Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 07:04 AM   #241
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The most complicated part is getting the NHLPA to agree, since the cap system is part of the CBA.

First you have to sell the changes to the lawyers running the PA, who take professional pride in screwing the owners however and whenever they can – whether it benefits the union members or not.

Then you have to get the approval of the players for a change to a system they already can't wrap their heads around. Remember, some of these guys have trouble counting to six, as shown by the prevalence of penalties for too many men.
It can't be implemented until the next CBA if my understanding is correct that the NHLPA would have a say. The problem is this is a hill the NHL should be willing to die on to fix. The last 3 SC champs in a row have pulled this to get an advantage and clearly it works. I would rather face another lockout to get it fixed than to have the SC awarded every year to whatever big money franchise can hide enough salary on LTIR to basically buy a SC.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 07:19 AM   #242
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
There is nothing for the League to scrutinize. All the player has to say is what the doctors tell him and he supports it. Players are entitled to a second opinion if they want but if your okay with what the doctor says you really think the league is going to challenge the teams doctors?

This rarely happens and it was highly publicized in the Eichel situation in Buffalo. The league never spoke out about Buffalo and criticized the ownership of the team for not supporting the new age surgery.

Players have guaranteed contracts. You think Hossa, Pronger, Price, Weber ect are upset that they’re still making or made millions because their body broke down playing the game they love.

I think all the players you mentioned would gladly take the multiple cups and millions of dollars with them.
Oh, I think the League could definitely take a stricter approach. And I do think the League could challenge some team doctors. I also think team doctors are complicit in a lot of stuff - including going the other way - allowing players to play when they shouldn't.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 08:03 AM   #243
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to know how Vegas faked a lacerated spleen for Stone to go on LTIR
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #244
stone156
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So teams have to declare a cap compliant roster after the reg season before the playoffs start.

Do or do not...there is no try
stone156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:23 AM   #245
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Would love to know how Vegas faked a lacerated spleen for Stone to go on LTIR
I'm not claiming Vegas is cheating right now. Though Hertl being injured and due to return in April is funny because it's Vegas.

I don't think anyone has faked an injury. I do think they have played with return dates.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:54 AM   #246
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It can't be implemented until the next CBA if my understanding is correct that the NHLPA would have a say. The problem is this is a hill the NHL should be willing to die on to fix. The last 3 SC champs in a row have pulled this to get an advantage and clearly it works. I would rather face another lockout to get it fixed than to have the SC awarded every year to whatever big money franchise can hide enough salary on LTIR to basically buy a SC.
I doubt the NHL has any motivation to change things, much less the players.
Calgary could not have moved Hanifin to Vegas. It would hurt teams looking to move UFA’s to be.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:18 AM   #247
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is the current information that Stone is done for both the regular season and playoffs or is it just the regular season as usual? I know the typical move for Vegas is to activate him on day 1 of playoffs but just observing if that’s even likely this year.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:20 AM   #248
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I doubt the NHL has any motivation to change things, much less the players.
Calgary could not have moved Hanifin to Vegas. It would hurt teams looking to move UFA’s to be.
From a league perspective it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:21 AM   #249
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This trade is brutal for the Sharks. Just an ongoing commitment to be bad for years. Can’t see them being competitive this decade in any scenario.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:25 AM   #250
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
This trade is brutal for the Sharks. Just an ongoing commitment to be bad for years. Can’t see them being competitive this decade in any scenario.
They are already really, really bad. Better to continue the scorched earth and get some elite draft picks. Hertl wasn’t helping the rebuild, now he did.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:27 AM   #251
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
From a league perspective it doesn't really matter.
Sure it does.

The league is all the teams. They want the ability to make moves at the deadline, whether it’s trading for players to help a playoff run, or offloading UFA’s to be.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:30 AM   #252
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not claiming Vegas is cheating right now. Though Hertl being injured and due to return in April is funny because it's Vegas.

I don't think anyone has faked an injury. I do think they have played with return dates.
It’s just as likely (more likely, in my opinion) that the players rush their recovery to be on the ice for game one.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:35 AM   #253
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

There is cheating and circumventing going on. It’s obvious.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:41 AM   #254
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Is the current information that Stone is done for both the regular season and playoffs or is it just the regular season as usual? I know the typical move for Vegas is to activate him on day 1 of playoffs but just observing if that’s even likely this year.
They will have to wait til playoffs this year for cap reasons.

Them making the post season is no sure thing at this point either. Right now they would MUCH rather have Stone in the line up than using his LTIR space on another injured player who will be back before the season ends by most accounts.

Lacerated spleens arent X amount of recovery time, each one is different. The only way he comes back is if CT scans clear him.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:42 AM   #255
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure it does.

The league is all the teams. They want the ability to make moves at the deadline, whether it’s trading for players to help a playoff run, or offloading UFA’s to be.
Oh I was agreeing with your first sentence.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:57 AM   #256
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s just as likely (more likely, in my opinion) that the players rush their recovery to be on the ice for game one.
Team doctors have been giving these guys access to horse tranquilizer style pain killers for years. The teams force them in there as much as the players do.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:09 PM   #257
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Oh I was agreeing with your first sentence.
I see that now, the printed word is often a bit confusing without context.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:30 PM   #258
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure it does.

Yes, the league is all the teams. The majority of which can't just throw away an extra $15-25M a year to try and make a run at the SC like a few select big ticket markets can. The majority of teams are going to want a fair shot at having a chance at a SC, not the really rich teams always coming out ahead.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:41 PM   #259
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Team doctors have been giving these guys access to horse tranquilizer style pain killers for years. The teams force them in there as much as the players do.
For sure. My angle is, I don’t think anyone is sitting there 100% and not dressing. It’s less likely they push it for game 81 or 82, than game 1 of the playoffs.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:46 PM   #260
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yes, the league is all the teams. The majority of which can't just throw away an extra $15-25M a year to try and make a run at the SC like a few select big ticket markets can. The majority of teams are going to want a fair shot at having a chance at a SC, not the really rich teams always coming out ahead.
You are only talking about the LTIR problem, which should be dealt with by having stricter controls over injuries and requiring league doctors to confirm. Although if insurance is involved, you can be assured that their doctors are involved.

I am talking more about trade deadline deals, where years can take on larger caps at a fraction due to 80% of the year having passed. That affects all teams, especially those teams trying to trade UFA’s to be.