Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2021, 07:58 PM   #5281
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Squid Game is really good except for the English acting which is laughably bad.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #5282
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Norm Macdonald was on another level. He knew how to make people laugh with pure comedy. Never pandered, never grandstanded, never had a point to make. Comedy was always simple, pure and important to him - Make people laugh.
Louis CK was the same.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #5283
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Squid Game is really good except for the English acting which is laughably bad.
Do you ever watch content that's originally in a different language subbed? I prefer to only watch international content that way to avoid that type of issue.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #5284
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I enjoyed it, but Squid Game had more plot holes than …well…<insert something with a lot of plot holes>.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #5285
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Do you ever watch content that's originally in a different language subbed? I prefer to only watch international content that way to avoid that type of issue.
I don't think he's talking about the dubbed version of Squid Game. There are western "actors" that speak English even in the Korean original, and it's obvious that they're not actors at all, but likely just random westerners who just happened to be in Korea at the time and agreed to be in the show. Only one episode features them extensively, but it's the worst episode of the show as a result and they completely kill the emotional weight of the story
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #5286
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just noticed the English speaking by one of the characters. It was a little jarring just because I wasn’t expecting it. The subtitles stopped and I totally missed what they were saying because my brain wasn’t really thinking about the audio dialogue at all.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #5287
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, similar to Money Heist, you just gotta watch it in original language and read the subtitles- forces you to focus on the show anyway. The overdub is exceptionally bad on Squid Game.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #5288
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Watched Dave Chappelle special and wow that was the worst comedy I have ever watched.

Dave Chappelle has been my favorite comedian ever but that was just lazy bad comedy.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:33 AM   #5289
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Watched Dave Chappelle special and wow that was the worst comedy I have ever watched.

Dave Chappelle has been my favorite comedian ever but that was just lazy bad comedy.

That's how I felt about it too. I'm a fan of Chappelle, like many, but I barely laughed during that special. I wasn't offended or anything like that, I just kind of sat there with a smirk, and maybe 1 or 2 laughs.

I get what he's going for, but he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. A friend of mine told me it was a perfect special, so I was looking forward to it, but it just wasn't very funny.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #5290
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The audio mix is so bad on many shows these days that I turn on subtitles for half the english-language shows I watch. And it seems I’m not the only one.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...itter-captions
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #5291
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
That's how I felt about it too. I'm a fan of Chappelle, like many, but I barely laughed during that special. I wasn't offended or anything like that, I just kind of sat there with a smirk, and maybe 1 or 2 laughs.

I get what he's going for, but he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. A friend of mine told me it was a perfect special, so I was looking forward to it, but it just wasn't very funny.
I mean when you make the trans community the subject of so many jokes over the years it starts to seem like you do have a problem with then despite claims to the contrary.

I know many that act like the pronouns are the only thing they take issue with, but it becomes more clear talking to them that it's actually the people they are uncomfortable with. I won't put that on Dave, as I don't know for sure, but I will say this special came off as a rant more than a comedy.

And perhaps rightfully so after his friend killed herself.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #5292
jayswin

Exp:

But I will say this, the dumbest part of that special was him ending it with an emotional "I will not make fun of you people, I'm done talking about you...until we know we're laughing together".

It was nice in theory, but a little less nice when you just spent 90 minutes continuing to talk about and make fun of them before making that proclamation.

Kind of like Flames posters that type out a 3 paragraph fiery response in an argument and finish with "Anyways, I'm done with this now, it's getting out of hand".
Old 10-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #5293
jayswin

Exp:

And those are just reasons why I personally didn't like it, btw. He's allowed to do whatever he wants and I'm sure many loved it.

*So Joe Rogan and his ilk don't cry out "CANCEL CULTURE!!!"
Old 10-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #5294
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

we've been watching Maid, and i think it's well done and a good show to watch, but likely will be overlooked by many because of Squid Game.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #5295
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Speaking of squid game, I need to stop watching it right before bed.

2 episodes to go.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #5296
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Speaking of squid game, I need to stop watching it right before bed.

2 episodes to go.
Yep me too.

I had a nightmare last night I was in a Squid Game type show and woke up with my heart racing after I stabbed someone in the face.

But we're 4 episodes in now and I want to know what happens. And can only watch once the kids are in bed.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #5297
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And those are just reasons why I personally didn't like it, btw. He's allowed to do whatever he wants and I'm sure many loved it.

*So Joe Rogan and his ilk don't cry out "CANCEL CULTURE!!!"

Oh I agree. He's been a little too focused on it, especially in this one. Definitely more of a rant.

I get where he was trying to go, I just found it kind of messy, and not all that funny. I get his point, online mobs can be brutal, social media is a problem, and his story about his friend is a perfect example, she didn't deserve that. I don't like seeing people lose their careers for a joke they made on twitter 10 years ago, or anything like that either. I'm not offended in any way by this special, or most comedy, it just didn't make me laugh. If it was smart and/or funny, then that's something different. His final point wasn't the profound groundbreaking statement that he thought it was either.

The worst crowd is the Rogan crowd. He has some decent comics as friends, but Rogan himself, and his favourite opener, Tony Hinchcliffe are pretty mediocre to terrible.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #5298
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The audio mix is so bad on many shows these days that I turn on subtitles for half the english-language shows I watch. And it seems I’m not the only one.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...itter-captions
I use subtitles for 100% of shows I watch these days
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #5299
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean when you make the trans community the subject of so many jokes over the years it starts to seem like you do have a problem with then despite claims to the contrary.

I know many that act like the pronouns are the only thing they take issue with, but it becomes more clear talking to them that it's actually the people they are uncomfortable with. I won't put that on Dave, as I don't know for sure, but I will say this special came off as a rant more than a comedy.

And perhaps rightfully so after his friend killed herself.
Yeah I finished the Chappelle special last night, agreed. Outside of a couple funny lines the first 15 mins or so, it didn't really feel like a comedy special, especially the last half hour. I didn't really understand what it was even supposed to be. It took me 3 different attempts to get through it all because I wasn't really entertained watching it, and it just felt draining at times.

Granted I haven't followed Chappelle much since he came back, save for the odd viral clip on YouTube, I just loved his show back in the day...perhaps this is just who he is now. I had no idea he was mired in these beefs between himself and the LBGTQ community. The whole thing felt odd.

Last edited by Sainters7; 10-13-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #5300
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I use subtitles for 100% of shows I watch these days
I never used subtitles until I met my Vietnamese wife. She always wanted subtitles on because as ESL it was far easier to understand what she was watching. Now I'm so used to it I get annoyed watching shows without subtitles. I even setup a subtitle daemon for my Plex server (Bazarr) that automatically downloads subs for my library. It's just so nice to watch something at night at a lower volume without struggling to hear the dialog
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: