Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #1181
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
There is no such thing as the "Coast Salish Nation". And there's no chief of it. ####ing terrible reporting.

The article has been updated.

Quote:
A previous version of this story misidentified Doug Kelly's title. He is Grand Chief of the Stó:lō Tribal Council.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:17 PM   #1182
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I think this is perfectly indicative of how well the media handled this story.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #1183
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
There is no such thing as the "Coast Salish Nation". And there's no chief of it. ####ing terrible reporting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Sto:lo is in the Upper Fraser Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 12-16-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #1184
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the framing of the issue surrounding the Canucks logo by the media a bit disingenuous. Maybe the actual issue is too nuanced for the media. The issue isn't that it's "offensive", but that a corporation is profiting off the image of vulnerable communities without any distribution of the wealth to said community. Even if the communities don't "claim" the art, the logo is overtly evoking indigenous imagery.

Is it appropriate in 2020 for corporations to profit off the likeness of vulnerable groups and say it's "honouring" them? Does "honouring them" help those communities suffering from the clean water crisis? The reserves with infant mortality rates that are on par with developing nations? The systemic poverty affecting indigenous communities? No, it's lip service to make a profit.

I personally believe that the "offensive/not offensive" conversation spurious, and exactly what corporations like the Aquilini group would love us to have instead of the real issue.

I think this is a larger socioeconomic issue than just the Canucks logo.
If that becomes our moral consensus, then I expect sports teams and other corporations will simply stop using real-world cultural imagery in their marketing altogether. It’s not clear to me how that will actually make anyone’s lives better.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #1185
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If that becomes our moral consensus, then I expect sports teams and other corporations will simply stop using real-world cultural imagery in their marketing altogether. It’s not clear to me how that will actually make anyone’s lives better.
As I stated in this exact thread almost a decade ago, it's not about ethnic imagery but ethnocentric imagery. When a company is the sole profiteer off products that evoke vulnerable communities, I think there needs to be a serious discussion about the ethics.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1186
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As I stated in this exact thread almost a decade ago, it's not about ethnic imagery but ethnocentric imagery. When a company is the sole profiteer off products that evoke vulnerable communities, I think there needs to be a serious discussion about the ethics.

I am not sure they really profit from the imagery directly. I would wager their merchandise sales are pretty much 100% because they are a hockey club and people will buy the merchandise regardless of the logo.

Removing the imagery will reduce exposure and audience of the artistic style, which is fine if that is what people want. Salish artists don't need the Canucks promoting anything for them.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #1187
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But ongoing controversy won’t spark a serious discussion about ethics. It will just make the Canucks drop the orca logo.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #1188
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am not sure they really profit from the imagery directly. I would wager their merchandise sales are pretty much 100% because they are a hockey club and people will buy the merchandise regardless of the logo.

Removing the imagery will reduce exposure and audience of the artistic style, which is fine if that is what people want. Salish artists don't need the Canucks promoting anything for them.
While I agree with you they are profiting off being a hockey team and they will sell product no matter what's on the jersey, the logo they use to market themselves is still evoking indigenous art. Indirectly they are profiting off the appropriation of that art.

I don't even think it's necessary to remove it, but I think there needs to be an update to the terms and conditions of usage of this sort of imagery. Whether it's x% of all sales with this logo go to directly to communities or some form of federal support.

I'm not advocating for the removal of indigenous art, I'm saying we should be holding corporations more accountable for how they use it.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #1189
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But ongoing controversy won’t spark a serious discussion about ethics. It will just make the Canucks drop the orca logo.
Again, it doesn't have to. Which is why the angle this was reported is particularly upsetting. No one, even the indigenous people, want the logo dropped. But there should be a serious discussion about a private, white owned, corporation indirectly profiteering off their culture without any financial compensation.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #1190
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, it doesn't have to. Which is why the angle this was reported is particularly upsetting. No one, even the indigenous people, want the logo dropped. But there should be a serious discussion about a private, white owned, corporation indirectly profiteering off their culture without any financial compensation.
Just because art originated from a culture I fail to see how they own any interpretations of it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #1191
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just because art originated from a culture I fail to see how they own any interpretations of it.
We're not discussing Italian or Irish cultural imagery which has allowed immigrants and their decedents to integrate into Canadian society. We're discussing a group of people that historically were:

- Almost driven to extinction due to European action during colonialization, including intentional spread of disease, displacement and cutting off food supply

- From 1876 until the first world war, they were essentially prisoners on the reserves due to the Indian Act restrictions

- Experienced the Residential School System from 1847 until 1996 where our government attempted and almost successfully committed genocide.

Currently this group of people are:

- Systemically targeted and persecuted by the Canadian Criminal Justice System, being comically over represented in Canadian prisons. They represent only 4% of the total Canadian population yet account for 30% of all federal inmates. When compared to white Canadians, they are disproportionally arrested, charged, charged with multiple offences, found guilty, and serve jail time.

- Indigenous reserves have an infant mortality rate that is on the level of developing nations.

- Indigenous Canadians have a dropout rate 2.3 times higher than the national average

- A life expectancy over 10 years less than the national average

- A 14% unemployment rate

We are discussing a vulnerable group that our country has attempted to eliminate for centuries, continuing still today. These are groups that are, and I don't mean this figuratively, struggling to survive. Do you think it's appropriate for corporations to appropriate pieces of their art and culture without any financial compensation?

Last edited by Cole436; 12-17-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #1192
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Settler society - Invests heavily in eliminating Indigenous languages
Settler society - Outlaws cultural practices such as the sun dance and potlach
Settler society - "Its still cool if we use your art for profit though right?"
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #1193
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We are discussing a vulnerable group that our country has attempted to eliminate for centuries, continuing still today. These are groups that are, and I don't mean this figuratively, struggling to survive. Do you think it's appropriate for corporations to appropriate pieces of their art and culture without any financial compensation?
Just wanted to add a couple more stats that blew my mind and never knew about, considering how much the topic of systemic racism is being pushed:
  • The suicide rate among First Nations people was 24.3 deaths per 100,000 person-years at risk, which StatsCan says is “roughly understood as number of deaths per persons per year.” That is compared to eight deaths per 100,000 person-years at risk for non-Indigenous people.
  • In May 2018, there were 174 drinking water advisories in over 100 First Nations. Some of the advisories date as far back as 1995 – like Shoal Lake 40 First Nation. A single drinking water advisory can mean as many at 5,000 people lack access to safe, clean drinking water.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #1194
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Just wanted to add a couple more stats that blew my mind and never knew about, considering how much the topic of systemic racism is being pushed:
  • The suicide rate among First Nations people was 24.3 deaths per 100,000 person-years at risk, which StatsCan says is “roughly understood as number of deaths per persons per year.” That is compared to eight deaths per 100,000 person-years at risk for non-Indigenous people.
  • In May 2018, there were 174 drinking water advisories in over 100 First Nations. Some of the advisories date as far back as 1995 – like Shoal Lake 40 First Nation. A single drinking water advisory can mean as many at 5,000 people lack access to safe, clean drinking water.
It's not only upsetting, but magnifies how deep racism goes in our country when this conversation is ignored and dismissed in our national discourse.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #1195
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You are correct. It isn’t clear. It’s actually a exceedingly more complex, and starts to question what is in the commons or public domain of society, especially with respect to intellectual property.

No team can call themselves the “______ Mickey Mice” without having the tentacles Disney down their throat in 2 seconds.

Historically there has been regulation on what is in the private vs. public domain through trademarks, patents, intellectual property law etc.

Mickey Mouse has been in existence for 92 years. Is that a long enough time to make a buck off of creative content?

Disney keeps getting copyright extended to protect their private interests, despite consistently using the public domain to generate content (Pinocchio etc.)

Is this ethical or beneficial to society? Is it coming to an end in 2023?

That’s an interesting question. This question is kicked around in the documentary “Beware of Images”

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #1196
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's your opinion to which you are entitled to. Again I will say that artforms aren't owned by anyone. If the art is a cultural slight like the Cleveland Indians logo then I get that but no amount of reason from you will convince me the Canucks are entitled to paying them anything for that logo.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #1197
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dp

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-17-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #1198
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well that's your opinion to which you are entitled to. Again I will say that artforms aren't owned by anyone. If the art is a cultural slight like the Cleveland Indians logo then I get that but no amount of reason from you will convince me the Canucks are entitled to paying them anything for that logo.
I think that opinion would receive a lot of pushback if you told it to cultures who find their art to be an important part of their identity.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #1199
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

John Fogerty once got sued by his record company for sounding too much like John Fogerty. Intellectual Property is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #1200
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We're not discussing Italian or Irish cultural imagery which has allowed immigrants and their decedents to integrate into Canadian society. We're discussing a group of people that historically were:

- Almost driven to extinction due to European action during colonialization, including intentional spread of disease, displacement and cutting off food supply

- From 1876 until the first world war, they were essentially prisoners on the reserves due to the Indian Act restrictions

- Experienced the Residential School System from 1847 until 1996 where our government attempted and almost successfully committed genocide.

Currently this group of people are:

- Systemically targeted and persecuted by the Canadian Criminal Justice System, being comically over represented in Canadian prisons. They represent only 4% of the total Canadian population yet account for 30% of all federal inmates. When compared to white Canadians, they are disproportionally arrested, charged, charged with multiple offences, found guilty, and serve jail time.

- Indigenous reserves have an infant mortality rate that is on the level of developing nations.

- Indigenous Canadians have a dropout rate 2.3 times higher than the national average

- A life expectancy over 10 years less than the national average

- A 14% unemployment rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I acknowledge all these stats, I agree that there is systemic racism against indigenous people, and I still don't think that it should obligate anyone to pay something like a licensing fee or a tax to use a broad artistic style. Nobody should own styles of art any more than anyone owns a language or a genre. These are things that thrive or die depending on how many people use them. Their broad use should be embraced and their death is the least desirable outcome for anyone who cares about them.

Ideas like forcing the Canucks to pay compensation may come from a place of good intent (including but not limited to hatred of the Canucks), but I think they also diminish discussion of more substantial issues such as decolonization. Expressions of injustice made on behalf of indigenous people in relation to appropriation also often strike me as subtle propagation of the myth of the noble savage and seem maybe a bit infantilizing of indigenous people.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: