Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #281
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I actually totally agree with StrykerSteve Evander Kane would be a great pick up.I am thinking his value is fairly low at this point and he still is only 25 years old.He has size speed and plays a Brian Burke type of game.Surely he has learned from his mistakes over the years.I honestly think picking him up would help our team a bunch,I wouldnt pay a premium for him but if you can get him for a 2nd rounder and prospect why not?Cap hit of 5.25 with one year left before he becomes a UFA.Make it happen Brad!!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #282
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

All of Kane's past troubles/issues aside, has he ever played RW?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #283
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksWorstNightmare View Post
I actually totally agree with StrykerSteve Evander Kane would be a great pick up.I am thinking his value is fairly low at this point and he still is only 25 years old.He has size speed and plays a Brian Burke type of game.Surely he has learned from his mistakes over the years.I honestly think picking him up would help our team a bunch,I wouldnt pay a premium for him but if you can get him for a 2nd rounder and prospect why not?Cap hit of 5.25 with one year left before he becomes a UFA.Make it happen Brad!!
I don't think this is the case with this guy.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #284
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Sabres gave up quite a bit less than two years ago to get Kane. I suspect it will take more than a second and a prospect.

Plus the Sabres are looking to compete, not continue the rebuild. They're going to be looking for a player(s) of similar age and upside, not picks or prospects who are years away.

I don't see a fit here & given how Kand behaved in Winnipeg (Canadian prairie city) why would you even want to risk how he would behave here?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #285
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want nothing to do with Evander Kane unless the cost is Bouma and Bollig or something along those lines. Sabres gave up a ton to get him and he is on pace for 20+ goals so they won't give him away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #286
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It has been only about 6 months since Evander Kane was allegedly caught on security tape grabbing girls by the throat.

And FWIW, when the Sabres Canucks trade talks were in the headlines back in November the Sabres were asking for Tanev or Hutton to be in the package from the Canucks according to McKenzie, from which the Canucks walked away from.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #287
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
The Sabres gave up quite a bit less than two years ago to get Kane. I suspect it will take more than a second and a prospect.

Plus the Sabres are looking to compete, not continue the rebuild. They're going to be looking for a player(s) of similar age and upside, not picks or prospects who are years away.

I don't see a fit here & given how Kand behaved in Winnipeg (Canadian prairie city) why would you even want to risk how he would behave here?
I'm not sure how much upside there is to Kane.
He's proven he has a terrible attitude, and not much else. If they're looking for actual NHL players, I wouldn't want to see us give up more than a Bouma-type player.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #288
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It has been only about 6 months since Evander Kane was allegedly caught on security tape grabbing girls by the throat.

And FWIW, when the Sabres Canucks trade talks were in the headlines back in November the Sabres were asking for Tanev or Hutton to be in the package from the Canucks according to McKenzie, from which the Canucks walked away from.
Fair enough. Shows the value of a young D these days. Sabres are smart to set the price that high.

Still; the Sabres (unless they can get what they want) are probably better off holding onto Kane. Trading Kane now for pennies on the dollar (ie Bouma) would be Murray taking a big step closer to getting himself fired. They're not desperate to move him.

I'm certain the Sabres are disappointed & frustrated with Kane, but if he can produce on the ice moving forward and keep his head screwed on off the ice, I'm sue they will be quick to forgive him.

As far as I know he ranks pretty high in the hits department year in year out. Would be a nice piece to add to your lineup of you have to face the Kings/ducks/sharks.

Bottom line; Bouma doesn't even get the conversation started. Kane still has good value, and the Sabres would be foolish to give him away.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #289
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane makes $5M a year to put up ~40 points (if he could ever stay healthy, which he can't), and he seems to be a bad guy off the ice. Why would the Flames want anything to do with that?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #290
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on comments that Burke has made in the past about taking into account a player's character when looking at acquiring someone, I can't see the Flames going after a guy with Kane's baggage.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #291
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Fair enough. Shows the value of a young D these days. Sabres are smart to set the price that high.

Still; the Sabres (unless they can get what they want) are probably better off holding onto Kane. Trading Kane now for pennies on the dollar (ie Bouma) would be Murray taking a big step closer to getting himself fired. They're not desperate to move him.

I'm certain the Sabres are disappointed & frustrated with Kane, but if he can produce on the ice moving forward and keep his head screwed on off the ice, I'm sue they will be quick to forgive him.

As far as I know he ranks pretty high in the hits department year in year out. Would be a nice piece to add to your lineup of you have to face the Kings/ducks/sharks.

Bottom line; Bouma doesn't even get the conversation started. Kane still has good value, and the Sabres would be foolish to give him away.
Buffalo is in a tough situation because Kane's name is worth much more than his current play suggests, so I would imagine no GM is willing to give up what Kane *should* be worth (based on his past play/hype).
Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #292
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've previously said I don't care too much about "character" in an NHL player, as long as he doesn't disrupt the locker room. With the way he was basically chased out of Winnipeg by Buff et al., Kane seems like someone the Flames should avoid.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #293
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of the Sabres. Former Flame Derek Grant claimed by the Nashville Predators after being put on waivers by buffalo as per Bob Mckenzie on his twitter.

CPHL Dallas Stars
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #294
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd take Kane, but that's just because I'm a fan of his. 25, still young enough to sort his head out. You'd hope that the older he gets, the less of a bellend he becomes. Can score goals and would slot in nicely on the top line (if I remember correctly he can play RW?). Plus he's tough on the ice, and last season at least we were far too soft on far too many occasions.

Plus he knocked out Matt Cooke with a one-bomb at aged 19; always be a hero for that.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #295
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Insider trading:

Mark Streit's return from injured reserve may force the Flyers to make a trade or another creative move to get cap compliant
He is ready to return to the lineup but can't until Flyers free up cap space so teams are waiting to see whether a trade is in order

Devils are using their cap space as trade bait.
They also have 18 draft picks in the next 2 drafts including 4 2nd round picks and 4 3rd round picks.
Devils want to use both their cap space and picks to improve their team.
Will go after players teams will have trouble keeping around because of a flat or small salary cap increase next season

Martin St. Louis looking to join NHL front office in some capacity (coaching or management) at some point
Also opening a private equity company

Bottom line in Colorado is that a reboot to some degree is going to happen
Sakic wants to get younger and faster - some of that will be from promoting kids in their AHL affiliate they like
Anyone other than MacKinnon or Rantanen they are listening to offers on.

McKenzie wonders if Duchene might welcome moving on while he thinks younger Landeskog would be ok staying with the Avs
He also notes a big problem for the Avs is they drafted poorly and need to change that moving forward

Brian Burke squashed the rumor that he is being considered to run USA hockey after the current head stepped down. He is staying in Calgary.

Wild may bring Joel Eriksson EK back from Sweden

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #296
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question on the Mark Streit front. How long do the Flyers have to get compliant or make room for him. I get they can't use him until they do, but shouldn't it even be more punitive then that. Shouldn't they have to get compliant as soon as he's ready (or close to) or face some form of cap circumvention penalty?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #297
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Question on the Mark Streit front. How long do the Flyers have to get compliant or make room for him. I get they can't use him until they do, but shouldn't it even be more punitive then that. Shouldn't they have to get compliant as soon as he's ready (or close to) or face some form of cap circumvention penalty?
Technically they only have to move him off IR when the Flyers doctors clear him.

The CBA allows the NHL to have independent doctors examine a player on LTIR if they suspect a team is using it to circumvent the salary cap, but at what point will they do actually do that is anyone's guess. Although there will be pressures from rival teams and even the player himself will probably eventually file a grievance through PA if the player is kept on LTIR too long.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #298
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Insider trading:

Mark Streit's return from injured reserve may force the Flyers to make a trade or another creative move to get cap compliant
He is ready to return to the lineup but can't until Flyers free up cap space so teams are waiting to see whether a trade is in order
I wonder if the Flyers would move Del Zotto. Good puck moving defenseman, who is surprisingly physical, averaging 3.5 hits per game. He is a UFA at the end of the year. He would deepen our defense for a playoff run.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #299
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Kane in a Flames jersey, especially because the acquisition price would probably be fair. It wouldn't be cheap, but it wouldn't be a high price.

When you don't have utterly elite talent (McDavid/Crosby), the best way to win in this league is to be able to roll 4 lines.

This wouldn't make a lot of sense unless it happened in post-expansion draft, as acquiring Kane would force us to expose one of Brouwer (unlikely) or Ferland (would be poor asset management).

Being able to roll 4 lines like this though:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Kane - Monahan - Brouwer
Gaudreau - Bennett - ?
Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway

would be a pretty fantastic set up front. Signing Bennett to a good 3 year bridge deal would be pretty crucial to the cap management though, as it would then align with Frolik/Brouwer's deals expiring.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #300
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
It's Eklund, so it's likely completely unsubstantiated schlock. However, Kane would actually be a pretty decent option for Monahan's wing. But he's highly overrated IMO, has had one good season in the league and that was six years ago. I'd be interested, but only if the asking price wasn't outrageous. I'm not even sure what Buffalo's needs are, I'll have to do some research before suggesting a proposal.
If Kane has character issues, one could call him an ass, and you believe that he can be handled?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread