Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #4561
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well yeah the stats do say he's worth the contract. Now.

In four years maybe not for sure.

But that's pretty much the rule of law with UFAs ... so you can either close up shop and ignore the whole day, or pick a guy that at least delivers on the first half of his contract.

Coleman looks to be one of those guys.

Hopefully his other intangibles make the back nine of his contract bearable as well.

Either way would rather see them invest in a complete player than a one trick pony who's a disaster when that one trick goes away ... ~cough~ Neal.

UFA deals are awful in general but this shouldn't be used as an excuse for Tre or for anyone else. I think he clearly needed to make some kind of splash with the cap space he had and this was it. You're right Coleman is a way better person than Neal who was an a hole from the start so in that sense I think we're closer to Frolik territory.

I just see this move ultimately as irrelevant, I don't think Coleman will push this team anywhere even if I'm wrong about him. Like many moves with Tre they individually seem solid but at the end of the day the team is spinning it's wheels and this should be a results based sport, not one that's measured with individual stats however advanced they claim to be. His moves has resulted in nothing so far.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #4562
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Certainly didn't work out for sure.

But did you expect that?

The scouting report on Nordstrom was spot on ... good defensive player that can't score at all.

But I thought Simon was a plug and play player with a lack of finish that could play on any line ... nope.

Leivo had decent underlying numbers but just didn't do anything in games from the eye test. Frustrating player.

Honestly thought they added decent depth last year.
Did I think they’d be better than they were? Definitely but more based on what I’d heard and read than in actually viewing the players. Shame on me I suppose but we need the organization to start hitting on these things, don’t we? Most of these low risk signings or trades going back to Shore (both of them), Lazar etc. just haven’t panned out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:20 AM   #4563
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fans asking for something different. Treliving keeps going with the same thing...over and over...and over.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346589582645747712[
Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 AM   #4564
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Did I think they’d be better than they were? Definitely but more based on what I’d heard and read than in actually viewing the players. Shame on me I suppose but we need the organization to start hitting on these things, don’t we? Most of these low risk signings or trades going back to Shore (both of them), Lazar etc. just haven’t panned out.
Teams get better when you develop your own depth ... I think most teams face a crap shoot when you're bringing guys in at league minimum and hoping they do well.

Probably more so for a small market Canadian franchise because the tier before the last chance saloon has other options.

But all teams do it.

Jankowski was a face plant in Pittsburgh and is now gone. The Oilers and Canucks are moving on from depth players. I'm sure the turnover is huge.

Ideally you have a deep system and they take up the spots, but then that's tough too if they're being developed to be upper roster players - don't want to learn them as muckers.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #4565
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teams get better when you develop your own depth ... I think most teams face a crap shoot when you're bringing guys in at league minimum and hoping they do well.

Probably more so for a small market Canadian franchise because the tier before the last chance saloon has other options.

But all teams do it.

Jankowski was a face plant in Pittsburgh and is now gone. The Oilers and Canucks are moving on from depth players. I'm sure the turnover is huge.

Ideally you have a deep system and they take up the spots, but then that's tough too if they're being developed to be upper roster players - don't want to learn them as muckers.
I’m sure turnover is huge but you need to hit on some, even if for a single season. It has been widely discussed on here, and I would agree, that the Flames just don’t have the top end star power of the best teams. Good news is that our best players don’t make that much cabbage. Just need that to translate to a stronger bottom of the roster.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #4566
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we happy with this roster?

I’m starting to feel as though BT is not going to get any significant roster changes across the finish line.

Eichel is probably a pipe dream. I imagine the Kraken can throw BUF exactly the quality of futures they’ll want. And Gio and Eichel would sell a bunch of jerseys (heck I might buy the former).

What do we think Sutter coaching is worth? Plus 5-6 points?

Has BT done enough to keep his job? I feel in this city and with these owners, yeah. We tend to settle for mediocre hockey since the 1980s.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #4567
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire his butt.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #4568
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

I’m starting to feel as though BT is not going to get any significant roster changes across the finish line.

Eichel is probably a pipe dream. I imagine the Kraken can throw BUF exactly the quality of futures they’ll want. And Gio and Eichel would sell a bunch of jerseys (heck I might buy the former).

Has BT done enough to keep his job? I feel in this city and with these owners, yeah. We tend to settle for mediocre hockey since the 1980s.
People say the fans "settle for mediocre hockey" but what does that mean? What choice do fans have?
Flames fans are guilty of being loyal I suppose but I don't think many fans are actually happy with the last 30 years of failure.

The owners yes.
The city? Not on them.

For me BT's future hinges on how the contracts with Tkachuk and Gaudreau play out. I figured something would have happened with the top forward group by now, but willing to give him the full off-season before evaluating.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #4569
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I see your point.

But posting on the statue thread, it ####ing pisses me to think how much this franchise has fallen.

Team coming through here used to be guaranteed zero points.

Yeah yeah, I understand parity. But the one thing the cap doesn’t stop you from doing is getting the smartest most ruthless high performance people.

We never do that, aside from prime Daryl Sutter.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #4570
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Treliving got a D rating on nhl on sirius
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaydee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #4571
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still time but so far he banking on Sutter, a core bounce back and some young D to step and produce offense that they haven't been able to produce yet.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #4572
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Happy? That’s a strong word.

I like the adds of Coleman and Zadorov, and I’m curious to see how they’ll fit into the team. A potential bounce-back season from Markstrom is reason for optimism. So sure. Let’s see what this roster can do. <shrug>.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #4573
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still a ways away from opening night in October.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #4574
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I see your point.

But posting on the statue thread, it ####ing pisses me to think how much this franchise has fallen.

Team coming through here used to be guaranteed zero points.

Yeah yeah, I understand parity. But the one thing the cap doesn’t stop you from doing is getting the smartest most ruthless high performance people.

We never do that, aside from prime Daryl Sutter.
Has it? This is generally a continuation of the last 30 years.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #4575
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Still a ways away from opening night in October.
So if nothing else gets done, you will agree that Treliving is a garbage GM?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #4576
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
I heard that too. It was the NHL network and they were grading all 32 GMs.

Treliving got positive remarks for the Coleman signing and a free pass for losing Gio for nothing. But overall a D based on his inaction to shake up the forward core. They noted, correctly, the issues with the core forwards date back to the Colorado series.

Conclusion was that a team not good enough to make the playoffs in 2021 is not improved enough to expect anything different in 2021-22.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #4577
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
It’s the best he can hope for.

No playoff round victories since 2015, a team on a downward trend, has cycled through 4 coaches in 4 years, one of the worst prospect pools in the league thanks to mortgaging the future for no reward.

A “D” is generous.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #4578
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Treliving a lot. I think he is one of the better GMs in the league. The fact is he inherited a team without a top goalie, top C, and his top D didn't have 10 years left. That is a lot of holes to fill.

This has also been a generally positive offseason. The draft was very good, he has done a good job of adding depth players that will work well with the Sutter system, the Zadarov and Coleman additions fill a gap, and he avoided making any costly mistakes. That includes not giving up big assets to protect Giordano in the expansion draft.

The challenge is fans expect, and the team likely needs, a culture change. Its fine to tamper with the middle of the roster. But in terms of the impact players, we have the same group (minus Gio) that haven't been able to get it done for a number of years.

Treliving needs to make a move to shake up the core. I appreciate that is difficult to do, especially after a season where most of the core underperformed. But I also share the impression with a lot of fans that Treliving is too frugal to pay the cost necessary to make that kind of move.

There is still time. Eichel is available, and if the Flames don't get him a few more dominos will probably follow. But if we start camp without a change to this core then I think Treliving will have earned some serious criticism.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #4579
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Did I miss something? How is Seattle going to give up the 4 1st round equivalent’s? They have the exact same number of first round picks as the Flames do for the foreseeable future.

Terrible bump to a terrible thread.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #4580
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get the guy in there that has the balls to make the big moves.

Jfc, three years and counting since an impact trade and the roster hasn't gotten the results over the time since.

They're showing there's no consequence for even phoning in a season, which they absolutely just did.

I find that ####ing bananas.

I think Treliving is looking too hard for the perfect trade that suits the long term/short term/doesn't hurt the farm/etc. That deal simply does not exist. Just pick your goddang poison.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-14-2021 at 08:57 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: