Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2023, 02:54 PM   #2881
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Google has been working on their version of air tags that will work with any android phone (project Grogu) but they've been really silent about it of late. Air tags are really the best solution right now.

Tile only works within Bluetooth range (few hundred feet), not against a network of devices, which is what air tags does with apple devices and what Grogu hopes to do with android devices.

Apple really has this market cornered right now.
Well, it's cornered for Apple people, but I have a Samsung so I use SmartTags. I would have bought AirTags, but you can't use those on any Androids.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:05 PM   #2882
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really wish the eco systems were more compatible between mobile phones. Sometimes it feels like they lock you in because they know the initial product is inferior. If things are so damn great people will buy it regardless not because of eco system.

I hate the iphone and want to switch back to android but now my watch and airtags are useless. I don't really use either that much but find my is handy at times. Such a pain in the ass and just getting worse.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:14 PM   #2883
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What about Samsung SmartTags?
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SmartT...eeb9c44c68818c

Similar to an AirTag, but better if you are an Android guy. I have SmartTags in my son's car, daughter's car, my bike, and my backback, my pack of fake darts that I bring around with me. They're awesome.
fixed

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #2884
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I am not a gamer but there looks to be progress in the Mac gaming department.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/7/23...ws-games-macos

I use a macbook and an ASUS (the ASUS with an OLED screen is a fantastic laptop) and use Barrier as a software KVM to control them both. I use to use just the Mac with a Windows VM but that with multiple monitors sucked the life out of the Mac.
Use the Mac with a cloud-windows VM and RDP to it instead of internal. Parallels is still a frustrating experience. Windows 10 or 11 through the Apple RDP client even on IOS (ipad) is actually a great and hilarious experience with full touch enabled.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:38 PM   #2885
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Use the Mac with a cloud-windows VM and RDP to it instead of internal. Parallels is still a frustrating experience. Windows 10 or 11 through the Apple RDP client even on IOS (ipad) is actually a great and hilarious experience with full touch enabled.
Yes, I have done that. RDP on Mac is great. No idea why they can't do something similar on Windows. Need the bigger iPad though, 11" is a little too small for control. I also use a wide screen monitor so it messes it up a little more.

I don't use an internal Mac VM. All VMware or RDP into a physical system. Virtual Box is pretty good though for a free VM software.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2023, 12:02 AM   #2886
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Back to the tracker thing. If they have phones you can share location in Google maps between android and iphone. Anything that can run Google maps really. I can share my daughter's iPhone through Google maps and see it on any device I am logged into my google account with. I even see it in Google maps on my iPad. I ditched my iPhone so I wanted to double check that this still works and it does just fine.

Trackers may be the way to go especially if they can be clipped or fastened somehow.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:14 PM   #2887
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just following up on the tracker story if anyone's interested.

We were using both the Android Find My Phone and Google Map's location sharing capability.

We had initial issues as dad had an uncanny ability to turn on airplane mode and then in one instance, turn off mobile data on his phone. These obviously prevented any tracking. Removing airplane mode from the shortcut list helped a lot though.

We also found that Find My Phone seems to fail if the phone is not used periodically. Often it will not update until dad actually does something with his phone, which can be days sometimes.

The location sharing in maps seems to work better, but several times it will also fail to update on demand, and we will instead get a location that is an hour or more out of date.

This also doesn't help the fact that mom doesn't have a phone, only dad. While they are usually together, that isn't always the case.

We just got the airtags and I've removed the speakers successfully. Going to drop them off with my parents today and see how it goes.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #2888
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can understand the stalking aspect and how they can be abused. I wish there was a better method thoug. Im going to be honest hearing those things chirp in an office of over 300 people when everyone puts one into their laptop bags and then leaves for lunch or to another area of the office is seriously crazy.

Not to mention the 70+ “AirTag found moving with you” messages I get.

Now to be fair, I have these in a few things of mine as well so I’m part of the problem. But I like to complain.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #2889
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I can understand the stalking aspect and how they can be abused. I wish there was a better method thoug. Im going to be honest hearing those things chirp in an office of over 300 people when everyone puts one into their laptop bags and then leaves for lunch or to another area of the office is seriously crazy.

Not to mention the 70+ “AirTag found moving with you” messages I get.

Now to be fair, I have these in a few things of mine as well so I’m part of the problem. But I like to complain.
I think your employer needs to crack down on the 24 hour-long lunches then. AirTags don't emit audible chirps unless they've been separated from their owner (or away from a home zone) for 24 hours.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:58 PM   #2890
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
I now realize that people are not coming into the office and I just assumed they were on lunch.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:32 PM   #2891
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty cool video showing the differences between an Apple cable and some cheaper alternatives.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:38 AM   #2892
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than an excuse to make expensive cables, I never understood why they put the chip in the cable and not on the device. I don't see the benefit in that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:13 AM   #2893
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Why are they comparing a Thunderbolt cable with USB-C?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:15 AM   #2894
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Why are they comparing a Thunderbolt cable with USB-C?
The connectors are the same?

It is a very confusing differentiation to figure out at first (USB C vs Thunderbolt).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:04 PM   #2895
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The connectors are the same?

It is a very confusing differentiation to figure out at first (USB C vs Thunderbolt).
True. They’re both USB-C because that’s the connector name. One is Thunderbolt and the other is some form of USB.

To Fuzz, that’s why they have a chip. To tell the devices what kind of cable they are so the correct amount of power and data gets transmitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 01:32 PM   #2896
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have never had issues in the past with systems being able to detect USB-C/Display Port/TB2/TB3/TB4 why is it an issue now? Because Apple almost Introduced TB3 into the iphone?

It's a money grab nothing more.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:57 PM   #2897
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm going to fire away anyway...

We are trying to pull old photos out of an Iphone 3, but don't remember the code. Is there any workaround, or way to get the code, before getting locked out and losing everything forever?
Old 11-24-2023, 09:23 AM   #2898
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
True. They’re both USB-C because that’s the connector name. One is Thunderbolt and the other is some form of USB.

To Fuzz, that’s why they have a chip. To tell the devices what kind of cable they are so the correct amount of power and data gets transmitted.
Thunderbolt 1 is 10 Gbps, Thunderbolt 2 is 20 Gbps and Thunderbolt 3/4 transfers at 40 Gbps.

USB 3.1 via USB C is 10 Gbps.

I have a Razer Core external GPU. It took me too damn long to realize there was a TB3 laptop port requirement and cable requirement. Why other cables or certain laptops were not working took me too damn long to realize. I wouldn't be surprised if many others were confused by this differentiation right now.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #2899
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm going to fire away anyway...

We are trying to pull old photos out of an Iphone 3, but don't remember the code. Is there any workaround, or way to get the code, before getting locked out and losing everything forever?
Long shot... can you see the original fingerprints on the screen to attempt to guess the pin? There are ways IIRC, but it also depends on whether you want to pay or not. Just make sure you don't accidentally wipe the phone by failing too many times.

I've never done this type of recovery of data on a phone before though.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 01:36 PM   #2900
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Thunderbolt 1 is 10 Gbps, Thunderbolt 2 is 20 Gbps and Thunderbolt 3/4 transfers at 40 Gbps.

USB 3.1 via USB C is 10 Gbps.

I have a Razer Core external GPU. It took me too damn long to realize there was a TB3 laptop port requirement and cable requirement. Why other cables or certain laptops were not working took me too damn long to realize. I wouldn't be surprised if many others were confused by this differentiation right now.
USB standards are frustrating. You’re talking about USB 3.1 Gen 2. USB 3.1 Gen 1 was USB 3.0 before they renamed it. Wtf?

Edit: I think I’m wrong but it’s not worth looking up.