Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #841
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
From his brief posting history it seems like he just likes being contrarian and argumentative. adc before you post a scathing reply, I'm not saying that style doesn't add value. But it kind of proves my point that you're posting a pretty opinionated view, when you don't use either of the services being debated.
I am not sure that saying that Uber should follow the laws that cities have established or work with the Cities to comply with those laws is all that opinionated.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #842
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I am not sure that saying that Uber should follow the laws that cities have established or work with the Cities to comply with those laws is all that opinionated.
Maybe it's just your posting style.

The laws are broken and Uber should be commended for coming in regardless, because it's going to force the city's hand to actually do something one way or the other. Go ahead and accuse me of being brainwashed, that's fine.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #843
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe it's just your posting style.

The laws are broken and Uber should be commended for coming in regardless, because it's going to force the city's hand to actually do something one way or the other. Go ahead and accuse me of being brainwashed, that's fine.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

- Thomas Jefferson

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #844
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pretty much agree that the laws are non-functional, but that doesn't mean you get to decide which ones are "just" enough for you to obey. He does have a point here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #845
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

- Thomas Jefferson
You should post that on Nenshi's twitter page.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #846
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
You should post that on Nenshi's twitter page.
I dont twit. Or tweeter. Or whateverhaveyou.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #847
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I pretty much agree that the laws are non-functional, but that doesn't mean you get to decide which ones are "just" enough for you to obey. He does have a point here.
uhh what. it is absolutely your job as a citizen in a democracy to pass judgement on the justfulness of a law. Peaceful disobedience exercised by numerous people is one of the best ways to force laws to be changed. Just because something is a law doesn't mean it's right.

Last edited by Dan02; 11-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #848
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, it's pretty authoritarian to walk around going "well this makes no sense and only exists to prop up a poor industry model that refuses to get better, but it's the law!!"

*speeds in a playground zone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #849
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Again, it's pretty authoritarian to walk around going "well this makes no sense and only exists to prop up a poor industry model that refuses to get better, but it's the law!!"

*speeds in a playground zone*
Who is saying that is what you do?

I have said work to change the laws. If the city has issue with insurance then make sure all of your drivers have the proper insurance but that costs the company money and doesn't work with their business model so instead of working with the city they just break the law.

If you think a playground zone is a stupid law then work to get it changed. If Uber thinks these laws are only there to prop up a poor industry then show that and get them changed. I am not sure why they have the right to decide what rules to follow and others don't.

"Child labor laws are stupid so get down in that mine you whiney 5 year old" that is the kind of behaviour that you support?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #850
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Who is saying that is what you do?

I have said work to change the laws. If the city has issue with insurance then make sure all of your drivers have the proper insurance but that costs the company money and doesn't work with their business model so instead of working with the city they just break the law.

If you think a playground zone is a stupid law then work to get it changed. If Uber thinks these laws are only there to prop up a poor industry then show that and get them changed. I am not sure why they have the right to decide what rules to follow and others don't.

"Child labor laws are stupid so get down in that mine you whiney 5 year old" that is the kind of behaviour that you support?
Dude have you not been following this thread? This has been a huge problem for 20+ years and the city has been "working to change the laws". If they can't get it done I commend a new entrant for saying screw it.

Are you a born and raised Calgarian? Just curious because you said that you don't use cabs here and I really think you might be underestimating the issues of taxi accessibility that have plagued us.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #851
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you a born and raised Calgarian? Just curious because you said that you don't use cabs here and I really think you might be underestimating the issues of taxi accessibility that have plagued us.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the people on here criticizing Uber have never actually tried to get a cab in Calgary late at night.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #852
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the people on here criticizing Uber have never actually tried to get a cab in Calgary late at night.
Let alone at night on a weekend.

I remember booking a cab for a certain time for my wife's company Christmas party and it never came. We called the company and all they said was "there was a better fare available so the car was redirected."

Um...so now we have to drive to a Christmas party? Thanks a ton ass holes!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #853
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dude have you not been following this thread? This has been a huge problem for 20+ years and the city has been "working to change the laws". If they can't get it done I commend a new entrant for saying screw it.

I have criticized the cab companies in this thread multiple times now.

I was born and raised in Calgary yes but do not live there now (it is still the city I have lived in more than any other city.) I probably go to Calgary 2-3 times a month as well on average.

That said I have never had an issue getting a cab or with a cab being rude or refusing me service. I am not denying that there appears to be a major problem with the way the Cab system works in Calgary. What I am saying is that Uber coming in and ignoring the laws is not the solution and shouldn't be allowed by the city.

Also it isn't like Uber is following the laws in all the other cities they operate in. This isn't a Calgary only issue. It is the way they always operate and the way the manage to be profitable.

Saying Uber is bad and/or wrong in what they are doing is not supporting the cab companies.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #854
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there was a time in my life where I used cabs somewhat frequently (30+$ trips too) and out of the 15-20 trips I took a year, at least 5 didn't show up, 3 would pull the "no credit!" thing, and at least one would refuse to take me after getting in.

Quote:
Also it isn't like Uber is following the laws in all the other cities they operate in. This isn't a Calgary only issue. It is the way they always operate and the way the manage to be profitable.
Uh you realize most cities don't have a taxi bylaw like we do, let alone one that exists to protect an industry as awful as ours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #855
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I have criticized the cab companies in this thread multiple times now.

I was born and raised in Calgary yes but do not live there now (it is still the city I have lived in more than any other city.) I probably go to Calgary 2-3 times a month as well on average.

That said I have never had an issue getting a cab or with a cab being rude or refusing me service. I am not denying that there appears to be a major problem with the way the Cab system works in Calgary. What I am saying is that Uber coming in and ignoring the laws is not the solution and shouldn't be allowed by the city.

Saying Uber is bad and/or wrong in what they are doing is not supporting the cab companies.
Since you don't use taxis, you haven't become as bitter as those who do. I understand this. You should also try to understand our side - we're willing to support a private company coming in and breaking the law, in order to improve service. We're not idiots. We know they're breaking the law. We just don't care, because the law itself is protecting an industry that is ass backwards and providing profits to a few people to the detriment of the whole.

Let's just leave it at that.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #856
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Since you don't use taxis, you haven't become as bitter as those who do. I understand this. You should also try to understand our side - we're willing to support a private company coming in and breaking the law, in order to improve service. We're not idiots. We know they're breaking the law. We just don't care, because the law itself is protecting an industry that is ass backwards and providing profits to a few people to the detriment of the whole.

Let's just leave it at that.
I understand why people use it. I don't think at any point I have said people should not use it. That is up to them.

I am stating I don't like Uber's business practices and that I don't support them.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #857
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Uh you realize most cities don't have a taxi bylaw like we do, let alone one that exists to protect an industry as awful as ours?
I think many, if not all, places in North America have laws regarding commerical versus personal vehicles and there would also be labor laws in regards to employees versus contractors as well.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #858
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I understand why people use it. I don't think at any point I have said people should not use it. That is up to them.

I am stating I don't like Uber's business practices and that I don't support them.

Yep that's fine. And I am saying that most people are so bitter that they want to support them regardless of their business practices. You shouldn't feel like you need to educate us that Uber is breaking the law because we already know.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #859
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yep that's fine. And I am saying that most people are so bitter that they want to support them regardless of their business practices. You shouldn't feel like you need to educate us that Uber is breaking the law because we already know.
I don't really feel I need to educate anyone on Uber I was responding to a question about people's feelings on Brett Wilson offering $100,000 to the library.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #860
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Yep. I'm gonna Uber the hell out of the uberman, for no other reason than to send a big F-you to the taxi industry. I can't even count how many times I've stood around in the freezing cold while those a-holes drove past me with their lights on.

Now I don't live downtown anymore and I only take cabs a few times a month, but I'm going to make a point of paying around the same fare as a cab because I want them to stick around. $60 Uber ride to Okotoks? Here's a hundy. That's how much I hate the taxi industry in Calgary.

I'm an irrational, spiteful, grudge carrying individual. I won't forget those cold nights anytime soon.
Me too. I'll hold a grudge against Calgary taxis for a loooong time after I spent most of my 20s and early 30s living in and around DT, and cabs treating me like crap because the ride was too short. And I laugh at the dink that posted earlier saying it's only 15 minute walk. Yeah. 15 minutes in minus 20, wearing shoes that aren't meant to walk through the snow, up the hill into Bankview.

I just never understood how come they weren't willing to make a quick $10 ($7 fare, $3 tip) to take me from 1410 up to 25th ave. WTF? You can be right back here in less than 6 minutes.

So then I go and have a kid and move down to the dreaded suburbs, and the few nights I still get to go out, I still can't get a GD cab because it's too far.

Seriously, I hate taxis. I've met a few cool drivers, and I feel a little bit bad that they are subject to my grudge, but I have been screwed over wayyy too many times to not be grinning like a kid on xmas over Uber coming along and F-ing their sh*t up. Sorry for my language, but I hate taxis that much. 19 years. I moved DT when I was 18, and now I'm 37. They've sucked ass my entire adult life. Living in Bankview, Beltline, and Altadore for that long, and all my friends living in the same hoods, but too far to walk in the winter, or just because I don't want to in the summer. Can't get a ride from 17th to 33rd because it's too short? With that monster hill in between? And my one buddy who lived in Bridlewood the whole time, we could never get a ride to his house, either. F-em. Payback's a bitch.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: