Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 03:02 PM   #221
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

These negotiations are always interesting. Why did SJ have to throw in two 3rds AND retain? Would Vegas have walked away?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:05 PM   #222
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure it matters that the 1st we get now in 2026 is unprotected. Vegas has a good chance of still going strong by then. But it probably has a better chance of being a lottery pick than the 2025 1st at least.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:06 PM   #223
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am not sure it matters that the 1st we get now in 2026 is unprotected. Vegas has a good chance of still going strong by then. But it probably has a better chance of being a lottery pick than the 2025 1st at least.
I'm not an expert on strength of draft years but it seems that a lot of people are higher on the upside of the 2026 draft than the 2025 draft
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:09 PM   #224
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't it come out when Hertl signed the deal that the Sharks gave him flexibility if he ever wanted to be moved? I bet he didn't want to stick around the the extensive rebuild.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM   #225
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

What I'm seeing is that ANYONE could have traded for IR Hertl, who would have easily fit under the cap for this season because of his IR, and only Vegas was shrewd enough to make that move.

That somehow makes Vegas cheaters in some people's eyes?

Some people just want any excuse to push this "Vegas cheats with LTIR" narrative, and plugs their years and go "LALALALALA" to anything contrary.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:19 PM   #226
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, why not go crazy if you’re Vegas? They won the cup last year so they are playing with house money now. If this falls apart and they end up with an old team and no picks, they can still say they got a cup out of their window and can hang their hats on that… and if they win another cup from these trades, they are verging on being a dynasty.

I would bet Stone is going to LTIRetire after this season. Makes sense bringing in Hertl both as a replacement for Stone and as a supplement for this cup run.

Love that the Vegas 2026 pick is unprotected for the flames now. Never know what will happen over the next couple seasons. Although, Vegas will likely be able to just keep being competitive for a long while. It helps when every free agent and every player that has a NTC and wants to be traded has Vegas at the top of their list. It means you’ll always have good players lining up to come to your team. Don’t really need as much of a stream of young players/prospects in the system when you have that advantage.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:22 PM   #227
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I wonder what 15 year old were targeting.

He should be a solid NHL player by around 2031
Is there some reason to think the Flames won't need solid players in 2031?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:26 PM   #228
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I wonder what 15 year old were targeting.

He should be a solid NHL player by around 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Is there some reason to think the Flames won't need solid players in 2031?
Didn't you know? Hockey ends in 2030.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:38 PM   #229
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Welcome to the C of Red Joe Iginla (McKenna with the other pick)
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:49 PM   #230
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem I have with the Knights' salary cap circumvention is that players are supposed to come off LTIR immediately when they are medically cleared to play, not when the team has cap room to accommodate them. There is no way that every year multiple high cap hit players are not medically fit to play the day before the playoffs and yet are medically fit to play the next day. This is an abuse of the LTIR rules that the NHL should not tolerate. The rule needs to be rewritten such that a player is not eligible for the playoffs if he is on LTIR at the end of the season, or that teams must also be cap compliant during the playoffs.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM   #231
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're not cheating you're not trying.

Why would anyone be upset Vegas is loading up.

Edmonton must go.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 04:20 PM   #232
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've never seen someone offer what a cap-compliant system for the playoffs would look like so there may be ways around one problem I see with it. It would disincentivize teams from booking cap space throughout the year as they would not be allowed to have an active roster, at the time of the playoffs, that exceeded the cap even though they would still be under the cap for the entire year. TDL days would be quiet as all get out.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:40 PM   #233
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I've never seen someone offer what a cap-compliant system for the playoffs would look like so there may be ways around one problem I see with it. It would disincentivize teams from booking cap space throughout the year as they would not be allowed to have an active roster, at the time of the playoffs, that exceeded the cap even though they would still be under the cap for the entire year. TDL days would be quiet as all get out.
Having a hard cap for the playoffs would be lame and make it harder for teams to sell assets and rebuild.

I've always had a fairly simple solution: to be playoff eligible a player must have counted against the cap for __ days. I'd put it around 60 days (a little less than 1/3 of the season) but the number could be whatever. And it would have to be for contracts over say 2M AAV.

Or to make it a little more complex it could be a 3 to 1 ratio - for every 3 regular season days on the cap a player earns 1 game of playoff eligibility. So if you want them available for all 28 potential playoff games they have to be on the cap for 84 days. But teams could be aggressive and do enough to earn just 20 playoff games
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 12:44 AM   #234
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

all you have to do is make sure the roster on the ice is cap compliant for the playoffs...its not that complicated
Old 03-09-2024, 12:48 AM   #235
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
What I'm seeing is that ANYONE could have traded for IR Hertl, who would have easily fit under the cap for this season because of his IR, and only Vegas was shrewd enough to make that move.

Some people just want any excuse to push this "Vegas cheats with LTIR" narrative, and plugs their years and go "LALALALALA" to anything contrary.
I don't think this move is the one...
Old 03-09-2024, 01:21 AM   #236
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
all you have to do is make sure the roster on the ice is cap compliant for the playoffs...its not that complicated
The most complicated part is getting the NHLPA to agree, since the cap system is part of the CBA.

First you have to sell the changes to the lawyers running the PA, who take professional pride in screwing the owners however and whenever they can – whether it benefits the union members or not.

Then you have to get the approval of the players for a change to a system they already can't wrap their heads around. Remember, some of these guys have trouble counting to six, as shown by the prevalence of penalties for too many men.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:46 AM   #237
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I hope the league scrutinizes the health of some Vegas players closely in the next two years when they pull LTIR moves with Stone, Eichel and Hertl. Maybe Pietrangelo as well.
There is nothing for the League to scrutinize. All the player has to say is what the doctors tell him and he supports it. Players are entitled to a second opinion if they want but if your okay with what the doctor says you really think the league is going to challenge the teams doctors?

This rarely happens and it was highly publicized in the Eichel situation in Buffalo. The league never spoke out about Buffalo and criticized the ownership of the team for not supporting the new age surgery.

Players have guaranteed contracts. You think Hossa, Pronger, Price, Weber ect are upset that they’re still making or made millions because their body broke down playing the game they love.

I think all the players you mentioned would gladly take the multiple cups and millions of dollars with them.

Last edited by Sec214; 03-09-2024 at 01:55 AM.
Sec214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 02:01 AM   #238
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how the exact math would work, but basically, they could give teams credit for the days they were under the cap during the season. It could be similar to the number that CapFriendly shows for "Deadline Cap Space", i.e., the amount of cap hit a team could add at the deadline and still be cap compliant. The only difference would be the exclusion of LTIR in that calculation.

Each team's playoff cap would be based on that number, so a team who used their cap space well would have more room in the playoffs and a team that abused LTIR would not.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:02 AM   #239
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post

The difference is when teams hold out a player on LTIR until game 1 of the playoffs starts. Hertl being injured isn't a big deal but if Hertl and Stone return for the first game of the playoffs then it indicates to me that their being left on LTIR is the issue.

I guess time will tell. I didn't like it when Kucherov did it ether.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:59 AM   #240
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The solution is actually simple, the lineup you ice in the playoffs must be salary cap compliant. So if you use LTIR to load up at the deadline so be it but if you have guys coming back for game 1 you can only dress a lineup that is cap compliant.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote