Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #181
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
one.

almost every aspect of life is in the toilet and life sucks from the moment I wake up and disappointedly realize yet again I didn't manage too die in my sleep.

can't give 3 reasons, but can easily list more than that beginning with such poor mental health it seems to paralyze me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Good for you, but I have a few issues with your heath suggestions.
I dunno man, sounds like they might be worth a try?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 10:59 AM   #182
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How would you pitch it then?

I've tried the introducing a meal or two healthy option a week scenario in the past as well only to see it fall flat. I've gone to the store, shown a nice option for around $25 for a day or two of food... "For a few bucks more I'd rather someone cook it for me".

And sometimes, they look at that couple meals a week scenarios and have their hang ups on inconvenience. Then they ask how I do things and that's another problem too, even if I tell them they don't have to do it that way. Like they view it as a slippery slope or something.
Depends what problem you’re trying to solve.

I’m talking about people who are having trouble affording meals and think cheap garbage is their only option. People who don’t like their current situation and actively want a better one but don’t know how. You seem to be talking about people who are fine to spend the money because convenience is more important, and those are two wildly different issues.

If they want to eat healthier but see convenience as the obstacle and are fine spending more money on it, show them healthier options that are still convenient (that’s where something like meal kits come in).

If they want to eat healthier but see affordability as the obstacle and are fine putting in the same effort they’re already putting in, show them healthier options that are affordable (but don’t pitch a several hundred $ start up cost).

It’s all about healthier, not “healthy.” Small changes lead to big changes.

You’re not going to make headway pulling someone into a grocery store and trying to re-design their life if they don’t already want to do that. Hell, if you’re that close to them, cook for them. Make it easy and cheap, and if they want the recipe write it down for them.

One of the biggest obstacles in bettering mental or physical health is the desire to want better. You can’t invent that in someone. You can only be there when they’re ready and meet them where they are (not where you are, or where you think they ought to be). I know we’re talking about food here, but it applies beyond it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:15 AM   #183
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some people just need to be shown how cheap and easy it can be. Like last night, I was feeling lazy so just threw something together that's almost impossible to screw up. Non-stick pan, handful of chicken thighs on full heat. Walked away because those are impossible to overcook. Came back a few minutes later, dumped in a sliced red pepper and a random unmeasured amount of fajita spice, lime juice and a splash of steak sauce. Walked away again. Came back, boiled rice, done. Bam, bull#### lazy fajita stirfry, because those were that random ingredients I had on hand. Wish I had an onion but whatever. Probably cost me $12 and you'll get a few meals out of it. Even the pan was some cheap POS. And only used up maybe 5 minutes of my attention. Plus you could do countless variations of that, use broccoli and teriyaki sauce instead, etc. No need to complicate things.

Plus it was delicious, and not fake health nut delicious like when you see someone with a dry unseasoned chicken breast with some plain rice pretending they actually enjoy that crap.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #184
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I think some people just need to be shown how cheap and easy it can be. Like last night, I was feeling lazy so just threw something together that's almost impossible to screw up. Non-stick pan, handful of chicken thighs on full heat. Walked away because those are impossible to overcook. Came back a few minutes later, dumped in a sliced red pepper and a random unmeasured amount of fajita spice, lime juice and a splash of steak sauce. Walked away again. Came back, boiled rice, done. Bam, bull#### lazy fajita stirfry, because those were that random ingredients I had on hand. Wish I had an onion but whatever. Probably cost me $12 and you'll get a few meals out of it. Even the pan was some cheap POS. And only used up maybe 5 minutes of my attention. Plus you could do countless variations of that, use broccoli and teriyaki sauce instead, etc. No need to complicate things..
This is my favorite way to cook.

"Ok what the #### is in the fridge and needs eating"

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #185
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I keep coming back to this thread and reading people's stories and it's almost a comfort to know you're not the only one struggling. Also really cool to read about people who have come out of difficult phases of their lives and are doing well.

The Current did a segment on loneliness today based on WHO stating it is a global health concern. I only caught the last few minutes but plan to listen later today.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...ays-loneliness

I'm glad this thread exists.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:38 AM   #186
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I keep coming back to this thread and reading people's stories and it's almost a comfort to know you're not the only one struggling. .
You don't know what others are dealing with.

I got a call from a buddy on Saturday night saying he was going to be unavailable for a while.

He was going into rehab to deal with some alcohol & trauma issues he has.

I have known him since Uni, he was a varsity Athlete and is a Senior VP of a large company in the US.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #187
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will add this, my sense of contentment has increased with age, not because anything in my life has changed, just that age brings perspective, I spent most of my 30's feeling like I was inadequate as I was just a crappy youth worker, never made much money compared to my mates in tech or the like, as I got older I realised being good at anything is a huge victory in and of itself and income while important is a rubbish way of judging your moral worth.

A vast amount of things that used to worry or annoy me about myself have just become irrelevant or even seem like positives now
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:48 AM   #188
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

The Current did a segment on loneliness today based on WHO stating it is a global health concern. I only caught the last few minutes but plan to listen later today.
The U.S. Surgeon General recently declared loneliness a public health crisis, and its effects on health on par with obesity and smoking. What’s especially concerning is the high rates of reported loneliness among the young. We know that social connections tend to weaken as people get older, and today’s 20 year olds already experience much less social interaction than their parents and grandparents did at the same age. This is a major problem.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 12:16 PM   #189
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The U.S. Surgeon General recently declared loneliness a public health crisis, and its effects on health on par with obesity and smoking. What’s especially concerning is the high rates of reported loneliness among the young. We know that social connections tend to weaken as people get older, and today’s 20 year olds already experience much less social interaction than their parents and grandparents did at the same age. This is a major problem.
Maybe too much screen time and not enough “go play outside” is partially to blame for the loneliness. And the pandemic certainly wouldn’t have helped.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:13 PM   #190
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mental health has been rough the past 6 months. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in May which on its own hasnt been difficult to manage, however, i also got insulin neuritis which has caused extreme nerve pain for the past 6 months which is just now starting to calm down.

My Grandpa who i was really close with died in May, he was 100 years old so he lived a great life but still hard to lose someone close to you.

Broke up with my GF of 6 years in September, I have dealt with this better than expected but it has been tough living in the house alone.

I think all things considered I am doing pretty well handling everything but its been the hardest 6 months of my life hands down
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 11:33 PM   #191
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post

A lot of this is learning late in life I have ADHD, realizing what that actually means, and then was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I just don't know how to take care of myself very well given those facts.

Things that used to feel intuitive and natural to pursue, I now look at through a filter of doubt where I wonder what my disabilities are preventing me from seeing, or if my urges are old (bad) habits flaring up.

This is a very difficult epiphany to have when you're already a grown ass man with dependents, debts and promises. Waking up one day, realizing how incompetent/immature you actually are.

So... what turned it around? I've been quite fortunate to get support from some expected and unexpected sources. Your social network really does make a difference. Having the diagnoses... as hard as they have been to accept at least give me a fighting chance to reset, humble myself and try to rebuild.

I HAVE to do things like limit access to the internet, drink less coffee, stay away from booze and weed, because I see how I was using those things to access dopamine that my body does not produce on it's own like normal people. I am not a normal person, and it is hard to change to fit societies expectations, or find a little niche in the world where it's actually okay to just be what I am. Again... fitness. I am a mental misfit for our norms, and honestly I'm quite vulnerable to the games that get played out there. This CRUSHES my mental health. It takes SO MUCH energy to hold awareness of these things and act accordingly.

Having stimulants have helped with the energy and discipline problems. Embracing the reality that I need unfocused, creative time to recover from focused time to prevent fatigue or burnout has been really big.

Not neglecting exercise has been super hard as I get older and more pain is on the other side of most movements. Adapting how I put my mind and body under physical stress has been one of the strangest aspects of this journey. But... move every day is a must.

I did an Ayahuasca ceremony in BC with some old friends this summer, which immediately broke my depressive symptoms. I was not expecting that at all. I went in wanting to melt my ego, and meet my fears. I came out feeling worthy of life and love, and much less negative self talk. I came out remembering how important it is to sing and move to literally vibrate the stress out of all the parts of your body. Amazing, amazing medicine.

Therapy still hasn't and continues to not be very effective, but I'm still trying to build adult-grade organizational and self-management skills. Its a matter of survival. This does make me sad, though, and makes me feel like I'll always be behind in a world that just seems to be moving faster every day. It is physically painful to manage a calendar, or learn a new stupid update on yet another MS Office tool or low-code SaaS piece of garbage that still requires a huge amount of organizational capabaility to set up before using.

I haven't even touched on how messed up my financial situation has become going through Covid, and I have no one to blame but myself. This one is really hard to accept. I may never really "recover" or be in a good place, but who knows... I'm kind of a prince of magic beans and am a pure Albertan... I swear I won't piss away the next windfall (if it ever comes).

So... not a 1-2, but not an 8. It's a journey.

Be kind to yourself, rest, and keep moving. There's always a move, even when you think there aren't any left.
Definitely hits home with my got diagnosed in the last 1-2 years with adhd. Kind of always thought maybe but you never know. It’s nice to know and the medication makes my life so much easier but I hate when I’m not on my medication because I’m so self aware of how ####ty I am without it. And things before I just thought were my personality I can see them as ash’s symptoms or traits and wish I didn’t have it. And I need to start limiting my internet it’s ends up just wasting time and not great for mental health / easy dopamine.

Last edited by Twitchy15; 11-25-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:41 PM   #192
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone needs their internet time limited like children have.

I don't think any of us is responsible or does a particularly good job of monitoring/moderating the amount of scrolling and (useless) information consuming we inundate ourselves with.

It would be for our own good lol.

Maybe in the future it will actually be considered a hazard and we'll have warnings on social media etc

I mean, "Facebook depression" is a real coined term in the field of mental health.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 11-25-2023 at 11:44 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 11:59 PM   #193
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

I don't think any of us is responsible or does a particularly good job of monitoring/moderating the amount of scrolling and (useless) information consuming we inundate ourselves with.

Maybe in the future it will actually be considered a hazard and we'll have warnings on social media etc

I mean, "Facebook depression" is a real coined term in the field of mental health.
You can pry the Internet out of my cold, dead hands you evil bastard.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #194
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Without the internet my already miserable existence would be compounded even more. Don't I could make it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #195
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is my favorite way to cook.

"Ok what the #### is in the fridge and needs eating"
5 pounds of potato salad about to go bad… challenge accepted.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:15 PM   #196
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

You will be greeted at the door by Smith and Wesson should you attempt to curtail my screen time.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #197
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I think some people just need to be shown how cheap and easy it can be. Like last night, I was feeling lazy so just threw something together that's almost impossible to screw up. Non-stick pan, handful of chicken thighs on full heat.....
This is awesome and would definitely help a load of people. I think it's important to remember that some people hate cooking (like, hate it). They find it overwhelming and it leaves them feeling defeated, so asking them to feel that 3x/day when they might already be feeling rundown by life can be a tall order.

We should be cooking more of our own food, it can be delicious without being brined like a fast food meal, and the body/mind benefits are massive, but to somebody who was raised a certain way, it's not going to necessarily be easy.

My recommendation would be to set a goal to eliminate one fast food meal with a home cooked one, and pay close attention to how you feel afterwards. Things like how long you feel full for, if you slept better, how much it cost, or if you woke up without a stomach ache are all helpful to notice.

This might be weird, but I'd also recommend chatGPT for recipes. Just tell it you're feeling very down, hate cooking, enjoy <insert things you like here>, and to give you ideas. If you see something you like, ask it for the recipe, and if you don't, ask it for more options. I've been loving using a chatbot for this because it doesn't read like a g-damn Jane Austin novel for 3000 words before getting to the recipe like every cooking blog in the world.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2023, 10:33 AM   #198
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The majority of recipe results on Google now residing on poorly disguised and almost indistinguishable-from-each-other content farms has to be a detriment to anyone trying to start cooking for themselves more regularly. What a ####ing nightmare those things are.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #199
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
You will be greeted at the door by Smith and Wesson should you attempt to curtail my screen time.

Danielle Smith and a jug of olive oil. You have got one twisted mind.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:04 AM   #200
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I think some people just need to be shown how cheap and easy it can be. Like last night, I was feeling lazy so just threw something together that's almost impossible to screw up. Non-stick pan, handful of chicken thighs on full heat. Walked away because those are impossible to overcook. Came back a few minutes later, dumped in a sliced red pepper and a random unmeasured amount of fajita spice, lime juice and a splash of steak sauce. Walked away again. Came back, boiled rice, done. Bam, bull#### lazy fajita stirfry, because those were that random ingredients I had on hand. Wish I had an onion but whatever. Probably cost me $12 and you'll get a few meals out of it. Even the pan was some cheap POS. And only used up maybe 5 minutes of my attention. Plus you could do countless variations of that, use broccoli and teriyaki sauce instead, etc. No need to complicate things.

Plus it was delicious, and not fake health nut delicious like when you see someone with a dry unseasoned chicken breast with some plain rice pretending they actually enjoy that crap.
I just got an airfryer. It does chicken well.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbc news 988