Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2021, 08:11 PM   #1921
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^

There's value in what he does for males, but he could have started by making a clear a stand on far right, ugly human beings using his words in bad ways towards marginalized groups. He didn't do that, he refused because he knew they made up too much of his base.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #1922
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I've recently come to the realization that the far-right continues to grow due to the dismissal of it's followers "not really believing" that.

Last weekend I was on a zoom call for a friend's birthday. We were drinking and joking around, making the best of a province-wide lockdown.

We got to talking about an acquaintance that I know very well, whom I think more highly of bowel movements than I do of them.

At one point I we were talking vaccines and his name came up as he was posting anti-vax stuff on another friend's Facebook, I said "what would you expect from a far-right Trump supporter?" Where the boys said "yeah, but he doesn't *really* believe that." At which point I said "oh no, he's full on, hardcore far-right". He worships the far-left, but people dismiss it because he's awkward.

Makes me wonder how many of those people are out there, cultivating hate while others laugh off "they're not really like that"?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:44 AM   #1923
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Since a couple different threads touched on “cancel culture” recently with the same tired made up rhetoric about it, I thought I would share this video from the always great Some More News channel. It highlights some of the more important issues regarding how a platform like Twitter functionally encourages this behaviour and how we as a society can improve how we deal with things, but more importantly, it shows just how much of a grift the concept of cancel culture is. Worth a watch.

PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #1924
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That was really good, he's bang on. Cancel culture is not what the GOP claim it to be.

There are some problematic shifts in culture but that's not what the GOP addresses, they're just scaring people. Like with the vaccine.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #1925
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsifree View Post
I thought I would share this video from the always great Some More News channel.
It's sort of telling that you see this guy as "always great", but that I find him so unwatchably, densely obtuse that I can barely sit through a video of his. I don't think I've ever seen even one that I thought was well argued. It's like two ships passing in the night. There are two totally different, irreconcilable philosophical and cultural languages being spoken here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-06-2021 at 08:58 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #1926
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's sort of telling that you see this guy as "always great", but that I find him so unwatchably, densely obtuse that I can barely sit through a video of his. I don't think I've ever seen even one that I thought was well argued. It's like two ships passing in the night. There are two totally different, irreconcilable philosophical and cultural languages being spoken here.
Absolutely. A humorous, heavily sarcastic "I'm outraged!" schtick while he breaks down arguments in simple, decidedly non-academic ways using real-world examples to illustrate his points and not theoretical and philosophical musings on the state of the world, is kind of the opposite of your ballpark and definitely with in mine.

Just think of how much we would get along if you could laugh once in a while Corsi. Think of all the fun we could have!

Also, did you notice you quoted rube but using a line from my post? Weird glitch. I assume you had multiple posts selected for quotes.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #1927
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
A humorous, heavily sarcastic "I'm outraged!" schtick while he breaks down arguments in simple, decidedly non-academic ways using real-world examples to illustrate his points
I'd describe it more as selectively mischaracterizing examples to try to get the sorts of people most likely to enjoy his schtick to reinforce their pre-existing views without really examining them in any meaningful way, but you're right, the schtick itself doesn't help.
Quote:
Just think of how much we would get along if you could laugh once in a while Corsi. Think of all the fun we could have!
Are you saying we don't get along? You wound me deeply.
Quote:
Also, did you notice you quoted rube but using a line from my post? Weird glitch. I assume you had multiple posts selected for quotes.
Yeah that's really odd. I fixed it... I clicked quote, and then noticed it was Rube, and thought to myself, "huh, I thought Pepsi had posted that. Oh well", and just assumed I was just wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #1928
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Are you saying we don't get along? You wound me deeply.
I won't be truly happy until we've achieved obligatory symbiosis sweetie.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #1929
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I enjoy most of his videos as well. My type of humour, I suppose. What exactly are you objecting to, Corsi? That "cancel culture" is pure hypocrisy/grift when used most often?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #1930
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

NM: mean and unnecessary.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 05-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #1931
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the word “grift” taken on some new meaning? The conventional definition is a deceitful scheme to enrich the grifter.

Were Atwood, Gladwell, etc scheming to enrich themselves when they signed the Harper’s letter?

Did Stephen Fry take part in the Munk debate on political correctness for a freebie trip to Toronto?

Did Rowam Atkinson make his statement in support of free speech in order to enrich himself in some manner?

Has David Chapelle denounced cancel culture as part of some grift?

Did Barak Obama get some sort of financial reward for criticizing woke cancel culture?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #1932
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And yet you never actually point out the areas you find mischaracterized or obtuse. You just shake your fist angrily and claim it as such.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #1933
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And yet you never actually point out the areas you find mischaracterized or obtuse. You just shake your fist angrily and claim it as such.
I don't know what you're talking about, since this is literally the first time I've ever commented on this guy's videos, as far as I can remember, despite them being posted pretty frequently. I'm obviously not going to go through and analyze a video I don't enjoy watching, because that would require me to watch it again, and it would serve no purpose to do so. I briefly summarized my issue with his approach in the subsequent post, but as a longer treatise on it isn't likely to suddenly enlighten the people who enjoy this stuff, I'm not sure why I would spend a bunch of time putting something like that together, especially when I'm really not going to enjoy doing it.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #1934
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about, since this is literally the first time I've ever commented on this guy's videos, as far as I can remember, despite them being posted pretty frequently.
Nah, you've definitely done it previously.

Quote:
I briefly summarized my issue with his approach in the subsequent post, but as a longer treatise on it isn't likely to suddenly enlighten the people who enjoy this stuff, I'm not sure why I would spend a bunch of time putting something like that together, especially when I'm really not going to enjoy doing it.
Quote:
I'd describe it more as selectively mischaracterizing examples
Okay, but like, what's an example of this? FTR, I don't have a problem with you not enjoying it, but you should back up an accusation like this with an example. At the minimum it can help people like me who do enjoy it look out for it more.

I think he's very similar to John Oliver in content, with Cody's content generally being sourced better within the show, and Oliver's delivery/gimmick being more palatable.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #1935
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyways, here's massive idiot, Joe Rogan, using his mega-platform to spread dangerous COVID misinformation out amongst his legion of meathead idiot fans, less than a week after he had to apologize for the previous time he did it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1390303582600142860
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #1936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disgusting.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #1937
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Has the word “grift” taken on some new meaning? The conventional definition is a deceitful scheme to enrich the grifter.

Were Atwood, Gladwell, etc scheming to enrich themselves when they signed the Harper’s letter?

Did Stephen Fry take part in the Munk debate on political correctness for a freebie trip to Toronto?

Did Rowam Atkinson make his statement in support of free speech in order to enrich himself in some manner?

Did Barak Obama get some sort of financial reward for criticizing woke cancel culture?
It seems like you could have solved this intellectual conundrum by watching the video.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #1938
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

I would answer likely "no" to those examples, but yes to the numerous examples from the video. The point (as I interpreted it), is that there can be real harm caused to "regular" folk, but for the right wing media and certain Republicans, that is the last group that they are worried about. Engage the rage machine, profit.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #1939
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems like you could have solved this intellectual conundrum by watching the video.
But then how could he strawman the argument in the classic Cliff way he always does?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #1940
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone - especially white cis men - who defends cancel culture or the rising theme of progressive intolerance in the guise of protecting minority opinions has been completely hoodwinked. It's quisling-like cowardice to defend this new type of political phenomenon.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote