Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #321
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Marner got one that starts with a 1 and he is not the best player on his team. Same for Tavares.
Let's copy Toronto.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #322
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day the loss of Gaudreau and Tkachuk (not saying it will/would happen) would probably initiate a rebuild in 2023 (the Bedard draft for those that are wondering)
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #323
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
New Jersey has to be considered a team that will go heavy after Johnny if he gets to the open market. They have a ton of cap space and a bunch of young up and coming players so they can pay big money and offer a market much closer to home.
Agreed that the Devils will be a player if Gaudreau becomes available. They’re ramping up out of their rebuild and have lots of cap space. And I expect they would be on any short list of trade destinations Gaudreau provides.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #324
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I do hope you are right. But if the Olympic break comes and we are 2-3 points in/out of the playoffs (most likely scenario IMO), are we really trading him? I find that hard to picture...
Or solidly in a playoff spot for that matter. He doesn't get traded then either.

Unless it's a trade for futures and use those futures get used in a deadline deal.

Gaudreau walking for nothing is certainly a possibility. The Islanders survived something similar.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #325
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
True, he will be signed or traded. The trade return will enrage many fans. The time to get anything substantial for Johnny has passed.
I think it would depend on his production this year. If he is at a point per game pace, I think his trade value will be just fine. He is a very talented player in this league and I think at times gets under valued.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #326
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
I think it would depend on his production this year. If he is at a point per game pace, I think his trade value will be just fine. He is a very talented player in this league and I think at times gets under valued.
Not knocking the player. Just that trading at the deadline or even winter is strictly a rental scenario. A pick at most.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #327
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not knocking the player. Just that trading at the deadline or even winter is strictly a rental scenario. A pick at most.
History says this isn't true. Plenty of rentals have gotten a Kings ransome.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #328
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sid hasn't slowed much, it's true. But sometimes that wall hits pretty hard. I'd guess, though, he has 3-4 more solid years in him.

Trading for a 2C, though - like who? And are they prepared to mortgage that much? They aren't tremendously solid in net or on D after Letang. I think they will be a good team as usual, but not a great team. I was not surprised at all they got bounced by the Isles.
Who specifically, I’m not sure.

But a top-6 centre for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd is reasonable, given what Kotkaniemi and Dvorak have moved for.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #329
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Educate me then, if you will. I wouldn't call a late first round pick a king's ransom. That's all I believe we'd end up getting.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #330
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Late pick and decent prospect is all I would expect unless the Flames eat a bad contract
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #331
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Who specifically, I’m not sure.

But a top-6 centre for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd is reasonable, given what Kotkaniemi and Dvorak have moved for.
Jesper isn’t really a good example - revenge offer sheet. Dvorak was an emergency replacement.

But if that’s your 2C, sure. I just don’t think that makes for a cup contending team, even with Sid. And I don’t think they’d pay that price unless they think it moves the needle.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #332
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Nm

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #333
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Jesper isn’t really a good example - revenge offer sheet. Dvorak was an emergency replacement.

But if that’s your 2C, sure. I just don’t think that makes for a cup contending team, even with Sid. And I don’t think they’d pay that price unless they think it moves the needle.
Maybe it’s as simple as getting Malkin back at a lesser number - 3x$6m or something.

At $9.5M, he’s an issue.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #334
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
At the end of the day the loss of Gaudreau and Tkachuk (not saying it will/would happen) would probably initiate a rebuild in 2023 (the Bedard draft for those that are wondering)
I actually think the odds of this are quite high, and it's probably for the best for everyone. The only way I see the Flames keeping Gaudreau is if they offer a contract he can't refuse. If Johnny leaves, why would Tkachuk want to stay? Unless the Flames have some miracle season, I just don't see anything enticing for these guys to want to stay. And I think it's best for both parties. The Flames desperately need a rebuild, and these guys get to go chase whatever is important to them. It's a win/win in a way other than the fact that you probably lose them for pennies on the dollar.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #335
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I actually think the odds of this are quite high, and it's probably for the best for everyone. The only way I see the Flames keeping Gaudreau is if they offer a contract he can't refuse. If Johnny leaves, why would Tkachuk want to stay? Unless the Flames have some miracle season, I just don't see anything enticing for these guys to want to stay. And I think it's best for both parties. The Flames desperately need a rebuild, and these guys get to go chase whatever is important to them. It's a win/win in a way other than the fact that you probably lose them for pennies on the dollar.
The only person this is best for is you and a few other posters who are not happy unless everything goes horribly wrong for this team and it turns into a tire fire.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #336
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nick Foligno got a 1st
Old 09-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #337
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The only person this is best for is you and a few other posters who are not happy unless everything goes horribly wrong for this team and it turns into a tire fire.
I feel Gaudreau has way more reasons to leave than stay. Sorry if that upsets you. If Gaudreau leaves this version of the Flames is probably finished.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #338
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thread has become insufferable.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #339
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Nick Foligno got a 1st
I’m not counting on Dubas to do the deal though.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #340
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
This thread has become insufferable.

heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post: