Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #61
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Chocolate and orange is a grandma flavour, dude. I get those chocolate oranges in my stocking sometimes and they go straight into the garbage. So gross.

Bubblegum ice cream is actually my favourite flavour. That on the bottom and peppermint on top. Yum.
Hey man, I'm not gonna put down your favorite ice cream flavor, even if I think it's weird. Ice cream should bring us all together, not tear us apart.

Also, send those chocolate oranges over my way before throwing them in the garbage! Love those things
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #62
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chocolate and orange is a grandma flavour, dude. I get those chocolate oranges in my stocking sometimes and they go straight into the garbage. So gross.

Bubblegum ice cream is actually my favourite flavour. That on the bottom and peppermint on top. Yum.
Okay, now you're just taking the piss.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #63
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually honestly, I would be up for a list of the best things to do (or secret gems) in Calgary.

Friend moving to the city here shortly and a reminder of some of the "best of" spots in and around Calgary would be wicked.

Village ice cream was on my list. Dawgs game at Seaman stadium in Okotoks another great example, but done for this summer. Let's compare and compile notes.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #64
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Hey man, I'm not gonna put down your favorite ice cream flavor, even if I think it's weird. Ice cream should bring us all together, not tear us apart.
Thanked for ^ that, not for this v
Quote:
Also, send those chocolate oranges over my way before throwing them in the garbage! Love those things
You can have my garbage as well. It'll be a new year's gift.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #65
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how this thread has gone.

Silver, let me 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th the call for you to put together a list of "To Do's" in Calgary.

Also, sling some chocolate oranges my way please.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #66
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I like how this thread has gone.

Silver, let me 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th the call for you to put together a list of "To Do's" in Calgary.

Also, sling some chocolate oranges my way please.
Hah, after keg/garage parties, I don't have much that would impress you guys, although everything I would come up with would be better than waiting in line for an ice cream cone.

I thought this list had some good ideas on it, although starting things off with lame-ass Devonian Gardens is a bit weird: http://www.familyfuncanada.com/calga...y-this-summer/.

I'll tell you one thing I just learned about that I'm going to check out one day in September: The Vault. Maybe it's common knowledge, but I didn't know it existed until last week.
Quote:
The tunnel leads into the mountain to two chambers roughly 80 feet x 25 feet...The shallow caves were actually constructed by a private company, Rocky Mountain Vaults and Archives, with the intent of holding only documents… in the beginning. Rocky Mountain Vaults and Archives obtained licenses to begin constructing the vault in 1969, though it is suspected that they had started tunneling before then. The company had planned to store the country’s “most important documents” to keep them safe in the even of nuclear fallout. The vault would be climate-controlled and protected from all elements and dangers. “Built for maximum protection… against any form of destructive vice, from mildew to hydrogen bomb.” The original plans for the facility called for a system of impenetrable chambers and vaults built right into the mountain, which could THEORETICALLY have served as a redoubt for government officials in the case of an apocalypse. Regardless, what would undoubtedly have been the largest secure file storage vault of that time fell short on financing early in construction and the company went bankrupt. The project was abandoned and left as it was, only a fraction of the planned size of the original ambitious idea.
Apparently, you can just walk into the caves and snoop around. They're in Kananaskis only like 40 minutes from Calgary and about a 1km hike off the Trans Canada. Seems pretty neat.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #67
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The South Calgary Hospital is pretty swanky. If you're going to die, you might as well request the ambulance driver take you there so you can die in style.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll tell you one thing I just learned about that I'm going to check out one day in September: The Vault. Maybe it's common knowledge, but I didn't know it existed until last week.

Apparently, you can just walk into the caves and snoop around. They're in Kananaskis only like 40 minutes from Calgary and about a 1km hike off the Trans Canada. Seems pretty neat.
Not in Kananaskis, they are just off the TCH from Lac Des Arc. You can park at the gravel area and walk up in about 20 minutes. Bring a flashlight as the ground is very uneven with lots of loose rock waiting to twist your ankle.

Basically in the open patch here:
https://goo.gl/maps/TWbLgEHoUYK2

Park just off to the right of the map in the gravel area.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #69
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought this list had some good ideas on it, although starting things off with lame-ass Devonian Gardens is a bit weird:
Got some bad news for you, undercoverbrother: Devonian Gardens has been pretty much ruined since you left Calgary. If you had any fond memories of the old gardens, it's best not to spoil them with a visit to the sterile food court it has become.

On the plus side, Korean friend chicken is now a thing in this city. And it's awesome. My favourite is Ogam on Macleod Trail.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #70
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
Actually honestly, I would be up for a list of the best things to do (or secret gems) in Calgary.
Good idea for a thread. Cool things unique to Calgary. Everyone list 5 things:

1) Sentry Box - the largest game store in the world.
http://www.sentrybox.com/
With over 13,000 sq. ft. of display and gaming space, the Sentry Box is a Mecca for those interested in fantasy, science fiction, or military games, books and miniatures.

2) Bow River trout fishing
https://tucanada.org/bow-river-chapter/
The “Blue Ribbon Bow River” was becoming recognized as one of the leading trout fisheries in North America.

3) National Music Center
https://nmc.ca/

4) CJSW
http://cjsw.com/
CJSW 90.9FM is Calgary’s community radio station, based at the University of Calgary. CJSW is a non-profit society maintained and operated by a group of seven staff members and over 200 volunteers drawn from both the University of Calgary student body and the wider city of Calgary population. CJSW broadcasts music, spoken word and multicultural programming on 90.9FM and streaming right here at cjsw.com!

5) B-Line Indoor Bike Park
https://www.facebook.com/blinebikepark/
B-Line is a 60,000 square foot indoor bicycle riding facility looking to open in NE Calgary in Sept 2017. 2 words: Big Ass Foam Pit
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #71
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ice cream should bring us all together, not tear us apart.
Unless you're the guy who's farty-lactose and eating it, then I wanna stay far far away from you.

Back to op: Things you've missed in Calgary... not much really. Try driving the DDI at Sundance and Macleod?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #72
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Got some bad news for you, undercoverbrother: Devonian Gardens has been pretty much ruined since you left Calgary. If you had any fond memories of the old gardens, it's best not to spoil them with a visit to the sterile food court it has become.

On the plus side, Korean friend chicken is now a thing in this city. And it's awesome. My favourite is Ogam on Macleod Trail.
Ogam is pretty good, but super expensive.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #73
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have you been to the Stampede yet?!
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Have you been to the Stampede yet?!
Thems fightin' words!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #75
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Korean friend chicken?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Korean friend chicken?
Trust me, Koreans and Chickens are hardly friends. I'm sure Koreans love chickens, who doesnt? But Chickens? Probably less friendly. Understandable.

Although I must admit that Koreans know how to cook a chicken!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #77
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Trust me, Koreans and Chickens are hardly friends. I'm sure Koreans love chickens, who doesnt? But Chickens? Probably less friendly. Understandable.

Although I must admit that Koreans know how to cook a chicken!
Ah, I thought it was someone's Korean friend's chicken
Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #78
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
The best ice cream cone is the Chocolate Tiger at D Dutchmen Dairy in Sicamous. Always hit it up on the way through to the Okanagan.
D Dutchmen ice cream is junk. I like their milk, but they should stick to that.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #79
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been meaning to reply to this thread for a while but forgot about it when it left the front page. I was recently back in Calgary after a few years away and noticed many changes:

-The skyline has drastically changed with the formerly dominating Calgary Tower, Petro Canada building, and Bankers Hall Towers how dwarfed by the new towers.

-The eastern portion of the ring road is complete. It is a nice wide road and a good way to bypass the Deerfoot however why are there lights on the bisecting roads? There was plenty of room for full clover leafs.

-The East Village/St Patricks Island area has been transformed from a sketchy no go zone to a cool family friendly area.

-There is a new massive hospital in the SE filling a big need for that part of the city. I still think Calgary would be better off having 8 smaller hospitals spread throughout the city however.

-Lots of new art everywhere. My favourite is the big blue ring

-My favourite sandwich shop, SubMission, is no more

-Chicken on the way has undergone an expansion across the city. I'm not sure if this is due to an increase in demand for fried chicken or swingers clubs. Speaking of fried chicken, Popeyes is awesome but its' location is not.

-Shawarma places have also undergone an expansion from a few spots in Kensington/the inner city to now filling up the suburbs. It now has to be the 2nd most populous food choice after Vietnamese.

-Big Rock beer has changed their labeling. I don't like it.

Also, to weigh into the ice cream debate, I am too good for anything called "ice cream" and will only eat gelato. Amato Gelato on Kensington road was always my favourite.