Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #2541
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
With CMLC out, it doesn’t necessarily mean that CSEC will be leading the design phase. It would likely mean there will be another PM team to replace them.
But one that likely won't be as invested in how the arena fits into the fabric of the surrounding area.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #2542
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Inverted bowl out? Is that due to the geological location (near two river basins)?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #2543
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess they're dealing with pandemic construction material prices now too
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #2544
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize inverted bowl was still on the table. Shame that it didn't work out, I think it would have been really cool.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #2545
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Calgary Next is any indication, having CSEC in charge of a major project and incorporating it into other major infrastructure would be a huge mistake.
Disappointed to hear CMLC won't be involved.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #2546
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
If Calgary Next is any indication,
I doubt the actual construction project will be designed in two hours with MS Paint. So that already leaves Calgary Next in the dust.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #2547
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

gross.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #2548
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just excited to finally see an actual render at some point.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #2549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to hear from Muta.

According to him CalgaryNEXT was amazing, we really need his allegedly informed opinion about this project.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #2550
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We need to hear from Muta.

According to him CalgaryNEXT was amazing, we really need his allegedly informed opinion about this project.

I think CalgaryNext would have been amazing.

Just terrible at lining up for what the City was pushing for, and terrible for costs... and infrastructure, and this and that... but that would have undoubtedly been kind of amazing, no?

Just hard to sell it by making it in paint. And even harder to sell it with everything that I vaguely remember them demanding.

Terrible for everybody except CSEC, but a pretty amazing building.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #2551
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think CalgaryNext would have been amazing.

Just terrible at lining up for what the City was pushing for, and terrible for costs... and infrastructure, and this and that... but that would have undoubtedly been kind of amazing, no?

Just hard to sell it by making it in paint. And even harder to sell it with everything that I vaguely remember them demanding.

Terrible for everybody except CSEC, but a pretty amazing building.
So it was essentially the dumbest thing ever.

But it was amazing.

Hell, I should have become an architect, any idiot can sell that crap.

"You want an arena floating in the sky? Sure! Let me just fire up MS Paint we'll get that done up and see if any suckers bite!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #2552
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I doubt the actual construction project will be designed in two hours with MS Paint. So that already leaves Calgary Next in the dust.
It was a horrible presentation. but even discounting that, the entire concept including the surrounding infrastructure was ill-conceived and showed a lack of insight and long-term implications outside of what was good for CSEC and what they wanted. I don't think they've suddenly become more altruistic and concerned with what's in the best interest of the city and it's residents and less with what's good for them and their bottom line. Which is fine for a business, but not who you want in charge of a major city project that could impact the resident's long after the team decides that the arena is no longer suitable and demand another new arena.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #2553
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
It was a horrible presentation. but even discounting that, the entire concept including the surrounding infrastructure was ill-conceived and showed a lack of insight and long-term implications outside of what was good for CSEC and what they wanted. I don't think they've suddenly become more altruistic and concerned with what's in the best interest of the city and it's residents and less with what's good for them and their bottom line. Which is fine for a business, but not who you want in charge of a major city project that could impact the resident's long after the team decides that the arena is no longer suitable and demand another new arena.
I've seen 7th Graders put together better presentations.

Powerpoint isnt Rocket Science. If you want someone to gift you $1B you'd best blow their socks off.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #2554
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So it was essentially the dumbest thing ever.

But it was amazing.

Hell, I should have become an architect, any idiot can sell that crap.

"You want an arena floating in the sky? Sure! Let me just fire up MS Paint we'll get that done up and see if any suckers bite!"
It would have been amazing if the city only had to pitch in 275M and CSEC took on all over runs related to the project. I believe that's where we are now with this arena. The risk equation is everything in this case and was fundamentally the issue with calgary next. Bad renderings aside...the project was a no go because of the creosote, the money the city had to put in and the high risk of overruns. The concept of a combined football stadium, arena and field house to rejuvenate a poor area in an amazing location was great I thought.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #2555
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #2556
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419791944834715659

Not open in time for the Stampede in 2024, but will be in time for the hockey season.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #2557
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1419791944834715659

Not open in time for the Stampede in 2024, but will be in time for the hockey season.
* per the current proposed schedule.

In other words, probably the start of the 25/26 season.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #2558
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I'll keep an open mind until the plans come out but my first thought is this isn't good.

CMLC did a great job on the EV but that was under the former President. Is the question of competence due to the new person/people at the top?
I don't think that has anything to do with it.

The President/CEO of CMLC (Kate Thompson) has been with the organization since 2013 and was VP of Development. She lead the East Village project.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #2559
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
It would have been amazing if the city only had to pitch in 275M and CSEC took on all over runs related to the project. I believe that's where we are now with this arena. The risk equation is everything in this case and was fundamentally the issue with calgary next. Bad renderings aside...the project was a no go because of the creosote, the money the city had to put in and the high risk of overruns. The concept of a combined football stadium, arena and field house to rejuvenate a poor area in an amazing location was great I thought.
The only reason it's a 'poor area' is the creosote. As you say it's an amazing location and has huge potential for tax revenue generation in the future.

It's probably presently generating as much (or more) direct revenue from the dealerships than they would from Cnext (as proposed). The surrounding real estate grift for CSEC would've been even better for them, though.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #2560
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The only reason it's a 'poor area' is the creosote. As you say it's an amazing location and has huge potential for tax revenue generation in the future.

It's probably presently generating as much (or more) direct revenue from the dealerships than they would from Cnext (as proposed). The surrounding real estate grift for CSEC would've been even better for them, though.
When the city took over ownership of the west end they agreed to clean up the creosote problem. I have lived in Calgary since 1975 and nothing has been done, the land is valueless unless the city does it's job and has exactly zero tax revenue posibility. CSEC was basically forcing the issue and the city used every excuse to make sure it didn't happen so that they would never have to address the creosote problem.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote