Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2024, 03:24 PM   #2841
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Another local one which I think is underrated is Spolumbo's
plus 1 on spolumbos. I'm biased as i worked there for 7 years, but they still treat me like family 20 years later and the owners are simply some of the absolute best people Calgary (and the world) has to offer. The food is still as good as it was when i worked there, and prices have not gone up drastically like many other places have since this inflation mess got out of control.

Its superb
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 03:48 PM   #2842
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is it better than the one in the +15 south of Shell?
No idea. I've only eaten at the original location and the little Bridgeland offshoot they have (but the sandwiches there are premade). The original location has yet to disappoint...having said that, I go in expecting a decent sandwich, not a transcendental experience.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:35 PM   #2843
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Peppino is awesome. There’s no “hype” it’s just plain good.

Same with Spolumbos. The meatloaf sandwich is a favourite, but I’ve never had a bad one. Plus, as already said, everyone there seem like great people, never a bad experience.

The Calgary/Canadian fascination with American chains always gets me. I grew up with some of those chains and go down there regularly and can say with full confidence that there is not a single American chain offering out there where you can’t get the same or better locally in Calgary, right now.

People just like that stuff because it’s “exotic” or whatever you want to call it. Not saying it isn’t good, but you’re not exactly missing out.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 05:41 PM   #2844
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Subs are great, but I wouldn’t pay for something with just standard luncheon meat. I haven’t been that hungry that the calculator inside my brain doesn’t start running the numbers on DIY sub from grocery store items. The place needs to bring something amazing to the table.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 07:47 PM   #2845
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peppinos is tasty but over priced for what you get.

Spolumbos is fantastic.

The American sub/sandwich chains are all average.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:20 PM   #2846
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Peppino is awesome. There’s no “hype” it’s just plain good.

Same with Spolumbos. The meatloaf sandwich is a favourite, but I’ve never had a bad one. Plus, as already said, everyone there seem like great people, never a bad experience.

The Calgary/Canadian fascination with American chains always gets me. I grew up with some of those chains and go down there regularly and can say with full confidence that there is not a single American chain offering out there where you can’t get the same or better locally in Calgary, right now.

People just like that stuff because it’s “exotic” or whatever you want to call it. Not saying it isn’t good, but you’re not exactly missing out.
I wouldn't say exotic, more so just "backed by hype".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:29 AM   #2847
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Another local one which I think is underrated is Spolumbo's
I'm heading back to Calgary in mid-April and this is the first place I'm heading for lunch.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:33 AM   #2848
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't recall ever having a Spolumbo's sandwich, which is kind of weird now that I think about it, as I'm in there a couple times a year to pick up chorizo!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:28 AM   #2849
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Is it better than the one in the +15 south of Shell? That was another hyped sandwich that was just a deep disappointment
Ya, you and I are in the don’t get the peppino thing. Wonderbread style bread, velveeta style cheese. Spolumbo is the only place in Calgary that is close to the Sammies I’d have in New Jersey.surprised former New Yorker Table likes them.

On a side note, I wish you could buy the same style bread/baguette as you get on a Viet Sub at the grocery store. Those buns/rolls/baguettes are crap at Safeway. Even COBS rolls are meh.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 12:07 PM   #2850
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Ya, you and I are in the don’t get the peppino thing. Wonderbread style bread, velveeta style cheese. Spolumbo is the only place in Calgary that is close to the Sammies I’d have in New Jersey.surprised former New Yorker Table likes them.

On a side note, I wish you could buy the same style bread/baguette as you get on a Viet Sub at the grocery store. Those buns/rolls/baguettes are crap at Safeway. Even COBS rolls are meh.
Lina's has stunning bread including sub rolls, focaccia for making sandy's. As well, check out Good Bread on Fairmont and Heritage.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:57 PM   #2851
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

We have all these fake Italian sandwiches here (I'm including Peppinos and Splumbos). Why can't we have authentic style ones?

It reminds me of this Italian guy trying a "famous" New Orleans supposedly traditional style sandwich and he gives it 0/10. We just have a lot of bad sandwiches overall in North America.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 08:00 PM   #2852
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

I think there are Viet places in the NE that will sell you the bread directly. I am also partial to deconstructed banh mi charcuterie boxes that you have to try from My Tho BBQ. We did this at Christmas. You have to order ahead of time.

https://www.instagram.com/mythobbqyyc/?hl=en
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:03 PM   #2853
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have all these fake Italian sandwiches here (I'm including Peppinos and Splumbos). Why can't we have authentic style ones?

We don't have the "old world" meats or the quality of ingredients for sandwiches like that to be available at a deli or sandwich shop. If we could find something like that locally it would a $50 sandwich. The mozzarella and parmesan alone is probably worth about $10 here in Canada.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:43 PM   #2854
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread.

Last edited by DoubleK; 04-06-2024 at 10:08 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:55 PM   #2855
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We don't have the "old world" meats or the quality of ingredients for sandwiches like that to be available at a deli or sandwich shop. If we could find something like that locally it would a $50 sandwich. The mozzarella and parmesan alone is probably worth about $10 here in Canada.
One of my top memorable meals of all time was eating a basic bag of fresh buffalo mozzarella on a park bench in Naples. It was maybe 3 euros, but on a completely different level. You just can’t get that here, and if you could, it would be outrageously priced I’m sure.

I’ve had the famous muffuletta in New Orleans and wasn’t particularly impressed either. The beignets on the other hand were great.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:01 PM   #2856
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

T&T sells baguettes that are pretty good. Not sure of the brand, but I think they’re made locally.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:21 PM   #2857
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once you’ve had a good jambon beurre, you realize it’s all about the ingredients. Bread, ham, butter. That’s it. But if all three are of the highest quality, it can’t be beat.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:31 AM   #2858
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Once you’ve had a good jambon beurre, you realize it’s all about the ingredients. Bread, ham, butter. That’s it. But if all three are of the highest quality, it can’t be beat.
Yup, used to go to that Manuel Latruwe for those.

Actually Cassis has killer baguette. Wine butter and bread. Don’t need anything else.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:22 AM   #2859
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there are Viet places in the NE that will sell you the bread directly. I am also partial to deconstructed banh mi charcuterie boxes that you have to try from My Tho BBQ. We did this at Christmas. You have to order ahead of time.

https://www.instagram.com/mythobbqyyc/?hl=en
Why did i have to read this on a Sunday morning?? Why????
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:08 PM   #2860
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Why did i have to read this on a Sunday morning?? Why????

Username checks out.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post: