Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #2161
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Remember that time you kinda did though, and we all wished you didn't.
Nah, lots of people loved it too. Perhaps you didn't, and same with your band of CP brothers, which is fine. Having a combined sports hockey/fieldhouse/sports district would have been hella awesome.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:19 PM   #2162
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Naw. If I had the smoking gun, I'd share it. This is such massive news, it would change the world forever. You would forever solidify your reputation and become the leading authority if you successfully proved the existence of aliens. Worried about your career? You'd instantly be an historical figure.
That's some Hollywood-level black-and-white altruism, I'll give you that. I wish you the best of luck with that line of thinking if put in that spot. You'll need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lol. Comparing it to confidential information about rec projects.
Swing and a miss, my friend. It's not about the information, it's the process.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:33 PM   #2163
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Nah, lots of people loved it too
Name them.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #2164
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

People in the past have had their families, job and life threatened to be ruined by spilling the beans on their sightings and experiences. Not to mention serious amounts of jail time if people break their NDAs and don't follow process for declassification

It's easy for the "#### it I'll sqawk" conjecture, but if you were in the same spot, it's really not that easy.

It's like people saying they'd knock someone out in a fight, but if they actually got into one, most people would just freeze or run away. Small man syndrome.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:35 PM   #2165
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Name them.
Ozy.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 07:41 PM   #2166
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
People in the past have had their families, job and life threatened to be ruined by spilling the beans on their sightings and experiences. Not to mention serious amounts of jail time if people break their NDAs and don't follow process for declassification
So they knowingly tip toe around it? come on.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #2167
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
So they knowingly tip toe around it? come on.
Yep. Especially when Congress starts clearing a path for them like we are witnessing in real time.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:05 PM   #2168
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Name them.
Sure! A Mainstreet poll conducted in 2016 had respondents 41% in favour of, 40% against, and 20% undecided:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgarian...rena-1.3070877

Based on this poll, just as many people loved it (if not slightly more) as ones that hated it.

And our current premier supported the project:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3339148/c...naheed-nenshi/

Quote:
“I think people are going to be pretty disappointed about it [cancelling the project],” she added. “I think [Nenshi] kind of over-stepped his mark.”
And did you know the West Village location was still being discussed as a potential arena location as early as this past Spring?

https://livewirecalgary.com/2023/02/...town-location/

CalgaryNEXT failed for several reasons, but the ambitious nature of the project was an incredibly bold vision at the time, and for that area of the city. There's only a handful of unique sports infrastructure like this that existed in the the world at the time. 2015 or 2023, we need a new arena and stadium any way you look at it. The CNEXT concept should have been developed much further (it was only conceptual at the time, which was one of its flaws since people wanted a more concrete, further-along design), but those aren't my decisions. A combined hockey arena/football stadium sports district would have been an amazing development if it worked out.

Just because you hated the idea, doesn't mean that everyone else did too.

Anyways, back to UFOs....
Old 08-02-2023, 08:31 PM   #2169
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Maybe ask Valentin Broeksmit about the dangers of being a whistleblower. Be careful where you hold that smoking gun. You can end up dead by crossing the wrong people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...sing-rcna26382

A lot of whistleblowers end up dead by suicide.

http://eskify.com/10-whistleblowers-...-mysteriously/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/prison-whi...ry?id=69530523
Lazar is telling everyone who will listen about aliens and the confidential information he observed.

Presumably is their was a cover up, he would have been offed by now, as any single thing he is saying could lead to the discovery of confidential information.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #2170
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

It's easy for the "#### it I'll sqawk" conjecture, but if you were in the same spot, it's really not that easy.

It's like people saying they'd knock someone out in a fight, but if they actually got into one, most people would just freeze or run away. Small man syndrome.
No, you’re thinking of people who hang out online saying they’d hit people “in real life.” People who say they’d knock someone out might not actually knock someone out, but they’re usually game to throw punches.

I think the point people are making is that the threshold between showing what you got and saying you got it and people who say you don’t are liars… isn’t very far.

Maybe people are just used to that fact that the world has seen plenty of whistleblowers risking a lot more for a lot less. And you’re saying someone won’t show evidence of what could be one of the biggest, life changing things our society has ever seen? Something that could change our understanding of the universe and ourselves entirely? Pretty cowardly.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #2171
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
One of my favourite UFO/UAP stories is the 1994 Ariel School incident in Zimbabwe. Many (kids at the time) witnesses seeing the same thing, and then each drawing what they saw (separate from each other). The following is a 10-minute clip from The Phenomenon (which is one of the better-made UFO documentaries out there).

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4760
Old 08-02-2023, 09:07 PM   #2172
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1686772875347349506

An opinion piece by retired Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet on the subject.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:17 PM   #2173
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Cowardly to to one, patriotic to others. Depends who's judging.

Ask yourself - do the whistleblowers who could spill the beans have the same motivation as you? Or anyone else? Do they approach life decisions the same way?

There's a certain hubris to think everyone would use the same YOLO logic as those who would think of them as cowards.

Mark Felt would be spinning in his grave if he thought it was just that easy.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:18 PM   #2174
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Rear Admiral.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:20 PM   #2175
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

So, the theory is these whistleblowers are just not very good at blowing whistles? "Oh, I know things... all kinds of things... but I can't tell you those things, 'cause that'd be breaking confidentiality agreements. Oh, and by the way, since I'm not breaking the *letter* of those agreements, I'll just continue on merrily in my career, free of consequences, because these shadowy government entities that do almost anything to cover up their secrets are impotent when confronted by legal niceties."
Old 08-02-2023, 09:21 PM   #2176
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePaint View Post
That's a good read.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 09:24 PM   #2177
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Also, a great thread about David Grusch and the Tic Tac incident:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1686923288050843649
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 09:42 PM   #2178
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, but how many times are we going to see

Here it comes!
Get ready!
Buckle up!

before anything substantial (more than radar imagery of a dot or secondhand accounts sans evidence) will reach the public?

I want there to be truth to it, but this continually being fed underwhelming material that puts us nowhere closer and that the skeptics can easily dismiss is getting old.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:50 PM   #2179
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Again, if you're expecting an alien body dropped on a table, or a spaceship crashed on aunt Karen's front lawn and it's on the 10 o'clock news, you're never going to be satisfied the way it's a really playing out in reality (congressional oversight, NDAA, AARO, hearings, etc). It's probably not going to be a Hollywood script that plays out like a predictable story arc.

Until that golden moment happens, you work with what you're given as a normal member of public.

I think we're all waiting that smoking gun. Until then, enjoy what you can and ignore what doesn't do it for you.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:57 PM   #2180
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Spatial Precision

An answer to why we’ve not been visited from the future?

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-time-travel/

Quote:
Let’s take the Earth’s motion around the Sun. A month of orbit corresponds to moving in an arc of approximately 78 million kilometers. During that same period the entire solar system will have also moved approximately 600 million kilometers around our galaxy, and our entire Local Group of galaxies will have swept through about 1.7 billion kilometers of space relative to the cosmic microwave background. Not only do you need to traverse those kinds of distances, you need to get it correct to within a part in a trillion.

In other words: your time travel device has to be exceedingly good at figuring out where in the universe to place you, not just when.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: