Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #2521
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This aged poorly quickly.
Wasn't yesterday just an announcement of the approval of the plan, unlocking the provincial/federal government contribution previously declared (the amounts remaining the same), or did the Fed/Province increase amounts?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #2522
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This aged poorly quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Wasn't yesterday just an announcement of the approval of the plan, unlocking the provincial/federal government contribution previously declared (the amounts remaining the same), or did the Fed/Province increase amounts?
Just a re-announcement of previously committed funds (feds) and approval of funding that was already promised (province). No new money yesterday. Would have been nice to see Trudeau announce additional funding yesterday to allow construction of what has now been cut from the project - ie north portion, or at least to 16th Ave. Or push it all the way to Seton too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #2523
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does this arena deal look like an uprise or does it look like bad memory?
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #2524
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
OK, but are the other points accurate, or more accurate than what the poster I quoted spits out daily on this board?
Go run the numbers on property taxes in Calgary for when Nenshi came in and what they are now.

Convenient things to ignore, but considerations that need to be included before you come back:

- Inflation
- The complete collapse of the downtown tax base due to an industry deciding to roll over and die
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #2525
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Go run the numbers on property taxes in Calgary for when Nenshi came in and what they are now.

Convenient things to ignore, but considerations that need to be included before you come back:

- Inflation
- The complete collapse of the downtown tax base due to an industry deciding to roll over and die
And then compare them to other large municipalities in Canada.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #2526
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

- Inflation
Hmm...in fairness, its not as though this was 'Plan A.' They had a lot of help.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #2527
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419730258572431360
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #2528
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

boo, CMLC out really harms the public's stake in the project IMO.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #2529
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. I was originally skeptical, but I have really come around on CMLC being a competent PM and bringing a lot of value to the city. I really hope we don't look back on this as the point that any public benefit fell off the table.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #2530
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I have zero knowledge about how the project was organized/run, but losing CMLC may speed the project up. Unfortunately that will probably be because (I think) CMLC would have really pushed to ensure a high quality design aesthetic. If CSEC is making design decisions, I fear for quality of design. Aesthetic sensibility is the first place most clients are willing to cut costs.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #2531
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. I was originally skeptical, but I have really come around on CMLC being a competent PM and bringing a lot of value to the city. I really hope we don't look back on this as the point that any public benefit fell off the table.
My insiders are telling me just the opposite - they were far from a competent manager.

This is a big step forward.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #2532
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
At this point, paying an extra $12.5 million to not have to worry about any additional costs seems somewhat reasonable.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:18 PM   #2533
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
At this point, paying an extra $12.5 million to not have to worry about any additional costs seems somewhat reasonable.
Apparently that $12.5 million extra was already in the original agreement. $25 million of additional costs were agreed to be split 50/50 if it was needed.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #2534
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can confirm, there was a clause that stated up to $25m of eligible cost overruns would be split 50/50 by city/CSEC.

City has no ability to throw the brakes on with CMLC out, but their obligations to project are also very clearly defined now, so it seems like a reasonable trade-off.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #2535
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I have zero knowledge about how the project was organized/run, but losing CMLC may speed the project up. Unfortunately that will probably be because (I think) CMLC would have really pushed to ensure a high quality design aesthetic. If CSEC is making design decisions, I fear for quality of design. Aesthetic sensibility is the first place most clients are willing to cut costs.

With CMLC out, it doesn’t necessarily mean that CSEC will be leading the design phase. It would likely mean there will be another PM team to replace them.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #2536
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
With CMLC out, it doesn’t necessarily mean that CSEC will be leading the design phase. It would likely mean there will be another PM team to replace them.
I certainly hope so. Otherwise we may wind up having a bright red arena with blue flag patches all over it.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #2537
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I certainly hope so. Otherwise we may wind up having a bright red arena with blue flag patches all over it.

I’m picturing Murray Edwards on MS Paint or his Etch-a-Sketch

JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #2538
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll keep an open mind until the plans come out but my first thought is this isn't good.

CMLC did a great job on the EV but that was under the former President. Is the question of competence due to the new person/people at the top?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #2539
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I don't know enough about what CMLC does on a project like this, but they're still running the overall Rivers District development and the city is still involved in the arena project, so I can't see it becoming some sort of massive divergence from the original plan.

I also don't see any incentive for the Flames to not want the building to integrate with the overall plan for the district.

Also, based on the comments from a couple of weeks ago when this first broke, it didn't sound like CMLC was involved in the design work on the project up to this point anyway. They wouldn't have become involved until the project was ready to start construction and then, they'd be executing the agreed-upon design between the City and CSEC.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #2540
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Inverted bowl design is out

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419746720452333575
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: