Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #701
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Flames are proving to be the Cleveland Browns of the NHL
Pretty bad comparison. Flames have never finished at the bottom and picked 1st multiple times
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #702
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He wasn't though. Smith gave up way worse goals than Markstrom. There were just way less quality chances. Take last night. Not a single goal on Markstrom was bad. 3 on Smith were counting the disallowed goal.

Look at the game before. Markstrom had a puckhandling error - I've seen that hundreds of times from goalies. Smith let in one from the opposite blue line. I've seen that maybe a couple times in my life. Game three? Yeah Smith was better. Game two? Nah. Game one? Certainly not.
Markstrom got "better" as the series went on, but you are giving Smith too little credit for many big saves he made and focusing on the terrible Anderson goal. Stats that quantify goalie performance all show Smith was significantly better than Markstrom. As do basic stats like save percentage.

We were so used to our goalies being an after thought this year with how well the team played defensivly, that as soon as we can't lock it down we don't expect our goalies to make any saves.

There is no excuse for an 852 save percentage in the playoffs. None.

Since coming to Calgary Markstrom had had one terrible regular season, one great regular season, one great playoff series and one terrible playoff series. $6million in cap for a guy who shows up half the time.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #703
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames scored 20 goals in 5 games against the Oilers. It's unacceptable that they would have lost in 5 IMO. Plenty of blame to go around. Goaltending was not good enough, too many defensive breakdowns, and the forwards not able to score clutch goals at crucial times like the Oilers did. What a piss off of a series, went from the crappy "we want 10" chants 10 minutes into game 1 to losing 4 straight the following games afterwards.

This series was totally winnable, and the Flames blew it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #704
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

My boss is such a dick. He knew from the Dallas series in 20 to not mention the Flames after a loss yet he had to message me this morning saying that he wouldn't be in and that "Good morning, except maybe not because of the SpOilers". And yet he jumped on the Flames bandwagon and last week was telling me that after game 1 that he thought this was "our" year.

I've been fighting with quitting my job for over a year now and that almost made me insta-quit.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #705
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don’t get how you can conclude after a 5 minute review that there is “Conclusive” evidence that it was a “Definitive” kicking motion.

The fact that it took 5 minutes in itself means that it’s not conclusive or definitive.

Would love to know who made that call in the NHL Video Room to overturn the refs call on the ice.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #706
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Don’t get me wrong markstrom was bad this series. For me the biggest hole for the flames going forward is they need a true #1 dman.
Half the teams in the NHL lack a true #1D (including the team that just beat us). You pretty much have to draft them with a top-five pick.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #707
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What?

Then Kylington, despite the game 4 rebound winner against. Once his partner quality went up he was absolutely dynamic in shutting McDrai down almost every shift against. Even when McDavid did beat him he was mostly kept to the outside. He had some misplays with the puck or his skates (probably not untelated to his injury way back againdt Minnesota in February) but he also made a ton of great plays in all three zones. He was clearly the most talented defenseman on the ice for either team.
Kylington was pretty awful. Last night he was a giveaway machine with weak-ass passes up the middle right to Oilers forwards. Or straight up forgetting to take the puck with him in his own zone? Losing net front battles with RNH? IMO he may beat Hanifin for worst D performance, it's just that expectations for Hanifin are much higher.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:33 AM   #708
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so maybe this has been discussed already, but who blew the d-coverage on the game winner?

from waht i saw Hannifin had mcd as they came out from behind the net. Then he releases mcd to go to drai on the half boards, and lindholm sort of moves in there and the end result is mcd moves tot eh middle of the ice by himself.

I feel like if hannifin stays with mcd then lindholm can move towrds drai on the half boards and maybe o/t gets extended for a few more minutes.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #709
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I can’t decide if getting screwed by the league makes it better or worse. It certainly adds more “what ifs?” A loss in Edmonton on Saturday night would’ve been preferred to this (assuming losing was inevitable).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:35 AM   #710
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

The morning after and this still stings just so bad. Hopefully the Oilers are out in 4 games next round. That would really help in this whole mourning process.

Couldn't get the saves and our inability to simply bank the puck off the boards and out of our zone when Mcjesus was on the ice.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #711
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Markstrom got "better" as the series went on, but you are giving Smith too little credit for many big saves he made and focusing on the terrible Anderson goal. Stats that quantify goalie performance all show Smith was significantly better than Markstrom. As do basic stats like save percentage.

We were so used to our goalies being an after thought this year with how well the team played defensivly, that as soon as we can't lock it down we don't expect our goalies to make any saves.

There is no excuse for an 852 save percentage in the playoffs. None.

Since coming to Calgary Markstrom had had one terrible regular season, one great regular season, one great playoff series and one terrible playoff series. $6million in cap for a guy who shows up half the time.
I can't recall very many big saves for Smith and certainly not as many as Markstrom had. Smith wasn't tested much at all. All goalie stats lack significant context. They are all based on area of shot, and not screens, deflections, bounces off feet to open men, etc.

I'm not just focusing on Andersson's goal. The Gaudreau goal last night went under a pad far side. That goal was weak. Coleman's goal was going to be a weak goal bad angle goal by Backlund. Smith was bad.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #712
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a lot of ways last night was the end of an era for me. I was absolutely consumed by these playoffs and while I am disappointed to have to flip the page now I am ready to do it. For the last 3.5 weeks I have been drinking every other day. I spend too much time on here and online listening to pre/post game news. Going to all the games spending a lot of money on tickets, drinks, food. Abandoning my workout routine because I am hung over and tired. In that way I am ready to get back to life as normal.

I am done as a season ticket holder. I will still attend a few games next year but can’t make it to the 20+ I was at this year when combining playoffs and regular season. This summer will be interesting for the team. I won’t be watching hockey for the rest of the year. Hope the Oilers lose asap.

Excited to chat about the direction of this team going forward. I am ready for anything but really hope we can find a way to keep Johnny
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #713
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Holy hell Gaudreau is just too damn soft for NHL playoff hockey. There were so many instances that if he had just used his body, just even a little bit, the outcome might have been different. Especially on the series-winning goal where he just turned away from Draisatl when he could have pinned him.

He is of course not the only one to blame. Markstrom sucked, Tkachuk was invisible, and the rest were non-factors except Backs.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but we should let Johnny walk.

Last edited by Neeper; 05-27-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #714
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recognize that this is neither here nor there at this point, but does anybody know who initiated that goal review?

As far as I can tell, the refs cannot initiate a goal review unless there is a direct challenge from the opposing team coach. The only other review can be initiated by the situation room in Toronto, but that's only in the last minute of the game.

I question whether woodcroft would have challenged that play considering that it certainly wasn't cut and dry and that it would have given the flames a power play he was wrong.

I'd really like to understand this point of the game. It may not have changed the outcome of the series. It may not have even changed the outcome of the game, but it certainly was a pivotal point.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #715
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeper View Post
Holy hell Gaudreau is just too damn soft for NHL playoff hockey. There were so many instances that if he had just used his body, just even a little bit, the outcome might have been different. Especially on the series-winning goal where he just turned away from Draisatl when he could have pinned him.

He is of course not the only one to blame. Markstrom sucked, Tkachuk was invisible, and the rest were non-factors except Backs.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but we should let Johnny walk.
Dude that series winning goal is on Hanifin and Markstrom.

I don’t agree with your take at all. Johnny had a great playoffs.

If Johnny does leave, this team has only one option to improve: scortched earth rebuild.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #716
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
I recognize that this is neither here nor there at this point, but does anybody know who initiated that goal review?

As far as I can tell, the refs cannot initiate a goal review unless there is a direct challenge from the opposing team coach. The only other review can be initiated by the situation room in Toronto, but that's only in the last minute of the game.

I question whether woodcroft would have challenged that play considering that it certainly wasn't cut and dry and that it would have given the flames a power play he was wrong.

I'd really like to understand this point of the game. It may not have changed the outcome of the series. It may not have even changed the outcome of the game, but it certainly was a pivotal point.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I looked this up after the game.

There are certain infractions that aren't covered by Coaches Challenge that can be initiated by NHL Head Office at any time of the game.

Kicking motion falls under that category.

Still don't think it was conclusive evidence to overturn a call on the ice, but it is what it is.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #717
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so maybe this has been discussed already, but who blew the d-coverage on the game winner?
I think it was Gaudreau. The puck was 2' away from him and instead of grabbing the puck and risking a little body contact he turns the other way to cover the guy on the blueline. Leaving the dirty work for someone else. If Johnny took 2 strides toward the puck instead of backing away from a charging Draisaitl the goal never happens. Simply not willing to sacrifice his body to win a game.

He is great in the regular season and not sure where the Flames would be without him. But you can not win in the playoffs when your best player is not willing to lay it all on the line.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Young Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #718
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Flames are proving to be the Cleveland Browns of the NHL
The Oilers are the Browns. We just won the Pacific and the Western Conference 3 years ago.

The Oilers actually have a worse winning percentage than the Browns or any other pro sports team last 10 years and that is with 4 1st and a generational talent.

This win means so much to them because they are worse than the Browns and they have a ways to go still to fix that. 60 days ago they were still a dumpster fire, and next year they will have a worse roster.

Never confuse that.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #719
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post
I think it was Gaudreau. The puck was 2' away from him and instead of grabbing the puck and risking a little body contact he turns the other way to cover the guy on the blueline. Leaving the dirty work for someone else. If Johnny took 2 strides toward the puck instead of backing away from a charging Draisaitl the goal never happens. Simply not willing to sacrifice his body to win a game.

He is great in the regular season and not sure where the Flames would be without him. But you can not win in the playoffs when your best player is not willing to lay it all on the line.
How do you explain Noah Hanifin giving that puck away?

That goal is on Hanifin, and quite frankly a lot of the goals against in this series are results of Hanifin and Markstrom not doing their jobs well.

I think in this series we saw three of the biggest choke jobs in Flames history. Andersson, Hanifin, and Markstrom were absolutely terrible this series.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #720
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeper View Post
Holy hell Gaudreau is just too damn soft for NHL playoff hockey
Good thing this isn’t what it used to be.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good