Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #901
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Go back and watch it..... 5.12 GAA and a .852 save%
He made Kane look like Patrick Kane. He made a 1 ankle Draisaital look like Bobby Baun, made McDavid look like Gretzky and Hyman look like Leafs Hyman.

Every shot on him felt like it was going in like Kidd against the Sharks.

Mike Smith who let in a goal from 200 feet away outplayed him.....

I mean he did win the series against the Stars but holy crap wooofff against the Oil
4 out of 5 games in that series the score was tied at some point in the 3rd period. Markstrom wasn’t great but I would expect our skaters to be able to put away most games in that situation, they didn’t.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #902
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Elliott against the Ducks was just the worst. I'm surprised they let me back in the Dome after that OT goal in Game 3.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #903
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Yeah, Elliott against the Ducks was just the worst. I'm surprised they let me back in the Dome after that OT goal in Game 3.
The mistake was letting Elliott back in.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #904
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
4 out of 5 games in that series the score was tied at some point in the 3rd period. Markstrom wasn’t great but I would expect our skaters to be able to put away most games in that situation, they didn’t.
wasn't great is an understatement. At least Elliot was playing against the Ducks. We never beat them! Even if we had Kipper in we would have lost. His GAA was 3.89 for the series.

Markstrom laid an egg against the NoGood Oilers. It's over and done with but he BETTER NOT do that again!
Old 08-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #905
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
wasn't great is an understatement. At least Elliot was playing against the Ducks. We never beat them! Even if we had Kipper in we would have lost. His GAA was 3.89 for the series.

Markstrom laid an egg against the NoGood Oilers. It's over and done with but he BETTER NOT do that again!
LOL, or what? I see you’ve found a new Gio to complain about.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #906
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
LOL, or what? I see you’ve found a new Gio to complain about.
I'm glad you guys are 100% ok with getting spanked by the No Goods.

I'm still not over it. Well at least i was 100% right about Gio! lol
Old 08-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #907
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It’s really not an understatement. He wasn’t great, but he wasn’t awful. You’re grossly exaggerating his performance. This was a team loss. The Oilers can make goalies look bad if you let them, and we did that perfectly.

Also, saying if X happened instead of Y the result would have been Z, is really an embarrassing way to support an argument. It’s utterly meaningless fantasy generated by your imagination.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:59 AM   #908
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
It’s really not an understatement. He wasn’t great, but he wasn’t awful. You’re grossly exaggerating his performance. This was a team loss. The Oilers can make goalies look bad if you let them, and we did that perfectly.

Also, saying if X happened instead of Y the result would have been Z, is really an embarrassing way to support an argument. It’s utterly meaningless fantasy generated by your imagination.
imagination..... Go look at Markstroms' overall record and GAA against the Oilers since he has become a Flame. Stats! use them.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #909
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Markstrom has backup numbers vs Canada and its something he needs to sort out between the ears.

Meanwhile he slays everything south of the border.

Does he feel more pressure against other CA clubs?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #910
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Go back and watch it..... 5.12 GAA and a .852 save%
He made Kane look like Patrick Kane. He made a 1 ankle Draisaital look like Bobby Baun, made McDavid look like Gretzky and Hyman look like Leafs Hyman.

Every shot on him felt like it was going in like Kidd against the Sharks.

Mike Smith who let in a goal from 200 feet away outplayed him.....

I mean he did win the series against the Stars but holy crap wooofff against the Oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Go back and watch, the team got suckered into playing the Oilers pond hockey style. Markstrom wasn’t good - but McDavid was in God mode, he made Kane look like Patrick Kane as much as anyone. Draisaitl, despite the ankle, was also lights out. We failed as a team, top to bottom. Elliot against Anaheim was shocking… we would have been better off having pulled him and used 6 skaters.
Sounds like you should watch it together.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #911
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
imagination..... Go look at Markstroms' overall record and GAA against the Oilers since he has become a Flame. Stats! use them.
I think you are looking at the wrong stats if you think they are enlightening in this situation. Even high danger chance stats don't begin to show how many odd man/wide open slot/cross crease pass/tap in chances the Flames were giving up.

Smith let in far more crap goals than Markstrom.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #912
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sounds like you should watch it together.
Yeah i'm not falling for that! Not watching that crap ever again! haha
Old 08-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #913
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom’s series against the Oilers was one of the two or three worst performances by a Flames goalie that I’ve seen in 35 years. He was clearly rattled and mentally defeated. And if it was all about McDavid and Draisatl playing in god mode, why didn’t they light up Pavel frickin Francouz a week later?

The Flames didn’t play great in front of Markstrom. But it’s hard to imagine the results being worse if Vladar started.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #914
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Markstrom’s series against the Oilers was one of the two or three worst performances by a Flames goalie that I’ve seen in 35 years. He was clearly rattled and mentally defeated. And if it was all about McDavid and Draisatl playing in god mode, why didn’t they light up Pavel frickin Francouz a week later?

The Flames didn’t play great in front of Markstrom. But it’s hard to imagine the results being worse if Vladar started.
This 100%

Some people are treating it like the chicken or the egg.

Markstrom started the collapse first and the team followed. Panic set in when every innocent looking shot from Hyman started dribbling through and the game plan went out the window.

The team still almost outscored their collapse and Markstrom looked like he was getting it back a bit until that whole game 5 kicking debacle.

What an ugly series that was Hahaha. Let's hope the bad mojo left with #13 and #19

Last edited by Burning Beard; 08-16-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #915
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flames sign Huberdeau to long term extension (8 yrs, $10.5 mil AAV)

Quote:

I was referring to you saying that if Kipper was in net we still would have lost. It’s meaningless, unprovable, and imaginary. Like saying if Vladar was in it would have been a better series against the Oilers… it’s totally meaningless.

Also, why don’t you post the stats if you are using them.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #916
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Panic set in when every innocent looking shot from Hyman started dribbling through and the game plan went out the window.
This is nothing but speculation. We have no clue how the team really felt about Markstrom.

You don't abandoned your system because your Vezina nominated goalie who played well the series before had a rough game 1 that you still ended up winning. If anything if they lost confidence in him it should have gave them even more of a reason to not try and play pond hockey and give up a ridiculous amount of odd man rushes.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #917
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
This is nothing but speculation. We have no clue how the team really felt about Markstrom.

You don't abandoned your system because your Vezina nominated goalie who played well the series before had a rough game 1 that you still ended up winning. If anything if they lost confidence in him it should have gave them even more of a reason to not try and play pond hockey and give up a ridiculous amount of odd man rushes.
Well duh it's just speculation. So is your entire second paragraph. Is anyone who posts here in the room?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #918
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Huberdeau extended! Nice!
Redlan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #919
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think you are looking at the wrong stats if you think they are enlightening in this situation. Even high danger chance stats don't begin to show how many odd man/wide open slot/cross crease pass/tap in chances the Flames were giving up.

Smith let in far more crap goals than Markstrom.
That is simply not true.

Sorry to perpetuate the derail.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #920
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is simply not true.

Sorry to perpetuate the derail.
I think it’s absolutely true. Markstrom let in some that were clear grade A chances and some that were good chances but maybe saveable with a great save, which he didn’t come up with. Even aside from the 200 footer, Smith was letting in the usual “goes right through him” goals, which in most games would be soul crushing game changers. But Calgary never took advantage.

But you are right about the derail so I’m done.