Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #541
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
non-Edmonton based bar that serves only macro beers and deep fried garbage at inflated prices because they have a roof-top patio.
I never go, I'm a Blackbird man myself.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #542
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see that The Goose on Elbow Drive is permanently closed. Very disappointing.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #543
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I see that The Goose on Elbow Drive is permanently closed. Very disappointing.
That location is cursed. It’s been about six different restaurants in the last 20 years.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #544
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I was gonna say 3 of those were in the last few years, but a quick google of the address brings up: The Goose, D'Vine Diner, Atikus Bar & Grill, The Black Sheep, The Horny Toad, Castle Pizza & Steak House and a Splitt Pourhouse in the first 6 pages of results. Damn.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #545
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I was gonna say 3 of those were in the last few years, but a quick google of the address brings up: The Goose, D'Vine Diner, Atikus Bar & Grill, The Black Sheep, The Horny Toad, Castle Pizza & Steak House and a Splitt Pourhouse in the first 6 pages of results. Damn.
I remember them all but Splitt- and other than the Goose I think they all closed for a reason- none were memorable other than in a "I'm not going there again" way...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #546
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That location is cursed. It’s been about six different restaurants in the last 20 years.
The building that Halo used to be in next to the cheap theatre in Canyon Meadows is also cursed. It's open again with something new now but not sure what the latest one is. I give it a year
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #547
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
The building that Halo used to be in next to the cheap theatre in Canyon Meadows is also cursed. It's open again with something new now but not sure what the latest one is. I give it a year
True!

Since we are talking about cursed locations, what is now Calavera on 130th Ave SE has been way too many different restaurants since that building's been constructed.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #548
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just for fun, what other cursed locations for restaurants are there around the city? I'd be curious what commonalities we'd find if we looked at a large enough batch.

'The Goose' on Elbow Drive & 'Halo' on Macleod Trail both seem to be stand alone buildings within a larger parking lot, but that can't be the only reason as PZA on Southland & Macleod seems to be rolling along just fine with a similar satellite building.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #549
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Just for fun, what other cursed locations for restaurants are there around the city? I'd be curious what commonalities we'd find if we looked at a large enough batch.

'The Goose' on Elbow Drive & 'Halo' on Macleod Trail both seem to be stand alone buildings within a larger parking lot, but that can't be the only reason as PZA on Southland & Macleod seems to be rolling along just fine with a similar satellite building.
Corner of 10th st NW and Memorial. I think it's a pot shop now, but many many restaurants have failed there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #550
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Where Porch just opened up on 17th is a definite cursed location, the spot next to Trolley 5. Feel like nothing lasts there more than a year or two, we will see how well this Porch does, haven’t been there yet.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #551
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

1919 - 4 ST SW, seems to have a yearly new venue, although College Bar, seems to be holding on.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #552
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Corner of 10th st NW and Memorial. I think it's a pot shop now, but many many restaurants have failed there.
My theory on that one was that being where it was, and where most of the parking is in Kensington, pretty much no matter what it was you had to walk past a better version of whatever it was to get there.

Add that to the fact that it's not really getting much foot traffic, as almost no one approaches Kensington from Memorial drive, and you've got a recipe for a place that will be empty most of the time.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #553
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's my childhood neighborhood, and I think that's a story that goes back more than 20 years. can't believe I'm blanking on the name but during my elementary years it was one stable restaurant- pizza etc- we'd go for there for medium- big occasions, but I would say ever since- 35 years or more its been constant turnover

actually the more I think about it- I think the original place (mentioned above) was Castle Pizza and Steak house- but I don't think (despite the google hit) it has been that for a long time- at least 20 years- but keen to be proven wrong if people have better memories than I do

Last edited by looooob; 11-25-2021 at 04:32 PM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #554
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
that's my childhood neighborhood, and I think that's a story that goes back more than 20 years. can't believe I'm blanking on the name but during my elementary years it was one stable restaurant- pizza etc- we'd go for there for medium- big occasions, but I would say ever since- 35 years or more its been constant turnover

actually the more I think about it- I think the original place (mentioned above) was Castle Pizza and Steak house- but I don't think (despite the google hit) it has been that for a long time- at least 20 years- but keen to be proven wrong if people have better memories than I do
It was Castle until around the late 90s. That’s when the carousel began.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #555
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was Castle until around the late 90s. That’s when the carousel began.
thanks- that checks out- I lived out of town for most of the 90s so wasn't really when in that period it flipped over from Castle-
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #556
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I personally think the Goose could have done well had it not opened right before Covid. It was really good food and friendly staff.

It's a bit of a no man's land though for a nice restaurant. It seems to be a lot of older folk in that area, plus a lot of lower income housing. There's nicer communities and people with money really close by, but just not quite close enough it seems. And a little too far away to be part of the Mcleod trail zone of bars/restaurants.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #557
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Whoever gets it next just has to go back to "neighbourhood pub" and don't aspire above that, and I bet you'll get all the locals out for affordable mid range pub food and drinks with the game.

The flashy location along a major road gives false hope that you can be a "Destination" bar/restaurant. Most people driving past are driving another 15-30 minutes to their houses, though.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-25-2021 at 10:44 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #558
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Whoever gets it next just has to go back to "neighbourhood pub" and don't aspire above that, and I bet you'll get all the locals out for affordable mid range pub food and drinks with the game.

The flashy location along a major road gives false hope that you can be a "Destination" bar/restaurant. Most people driving past are driving another 15-30 minutes to their houses, though.
Bitter Sisters is in the vicinity and seems to be doing well. The patio helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #559
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

My advice would be similar, go lower end and dont aspire to be the next Hy's. It always boggled my mind to see some of the higher end ones come in there. They could have so much more foot traffic if they catered to people going to the cheap theatre. Make a partnership with the theatre to offer dinner & date nights for a lower rate. No one paying $5 for a movie is going to pay $50 for a steak.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #560
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

Edmonton Trail and 7th Ave across from Diner Deluxe seems to be a rotating restaurant location as well. It looks like it's getting renovated/changed again but Blowers & Grafton used to be there.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote