Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #61
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m not pretending. I had never heard of the guy until today. I’m guessing he’s a rapper but haven’t bothered to google him.
This is probably how you know his music.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #62
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m guessing he’s a rapper

So then you probably have half a clue who he is. Based on those initials he could have been anything between a EDM artist and industrial solvent. Yet you guessed rapper.

It's not a knock on you specifically, I just find the " I have no idea who that is yet here I am commenting on it" posts to be quite hilarious in general.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

By all accounts Phillip over came a tough childhood, was an exceptional Wartime Naval Officer, and did his duties as consort without a complaint and ran the Firm.

I can also imagine him in his older years telling a lot of people to go F themselves, I don't know why but I can imagine it.

RIP

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #64
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont care whether Canada keeps the Queen or not ironically, as it costs us little and we dont have the crushing dead weight of a class system that the monarchy is an intrinsic and essential part of that the UK labours under, that said for the UK I would wish for nothing more than a complete dismantlement of the British upper classes, the royals, the house of Lords, the public school's (public as in incredibly expensive and private) all of it needs to be swept away

It is a system that consigns half the country to a life of under achieving built in subservience that is both immoral and also killing the UK economically, while promoting complete tools to run the country.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #65
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Didn't Australia just recently go through this debate, ending in a referendum to keep their own constitutional monarchy? I don't know anything about it, but I would expect that any course Canada would want to chart would end up looking very similar.
Barbados is the most recent country to have this debate. They are set to become a Republic this year.

Australia had a referendum in 1999 that failed 55% to 45%. There will be a push for another go when QEII dies.

I can't see Canada abolishing the Monarchy any time soon. The Canadian identity is very much tied to not being American and what better way to show that than keeping the Monarchy.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #66
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Other than 73yrs in the Queens shadow (as "consort") which is a crazy length for marriage I don't care much for any of the "royalty" which has subjected much of the world to their elitism. Don't get me wrong, they've been interesting distractions and provoke thought and have had some positive effects (think: awareness of some environmental/social/cultural stuff), but they've also had their share of negativity.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:36 AM   #67
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I dont care whether Canada keeps the Queen or not
I don't either but when Charles becomes King I want Canada to fire him to the moon.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #68
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
We are all so used to having a Queen, but when the day comes it will probably be 100 straight years of Kings.
They did get rid of male-preference primogeniture in the 2010s.

To get 100 straight years of Kings, George very likely has to have a male first which is about 50/50. Otherwise, George will likely have to live to 107+ (which might not be the unrealistic given his apparent long-living genes of his great-grandparents and access to the best healthcare in the world ).

But if something happens to him before he has kids, than Charlotte is next in line (assuming no one gets removed from succession for marriages or whatnot).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #69
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not pretending. I had never heard of the guy until today. I’m guessing he’s a rapper but haven’t bothered to google him.
I'm not pretending, guys. I just needed everyone to know that I didn't know who this guy I never heard of died. As one does.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #70
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Didn't Australia just recently go through this debate, ending in a referendum to keep their own constitutional monarchy? I don't know anything about it, but I would expect that any course Canada would want to chart would end up looking very similar.
Before getting into the Indigenous issues (Indian Act, treaties and the like and whether the crown is the "crown" or the "government") Canada does have a process to get rid of the Monarch.

It starts with all 10 provinces, the house of Commons and Senate agreeing to get rid of it. I'm not sure about Australia, but countries like Barbados simply required two-third vote to remove it and the Labour party had over two-third majority, so they pretty much just announced they would get rid of the monarch and that was that. A lot easier than getting over 50% vote in every single province (plus federally) when we can never agree on anything.

Probably would take an announcement of the family actually being lizard people as even being pedophiles and racists doesn't seem to be enough.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #71
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Probably would take an announcement of the family actually being lizard people as even being pedophiles and racists doesn't seem to be enough.
Without commenting on the pros/cons of the Monarchy, stating that every single royal is a racist pedophile because some of the family members may be/are is actually counter productive.

You can't call someone or even imply that someone is a pedophile because their cousin is accused of being one.

Even in this thread Prince Phillip was called a Nazi due to having cousins who were Nazis despite Phillip himself literally went to war fighting them.

My point is simply that if you want to argue what it would take to eliminate the Monarchy in Canada, over exaggeration is going to hurt your case not help it.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #72
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to derail the thread, but is there evidence Andrew carried out sex acts with pubescent or pre-pubescent children? Or are we calling all cases of sex with a minor pedophilia now?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #73
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMStrikesAgain View Post
Only rumours but prince george of cambridge has been spotted hanging around middle schools
I am not going to lie. You got me. I googled "Prince George of Cambridge" and the moment it came up I had a hearty chuckle
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #74
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Without commenting on the pros/cons of the Monarchy, stating that every single royal is a racist pedophile because some of the family members may be/are is actually counter productive.
Oh, did I miss the part where the royal family turned on Andrew and helped the FBI?

Meghan gets accused of not being nice to staff and they open up a public investigation, Andrew gets accused of ####ing a minor being sex-trafficked and they protect him. They might not be pedophiles, but they don't care that their family are.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #75
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Barbados is the most recent country to have this debate. They are set to become a Republic this year.

Australia had a referendum in 1999 that failed 55% to 45%. There will be a push for another go when QEII dies.

I can't see Canada abolishing the Monarchy any time soon. The Canadian identity is very much tied to not being American and what better way to show that than keeping the Monarchy.
There is a huge difference in the way Canadians perceive the Monarchy vs a country like Barbados or Bangladesh.

Mild indifference to the idea of the British Monarchy is probably not the best reason to open a can of worms on the Canadian Regime.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #76
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Oh, did I miss the part where the royal family turned on Andrew and helped the FBI?

Meghan gets accused of not being nice to staff and they open up a public investigation, Andrew gets accused of ####ing a minor being sex-trafficked and they protect him. They might not be pedophiles, but they don't care that their family are.
My cousin is a drug addict who has been to prison for stealing

Guess that makes me a terrible person
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #77
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My cousin is a drug addict who has been to prison for stealing

Guess that makes me a terrible person
Nah, but if your cousin was ####ing trafficked kids and you protected him from the authorities while refusing to denounce him, while going after your other cousin for dating a Black person, that would make you a terrible person. Subtle difference.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #78
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to defend Andrew for a second but if that's all you've got to hate on an entire extended family, that's pretty weak.

I don't care about 'the royals' much either way I just find your angry takes here quite amusing
Old 04-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #79
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet MI6 did kill Diana though
Old 04-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #80
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not hating on the extended family, I'm very clearly not going after Meghan. But the Queen and the palace, you know the monarch being discussed, have had complete opposite reaction and I don't know why we can't call them out for it.

Andrew gets accused by multiple women of raping them, his name shows up hundreds of times during the trial for Epstein, everyone knows he is guilty, and the palace "empathetically denies all allegations".

Meghan, after leaving the royal family as a working member no less, is accused by two former staff of being mean. The palace is "very concerned by the allegations" going so far as hiring an external law firm to conduct an investigation.

It's pretty appalling double standard, not sure why anyone would disagree.