at North Hill is done too:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3796060/c...rta-locations/

Last edited by troutman; 10-10-2017 at 11:03 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #84
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

North Hill mall was dead when I was going to SAIT 20 years ago. The food court is pretty much the only thing keeping it going. They should honestly tear down that mall and replace it with mid- or high-rise condos and storefronts for the ground floor.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #85
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
North Hill mall was dead when I was going to SAIT 20 years ago. The food court is pretty much the only thing keeping it going. They should honestly tear down that mall and replace it with mid- or high-rise condos and storefronts for the ground floor.
It was a bad design to have the food court at one end, it pretty much means people don't go to the other end where the corpse of Sears is.

Winners just opened a big new store @ Northhill where K-Mart used to be (who remembers that?) and its pretty busy.

Maybe they should go the Northland/Deerfoot Route and just un-enclose the mall.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #86
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It certainly has its problems. They should have better integrated an entrance by the LRT. The parking area near the towers is dismal. But Safeway is busy, the foodcourt, Shoppers, the banks, EB Games, the gym, Liquor Barn, all see high traffic. I wouldn't say it is dead, other than the Sears end.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #87
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would probably be a pretty good location for a Whole Foods Market if they ever decide to come here.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #88
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife works in the professional building at North Hill Mall, and she has some pretty grim stories. Stepping over human feces and discarded needles in the doorways - multiple times. Car break-ins got so bad they posted security guards as spotters on the roof. Wasted people wandering lost into their offices. Sounds like some serious urban decay in the neighbourhood.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #89
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
The North Hill Sears should have rented out their parking lot to SAIT students, they'd have been the most profitable Sears on the continent.
They finally allowed students to park at the mall legally just in the last year.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #90
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

A dinosaur I work with is telling me as I type this that Sears could’ve stayed competitive and in business if they’d kept their catalogue more current, as they are a very trusted name, and . . . I just can’t find the energy to get into this with them this morning.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At one time they were more then a trusted name, they were a retail icon. I can't tell you how many people would wait for that Christmas Catalog, and either every small towner would make the long drive to a major city. Or they'd fill in the order page on the back, tear it out, write a check, put it in the envelope and mail it off knowing that they'd get their bundle in 6 to 8 weeks.

They lost their market place because they refused to move out of the 60's.

At one time they had probably the most buying power of any retailer in the country, but they were pretty arrogant about that.

I remember getting that catalog and going to the massive toys section, I bought my first Star Wars figures from Sears, and my parents ordered the bucket o lego.

Then you'd look at the sporting goods section for the hockey gear and you'd circle the picture of the Bauer 501 Bobby Orr specials and tell your dad that you wanted him, and the old man would say "I hope you have the $25.00 cause that's a lot of money". Can you imagine now premium hockey skates for $25.00 today?

Then the parents left the room you'd wait a minute and flip over the ladies section to see the woman in what was probably sexy back then, bullet bra's and granny panties.

Once you were done, you'd take the spring and Christmas Catalogs and tape em to your legs and go out and play goal

"Ladies and Gentle, starting for the Philadelphia Flyers . . . Bernie Parent"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #92
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how much is the fault of Sears and how much is the sea change in retail. The mid-range market is collapsing everywhere. Today's market has Winners, Wal-Mart, etc. on one hand, and Nordstrom's, Crate & Barrel, etc. on the other, and nothing in between. People either want stuff as cheap as they can possibly get, or nice stuff that they're willing to pay a premium for. Which just mirrors the way our society is going in general.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-11-2017 at 10:00 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #93
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It is Sears fault that they failed to adapt to the sea of change in retail.

Same reason why Blackberry is dead as a handset maker - they failed to adapt in time. At least in their case, their software and patent trolling departments did, finally, adapt.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #94
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Then you'd look at the sporting goods section for the hockey gear and you'd circle the picture of the Bauer 501 Bobby Orr specials and tell your dad that you wanted him, and the old man would say "I hope you have the $25.00 cause that's a lot of money". Can you imagine now premium hockey skates for $25.00 today?
$25 in 1970 would cost $156.99 in 2016.

That'd buy your kid a set of CCM Ultra Tacks of Bauer Vapour X900 Youth Skates today.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #95
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't know how much is the fault of Sears and how much is the sea change in retail. The mid-range market is collapsing everywhere. Today's market has Winners, Wal-Mart, etc. on one hand, and Nordstrom's, Crate & Barrel, etc. on the other, and nothing in between. People either want stuff as cheap as they can possibly get, or nice stuff that they're willing to pay a premium for. Which just mirrors the way our society is going in general.
If you are going to be a one-stop shop, you have to be a discount retailer.
Premium works if you specialize (fashion, luxury goods, etc.).

The Bay is looking rather sad these days as well because they are still positioned partly in the mid-market.

Then there's Amazon which completely changes the playing field as well. I bought my last 55" 4K TV from Amazon instead of going to a retailer.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #96
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is more on Sears than anything else, but the landscape doesnt help either. The stores are a mess, you can tell no one cares working there, can't find anything. They had some cool things but no consistency between stores. Could Sears have adapted to stay relevant? I'm not sure , the landscape is drastically changing. I read an article that said kids/teens are more likely to save money and go out to a restaurant to eat than spend the day at the mall. The mall is no longer "cool", and until the mall becomes a gathering place in society again we will continue to see stores close. I use on-line for some purchasing but still go to brick and mortar stores more often but realize I'm in the minority.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #97
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't know how much is the fault of Sears and how much is the sea change in retail.
Of course it's the fault of Sears they didn't stay current, adapt or die.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #98
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Of course it's the fault of Sears they didn't stay current, adapt or die.
How many Amazons does the world need though? There's no special Sears niche that a Sears version of Amazon would fill. There was no adapting for Sears. Their best course of action would have been to cease operations earlier, wouldn't it?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #99
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There was no adapting for Sears.
Maybe, but Sears did absolutely noting to adapt they stuck with the what made them successful 50 years ago. They could have at least tried.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #100
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Maybe, but Sears did absolutely noting to adapt they stuck with the what made them successful 50 years ago. They could have at least tried.
10 years ago..."No way man, this whole internet thing is just a fad. Just watch, it'll be dead and gone in 5 years, and SEARS can re-emerge as a phoenix to save retail!"...and the board of directors nodded in agreement...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote